header.nohb.html

One question and one observation about the Paiste Signature Dry Dark Ride

2oo2

Reaction score
The recent thread on Paiste Colorsounds piqued my interest and made me wonder if the Paiste Signature Dry Dark Ride has some kind of paint/color coating, or it’s the result of a special surface treatment or “baking” in the oven.

I have the 22” version (picture is a bit old) but can attest the black surface doesn’t chip or peel with use, so I think it’s not paint but just the natural color of the cymbal. How did Paiste do it? My best guess is they just treated the surface with heat or applied some special process that doesn’t involve paint, but I’m not sure what method Paiste knows that produces this beautiful finish.
ED541F86-F021-489C-9A7B-284FD9649CED.jpeg

And now for the observation… I was randomly looking for other pictures of this cymbal and found that all of them have almost the same hammering pattern! Even 20” vs 22” versions have approximately the same geometry (pictures were obtained from the internet, I can remove them in case they break the rules)
998AC3F4-53C1-4E13-8282-6D40199179BC.jpeg

82DA3233-BE80-423B-A54C-0382F8A35D72.jpeg

Props to the guy that hammered these cymbals, consistency and pattern-memorizing is astounding!

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 20" what an awesome versatile cymbal.

I'm with you as I don't think its "paint" or a coating. I do believe it has the mystical paiste protector coating on it.
Never noticed the the hammering pattern til you mentioned it.
Thought I read or heard Carl Plalmer say this and the heavy bell ride were the basis for his signature ride

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recent thread on Paiste Colorsounds piqued my interest and made me wonder if the Paiste Signature Dry Dark Ride has some kind of paint/color coating, or it’s the result of a special surface treatment or “baking” in the oven.

I have the 22” version (picture is a bit old) but can attest the black surface doesn’t chip or peel with use, so I think it’s not paint but just the natural color of the cymbal. How did Paiste do it? My best guess is they just treated the surface with heat or applied some special process that doesn’t involve paint, but I’m not sure what method Paiste knows that produces this beautiful finish.
View attachment 580425

And now for the observation… I was randomly looking for other pictures of this cymbal and found that all of them have almost the same hammering pattern! Even 20” vs 22” versions have approximately the same geometry (pictures were obtained from the internet, I can remove them in case they break the rules)
View attachment 580426

View attachment 580427

Props to the guy that hammered these cymbals, consistency and pattern-memorizing is astounding!

B15 production is convoluted, difficult and very expensive!

The whole blank has to be reheated and quenched in order to anneal it before pressing in the bell (just like B20), see below.
With B8, they only have to heat the center in order to press in the bell (no quenching either).
During the reheating process, the blank turns black, I assume Paiste leaves this finish on the Signature Dry Dark Ride, otherwise they would clean it off (see last two pics below) before hammering.

1662057637012.png

1662057669112.png

1662057908140.png

1662057693532.png

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the 22" version and love this ride. It's my go to for recording. It took me 3 years and $500 to find one, but a keeper for sure. The finish is really cool.

I also have the 22" Dark Metal Ride, which appears to be similar but has some lathing on the edge and bell. Another good ride, slightly more ring.

2oo2

Reaction score
I have the 22" version and love this ride. It's my go to for recording. It took me 3 years and $500 to find one, but a keeper for sure. The finish is really cool.
Agree, they're pretty hard to find (the 22" particularly), I guess the production run wasn't that big and they'll become collectible with the passing years (if not already). Have not recorded mine but I'm positive it records beautifully as it actually has some wash instead of pure ping, very impressive considering it's unlathed and the size of those hammer marks (you'd expect a much drier cymbal).

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe first generation RUDEs were prototypes .

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the 22” as well, I’ve had mine since 99/00. At that point they were already discontinued and only the 20” was available. A buddy of mine had a half dozen of them at one point including a prototype 21” I believe. They all looked different, some had more streaks in them than others, etc. It’s certainly not the Colorsound coating as it’s too inconsistent from cymbal to cymbal.