ONE snare drum only

Sammybear

Reaction score
If you could only have ONE snare drum (In the context of being part of an entire kit playing a wide variety of music genres....rock, pop, r & b, jazz, fusion, blues, country, etc.), what would it be (Mfgr., size, shell, rims, snares, etc.)?

Look forward to your input.....thx!

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A million people, a million answers.......A million reasons why. This question has been posted many times at DFO, and likely all other drumming sites. The vote usually comes down to Supraphonic and Black Beauty.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a little biased since I own one, but my 8x14 INDe maple snare with stock wires has cured my G.A.S. for good it seems. It can go high and piccolo-ish, or deep and ballady, and anywhere in between while maintaining gorgeous tone. It's sensitive enough for a brushes-only gig, but I can also slam backbeats all night with authority. It also sounds great when played like a "conga," which is important for me. The hardware is light and very functional, and it's totally beautiful and very well made.

Probably the last snare I'll ever have!

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll be the first here, 6.5x14 Supraphonic, with triple flange hoops, standard snare set and coated Ambassador, that setup simply works for everything from folk to metal. That drum simply has the sound I'm looking for. I have several other snares, and they all get used and sound fantastic, but the Supra is played more than any of the others.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
N&C Solid Shell Maple 6X14 with triple flange hoops and their own cam action snare wires can cover a whole lot of ground I think.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with Acro because.... if you can only have one, COST is likely a major reason. That and it's aluminum.

bluejacketsfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with a Pearl 6.5" x 14" Brass Free Floater. It's beautiful to my ears, and has been for the better part of 25 years.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my Ludwig Black Magic stainless steel 14" x 6.5". It is taken apart for cleaning right now, but has been used on all of my gigs since 2010.

Tonight and this past July, she got a vacation for upkeep. back soon though!!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
poppies77 said:
I'm a little biased since I own one, but my 8x14 INDe maple snare with stock wires has cured my G.A.S. for good it seems. It can go high and piccolo-ish, or deep and ballady, and anywhere in between while maintaining gorgeous tone. It's sensitive enough for a brushes-only gig, but I can also slam backbeats all night with authority. It also sounds great when played like a "conga," which is important for me. The hardware is light and very functional, and it's totally beautiful and very well made.

Probably the last snare I'll ever have!
I've got to agree with this. Mine's a 6 1/2 x 14 with a COB hoop. I wouldn't even have to think about which one to keep - it would be that one.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any of the 5x14 wooden ones that I own. Nearly all are single-ply, and all are perfect for the way that I play.