One of Rock's Greatest Albums Dropped 50 Years Ago (July 25, 1970)

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Doug "Cosmo" Clifford, except that John Fogarty hates him with an intensity I reserve for fakers like that dude in Coldplay, but I've always been absolutely in love with what he doesn't on Grapevine and all the CCR songs, really. It's simple, but there are some pretty unexpected parts that crop up regularly.
I've had him on The Drum Shuffle twice and loved every second of it. We've stayed in touch and he even sent me a solo record that he did in the 80's that wasn't released until April of this year. He's a good dude that I'm glad to call a friend.

If you're interested:

First episode
The Return of Doug Clifford

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t stand to hear Aronoff play those tunes .
I saw Aronoff backing Fogerty at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. He overplayed way too much for my tastes. Fogerty seemed to like it, he made some sort of comment about how he loves the way this guy pushes him. Go figure.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Aronoff backing Fogerty at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. He overplayed way too much for my tastes. Fogerty seemed to like it, he made some sort of comment about how he loves the way this guy pushes him. Go figure.
Aronoff just sounds “ generic “ to me .
Just slam the sheeet out of them ..

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cosmo's Factory blew me away once I first heard it. Played it often for about the next 6 years. I have to agree with Doug's playing. Very organic and it breathes. If fits the band well. Put a studio musician in there with dead perfect timing (and not the same soul) and it just doesn't work....sounds "fake" or manufactured like a machine.
I get it was popular. I get how it works (because IMO the songs are so great and the vocals so right for them). But CCR always struck me as "meh" for the exact opposite reasons you've described digging it for. I mean, there is a big gap between CCR and "dead perfect timing" - and within that gap lies the potential for a lot more groove. Or maybe better, more of the type of grooves that I prefer. Because again, it grooved in its limited way - though again, to my ears, more from the top down than the bottom up (cementing it of being little interest to me as a drummer). Just was never my cup of tea.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it was popular. I get how it works (because IMO the songs are so great and the vocals so right for them). But CCR always struck me as "meh" for the exact opposite reasons you've described digging it for. I mean, there is a big gap between CCR and "dead perfect timing" - and within that gap lies the potential for a lot more groove. Or maybe better, more of the type of grooves that I prefer. Because again, it grooved in its limited way - though again, to my ears, more from the top down than the bottom up (cementing it of being little interest to me as a drummer). Just was never my cup of tea.
It's a pity you missed the boat.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Let me add a few more to it.

1. Animals - Pink Floyd
2. Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
3. Houses Of The Holy- Led Zeppelin
4. Deep Purple - Machine Head
5. Genisis - A Trick Of The Tail
6. Cant By A Thrill - Steely Dan
7. Eat A Peach - The Allman Brothers
8. Derek & The Dominoes - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
9. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
10. The Clash - London Calling (yeah, it was 1979)
I have most of these lps ( who doesnt) but my memory did not ring up 1970
so I double checked, I am afraid your 1970 is a tad off

Animals. 1977
Sticky fingers 4/71
Houses of the holy 3/73
Machine head 3/72
A Trick of the Tail. 2/76
Cant buy a thrill 11/72
Eat A Peach. 2/72
Aqualung. 3/71

2/10 aint bad, Ha !

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have most of these lps ( who doesnt) but my memory did not ring up 1970
so I double checked, I am afraid your 1970 is a tad off

Animals. 1977
Sticky fingers 4/71
Houses of the holy 3/73
Machine head 3/72
A Trick of the Tail. 2/76
Cant buy a thrill 11/72
Eat A Peach. 2/72
Aqualung. 3/71

2/10 aint bad, Ha !
My bad. I thought it was 70's not 1970.

Chicago – Chicago II
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
Bitches Brew – Miles Davis
Closer to Home – Grand Funk Railroad
John Barleycorn Must Die – Traffic
Eric Clapton – Eric Clapton
Paranoid – Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin III – Led Zeppelin
The Man Who Sold the World – David Bowie
All Things Must Pass – George Harrison

Last edited:

owr

Reaction score
Not disregarding your opinion, in full disclosure I have shared it based on MTV Mellencamp videos from my youth. But I was just checking out some of the "Love for Levon" concert tracks last night and was surprised how restrained he actually was. Its funny because at first I thought "that looks like Kenny, but can't be based on how he is playing...". It makes me wonder if I'm still holding onto a bias against him from the 12 year old version of myself, which is quite silly.

Here's one example, one of my favorite songs of all time. Doesn't hurt that its got double drums going with Steve Jordan as well:

Not really relevant to the CCR discussion (other than bands that split over drama related to song writing credit), just sharing based on the Kenny content. Carry on.

Aronoff just sounds “ generic “ to me .
Just slam the sheeet out of them ..

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not disregarding your opinion, in full disclosure I have shared it based on MTV Mellencamp videos from my youth. But I was just checking out some of the "Love for Levon" concert tracks last night and was surprised how restrained he actually was. Its funny because at first I thought "that looks like Kenny, but can't be based on how he is playing...". It makes me wonder if I'm still holding onto a bias against him from the 12 year old version of myself, which is quite silly.

Here's one example, one of my favorite songs of all time. Doesn't hurt that its got double drums going with Steve Jordan as well:

Not really relevant to the CCR discussion (other than bands that split over drama related to song writing credit), just sharing based on the Kenny content. Carry on.
Perhaps an example without another Drummer is in order .

TrickRoll

Reaction score
Lots of great albums released in 1970! My sort of top 10 in no particular order...

1. Live at Leeds - The Who
2. Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix
3. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
4. Live at Fillmore - Don Ellis
5. Chicago II
6. Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker
7. Jesus Christ Superstar - Andrew Lloyd Webber
8. Lizard - King Crimson
9. BS&T 3 - Blood Sweat and Tears
10. Chunga's Revenge - Frank Zappa
11. Woodstock Soundtrack

...and OMG the stuff I'm leaving out!
I appreciate you mentioning Don Ellis. His contribution doesn't get recognized much these days but at the time he was getting a lot of attention for his fusion of jazz, rock, complex metrics, and East meets West traditions.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just want to say when you have Shawn Pelton playing percussion instead of drumming, man, what a life choice...I think I'd have found a third kit for the show. LOL

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I appreciate you mentioning Don Ellis. His contribution doesn't get recognized much these days but at the time he was getting a lot of attention for his fusion of jazz, rock, complex metrics, and East meets West traditions.
Yep, I couldn't agree more. And as for me personally, Don and his music was a huge inspiration and influence to me as a fledgling drummer, before being instrumental to the start of my career as well.