header.nohb.html

ONE Snare Drum

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

1668869918150.png

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Gretsch Brooklyn Standard.

I save my G.A.S. for camera lenses and vintage road bicycle parts.

Last edited:

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm up to 4 snares, but I went several years using a 14x6.5 Gretsch Renown maple snare for everything. I happened upon a cheap LM402 and wanted to see what the fuss was about, and have used that for most things this year.
I play Southern rock and country with a 70s vibe, so obviously different styles of music may be better served by different drums.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

View attachment 593334
I've played on a lot of generic kits in my time and almost all came with a 14x5 chrome steel snare drum.
It's a sound I've become very used to, so (hypothetically) if I only had to have one drum, that would probably be it.
That being stated, my "kit-of-choice" these days is a 90's Sonor Force Custom and it came with a matching wood shelled snare drum, so the reality is, I'd just run with that one.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 593334
That's the same snare that came with my Slingerland kit when I bought it in 1978. It's the only part of the kit I sold after I found this matching maple Slingerland snare. This Slingerland is the only snare drum I owned and used for about thirty years.

20190721_143741.jpg

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two, only because my Ludwig kit came with a Pioneer which I seldom use. My main snare is a 6.5x14 maple Craviotto. It's the only snare I need at this time. It has an extensive tuning range, has great sensitivity, and an excellent rim click sound. I prefer this over my previous ply and metal shell snares, which is why I sold off my others. Personally, I can't see owning 20-30+ different snare drums unless you are a hired gun studio musician. For most gigging hobbyists, having a few high quality snare drums (metal and wood) should be sufficient.

Last edited:

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a fluid amount of snare drums , and they all get equal stand time . If I absolutely had to get down to just one snare drum only ? It would be the pictured 5” Ludwig Black Beauty . It has a ton of sentimental value as well as it being a superb sounding snare .
DA45BD12-D60D-4D94-9DF1-94CB099F93B1.jpeg

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl Free Floater . With the right head and tuning, I can get just about any classic snare sound out of it . Full crisp response is always there , no matter what shell I use - metal, wood, acrylic .

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only have one; at a time. Early/Mid 60's I played a Rogers snare drum till 1994 and love it, sold it and purchased a (I believe) late 80's Ludwig Supra and still plying it today. It's so nice and I'm so used to it I'm afraid to buy a second snare, possibly wood. I've thought about but haven't. LOL

sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tony_H

Reaction score
I technically have two snares. But when I bought my DW Collectors Maple 6.5x14, I moved the Tama 5.5X14 to my practice kit so it doesn't usually see daylight.

My DW does everything I need it to for live performances, and I don't really have any desire to buy anything else.