One of Rock's Greatest Albums Dropped 50 Years Ago (July 25, 1970)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
On July 25, 1970, Creedence Clearwater Revival released Cosmo's Factory... It spent
nine consecutive weeks at no. 1 on the
Billboard
200 and sold over four million copies in America. Six of the album's tracks were issued as three two-sided singles that all reached the top five of the
Billboard
Hot 100.

Once again, six singles reached the Top 5. The album was inescapable that summer. To me the best song, the 11-minute version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine.

I don't know much about Doug "Cosmo" Clifford, except that John Fogarty hates him with an intensity I reserve for fakers like that dude in Coldplay, but I've always been absolutely in love with what he doesn't on Grapevine and all the CCR songs, really. It's simple, but there are some pretty unexpected parts that crop up regularly.

Here's more on the album from ABC Radio.

Creedence Clearwater Revival's chart-topping 1970 album Cosmo's Factory was released 50 years ago this past week.
Cosmo's Factory was CCR's most successful studio effort, spending nine consecutive weeks at no. 1 on the Billboard 200 and selling over four million copies in America. Six of the album's tracks were issued as three two-sided singles that all reached the top five of the Billboard Hot 100.
They were "Travelin' Band" backed with "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Up Around the Bend" backed with "Run Through the Jungle," and "Lookin' Out My Back Door" backed with "Long as I Can See the Light," which, respectively, peaked at no. 2, no. 4 and no. 2.
"There were seven singles on it, if you count [the band's cover of the Motown classic 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine,']" CCR drummer Doug "Cosmo" Clifford explains to ABC Audio. "'Grapevine' was a single in the dance world, and then we had the other six. I mean, that's a lot for anyone. I don't know too many groups that have done it. I guess The Beatles must have done it sometime in their career. Maybe The [Rolling] Stones…Maybe Elvis [Presley]. But it's an exclusive club to be in."
Two of the double singles -- "Travelin' Band"/"Who'll Stop the Rain" and "Up Around the Bend"/"Run Through the Jungle" -- were released months before Cosmo's Factory, something Clifford says potentially could have worked against the album being successful.
"The so-called rule is, don't put songs in front of your album because you lose sales," Doug notes. "Well, the album was huge anyway."
Side A
"Ramble Tamble"
"Before You Accuse Me"
"Travelin' Band"
"Ooby Dooby"
"Lookin' Out My Back Door"
"Run Through the Jungle"

Side B
"Up Around the Bend"
"My Baby Left Me"
"Who'll Stop the Rain"
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
"Long as I Can See the Light"

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize all those songs were on the same album! I always liked Clifford's use of cymbals, especially where he did or didn't crash sometimes.

Last edited:

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite records.

We used to do our version of the CCR version of Grapvine in my first band. Actually we did a lot of CCR songs. Got us a lot of gigs back then.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is hard to know who to believe in this CCR feud. My sense is that John Fogarty is a musical genius and the creative driving force behind the band as well as being the main song writer, lyricist, vocalist and lead guitarist. He had the drive and the vision. He may also have been a megalomaniac who looked upon the other members as support staff.

The whole thing reminds me of Waters and Pink Floyd. He leaves the band then Gilmore has to hire people to write “A Momentary Lapse Of Reason” and Mason doesn’t even bother to play the drums.

I love Clifford’s drumming. Grapevine is a great example of his deep soul and original feel but give Fogarty his credit, Clifford had a smoking solo to riff off of. I also think his drumming on commotion is great.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lots of great albums released in 1970! My sort of top 10 in no particular order...

1. Live at Leeds - The Who
2. Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix
3. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
4. Live at Fillmore - Don Ellis
5. Chicago II
6. Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker
7. Jesus Christ Superstar - Andrew Lloyd Webber
8. Lizard - King Crimson
9. BS&T 3 - Blood Sweat and Tears
10. Chunga's Revenge - Frank Zappa
11. Woodstock Soundtrack

...and OMG the stuff I'm leaving out!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never saw CCR. Seen Fogarty multiple times. Always a great show. He just seems to enjoy playing so much. The first tour we saw, he got to play the CCR stuff For the first time after the lawsuit settled. Was amazing! So much pent-up energy! And sorry, but I’m fine with Kenny’s drumming. I think he plays to fit the song very well, and his energy is just undeniable. Took a few lessons with him, and he is such a nice guy to deal with. He really likes what he does.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cosmo's Factory blew me away once I first heard it. Played it often for about the next 6 years. I have to agree with Doug's playing. Very organic and it breathes. If fits the band well. Put a studio musician in there with dead perfect timing (and not the same soul) and it just doesn't work....sounds "fake" or manufactured like a machine.

