One owner question

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are not the original owner of an item you have for sale, or you are not selling on behalf of the original owner, how can you advertise said item for sale as "one owner" when in fact you are the second owner?

Always thought this sales tactic to be dishonest.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean a dealer advertising a used car as "one owner" means he hasn't put the title in his personal name and is just brokering. That's what it means. A medium just moving it on

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It means absolutely nothing to me. Just another bullsquat tag line to be lumped in with "Bonham", and all the other drivel people use to grab attention.

If I was really interested in antagonizing, I'd ask for the original bill off sale with their name on it.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand a dealer not titling a one owner car in their name. That's about the only "exception" I would consider.....assuming they don't joy ride the car for a summer and put thousands of miles on it.
But that doesn't work for collectibles imo. if you are a dealer who bought from the original owner, you are now the 2nd owner. I see dealers who buy rare collectibles and put their names on the official pedigrees.
You can't have it both ways dealers.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a "used" vehicle from a ford dealer that was owned by one person. The first owner traded it back to the ford dealer. The ford dealer put it up for sale. The ford dealer never used it as a dealership vehicle. I bought it from the ford dealer. I am the second owner.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand a dealer not titling a one owner car in their name. That's about the only "exception" I would consider.....assuming they don't joy ride the car for a summer and put thousands of miles on it.
how about if they tune it service it inspect it and detail it are you ok with that.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about if they tune it service it inspect it and detail it are you ok with that.
I'm very happy with that. Saves me the trouble. Just don't want to see them using the car for daily lunch runs or other trips. Test drives for potential customers is fine.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I don't care too much about how many people owned it. As long as it is in good shape without any altered funny business, I'm happy. If I am buying from the original owner then I think it's cool to ask some questions about the history as I find that stuff interesting. I have a 1969 mod orange super classic that was grabbed out of a local music store for me by my guitar playing bandmate years ago. He knew I wanted one really bad and this showed up in the mom and pop music store near his house. The original owner sold it to the store who sold it my friend who then told me I owned him the cost of the set. So I guess that technically makes me the 4th owner. Lol

It's actually kind of funny because after I got the set, my band was playing a big outdoor show downtown and I used the set. I had probably had it no more than a month. As I was packing up, this older guy asks me about the set and says that he was the original owner. He's not even really a drummer but his friends told him he needed a set as he used to tap on everything when he was in College in the late 60's. He bought the set off the sales floor in 1969 and it stayed mostly unplayed until I got them in the mid 2000's. My only gripe, which I never told him is that he must not have stored them in cases. The sun got the top of the bass drum pretty good and the 13 and 16 got hit too. It's a great set that I love but had he used cases, they would have been virtually unfaded.