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you seen a show with Kenny and Fogarty?
He’s done well every time I have seen them together, and he really tries to obey forward his instructions for what he wants. GF He’s done well every time I have seen them together, and he really tries to obey forward his instructions for what he wants. JF He’s very controlling even to the point of telling him but he is he would like him to play. So Kenny is really doing what he wants him to for the song. We have seen them at least a half dozen times, and each time we’ve come back mumbling about what a great show it was. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of great albums released in 1970! My sort of top 10 in no particular order...

1. Live at Leeds - The Who
2. Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix
3. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
4. Live at Fillmore - Don Ellis
5. Chicago II
6. Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker
7. Jesus Christ Superstar - Andrew Lloyd Webber
8. Lizard - King Crimson
9. BS&T 3 - Blood Sweat and Tears
10. Chunga's Revenge - Frank Zappa
11. Woodstock Soundtrack

...and OMG the stuff I'm leaving out!
Let me add a few more to it.

1. Animals - Pink Floyd
2. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
3. Houses Of The Holy- Led Zeppelin
4. Deep Purple - Machine Head
5. Genisis - A Trick Of The Tail
6. Cant By A Thrill - Steely Dan
7. Eat A Peach - The Allman Brothers
8. Derek & The Dominoes - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
9. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
10. The Clash - London Calling (yeah, it was 1979)

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is hard to know who to believe in this CCR feud. My sense is that John Fogarty is a musical genius and the creative driving force behind the band as well as being the main song writer, lyricist, vocalist and lead guitarist. He had the drive and the vision. He may also have been a megalomaniac who looked upon the other members as support staff.
The proof in 'who to believe' is in asking the question: what have the others ever done outside of or after CCR? Not too much.
Sorry but its pretty clear this band was 99% Fogerty, his songs, his hooks. I'm not sure he viewed the others as support staff. No disrespect intended but CCR would have been just as great with 2 other guys for bass and drums.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Let me add a few more to it.

1. Animals - Pink Floyd
2. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
3. Houses Of The Holy- Led Zeppelin
4. Deep Purple - Machine Head
5. Genisis - A Trick Of The Tail
6. Cant By A Thrill - Steely Dan
7. Eat A Peach - The Allman Brothers
9. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
10. The Clash - London Calling (yeah, it was 1979)
All great albums - and all from the '70's - though not necessarily 1970 (making them 50 years old this year)

But many of those artists did have records released in 1970

1. Animals Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
2. Sticky Fingers Get Your Ya's Ya's Out - The Rolling Stones
3. Houses Of The Holy Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin
4. Machine Head Deep Purple In Rock - Deep Purple
5. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail "No Genesis yet in 1970"
6. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill "No Steely Dan yet in 1970"
7. Eat A Peach Idlewild South - The Allman Brothers
9. Aqualung Benefit - Jethro Tull
10. The Clash - London Calling (yeah, it was 1979) (obviously no Clash yet in '70)

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
read his "Fortunate Son" autobiography...he doesn't have favorable opinions or reflections on anyone in CCR...he'll harbor deep resentment till his dying breath.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I bought Cosmo's Factory with my birthday money in 8th grade and I still recall it was $3.33 at Kmart.
First LP rekkid I ever bought.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
read his "Fortunate Son" autobiography...he doesn't have favorable opinions or reflections on anyone in CCR...he'll harbor deep resentment till his dying breath.
Of course, you'd be resentful of your bandmates, too. They sided with Fantasy Records when it sued John Fogerty for allegedly copying his own songs.

In the bizarre self-plagiarism case, Fantasy and its boss Saul Zaentz claimed that Fogerty's 1985 song Old Man Down the Road was merely his old Creedence song, Run Through the Jungle, with a new title... Fogerty won the case, but then had to jump through further legal hoops to win back $1.35m dollars in costs.