header.nohb.html

ONE Snare Drum

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
S
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

View attachment 593334
Stick with your pick. It is difficult to find a better snare drum, especially when you evaluate based on how well they record.

donbseattle

Reaction score
I hope the thread police aren't watching, because I posted something about this topic a couple days back in my very own thread. Going all the way back to the 60's, I LOVED the glossy, technicolor Ludwig catalogs. So many kits in there had pearl or lacquer finishes and chrome snare drums. A little mutha trucka called the Supraphonic. Recently, I got myself a minty 1966 Supra on ebay. baseball bat muffler handle, which is the essential factor on this snare drum, because it looks cool!

I got addicted for years to shells with brass in them. I felt brass gave me a little more horsepower on the rim shots and helped cut through "the band".

I seem to have released the brass thing this year. I am delighted with this vintage no-brass Supraphonic.

I DO think two snare drums is the perfect number. One metal, one wood.

A top pro "international" jazz drummer pal of mine likes to have a drum set that comes with a wooden snare and he uses THAT snare. Kind of a Billy Higgins concept of having your drums as one family. No crap in the bass drum. Snare that fits with the sound of the kit. He does not dig "boutique" snare drums like Craviottos. He thinks they do not blend with the kit.

Saves himself alot of dough.

I have learned a new ancient secret for making the snare you have sound great and work in your playing................

wait for it...........................

Double your snare drum playing ability. Your snare drum will sound twice as good.

Sell 2 of your 29 freaking snare drums and invest in some snare drum lessons with a couple of masterful teachers.

Go find a drum corps nut and learn how to get your mechanics more together and to make your double strokes sound like a machine gun.

Then go find one of these geaky a*ssss symphonic guys and learn how to play a seamless multi bounce roll from a whisper to thunderous.

Then learn how to play snare drum solo materials that make you shape phrases, and be able to play musically at a soft whisper dynamic.

While you are at it, learn how to read music, play some piano or guitar, and learn some music theory.

Then your moldy 6 lug, ugly duco 1961 snare drum with the nickel played lugs will sound real cool, just like you.

Here is a chance to sell your 42 snare drums. Sell them and then just buy this right here:

Last edited:

Dzdrum

Reaction score
I own 12 snare drums, however, 4 of them are museum drums as I call them since I do not play them due to issues with lugs cracking:
1961 Rogers Dynasonic wood with bread and butter lugs - those lugs crack under any amount of tension
1945-46 Slingerland Radio King - lug will crack
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Concert King - lugs will crack
1941 WFL with zeppher lugs

I just keep these around to look at them! Hahahahahaha

laporte48

Reaction score
I have three Tama snares that can be used on my 1980 superstars, but the 6 1/2 x 14 (with King Beat strainer) that came with the drums I like the most and I've used it as my principal snare ever since.

Attachments

• DSC_3149.jpeg
    DSC_3149.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 4

ogdor

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 5 Supra (with bowties, which I love), just to reference the standard, the iconic snare. I must say, though I'm still dialling in the Supra, that my 6.5 ten lug birch Sonix is its equal in terms of tunability and versatility. There are venues where the Supra would just be too much bouncing off a hard ceiling.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I confess that I own two, but only because the snare that came with my Gretsch Catalinas frustrated me enough to replace it with a used DW Performance, and I don't see any reason to sell the Cat snare separately. I'll wait till I sell the whole kit and include the snare.

Although others might, I'm afraid that I can't enthusiastically recommend the DW snare. It's fine, doesn't frustrate me, and for the price I paid I can't complain, but we're not soul mates.

In the old days, my one and only snare was a Premier 2000. I guess I liked it for everything because I played it for everything for almost 20 years, and it never occurred to me to buy another. However, I decided not to buy another Premier 2000 these days because the drum is a little finicky, and I feared hassles with a 50-year-old finicky drum. Otherwise, I would have bought another Premier 2000.

Obviously, I'm a member of the one-snare school of drumming--just get one you like and get comfortable with it--and I don't even hear the differences that others must hear in different snares. On the flip side, I have twice replaced a snare I didn't like (the Premier 2000 replaced a plain Ludwig) so I must hear some differences between snare drums. Those who own and use multiple snares probably have a more refined ear than I have (as well as a higher credit card limit).

rsmittee

Reaction score
I'm up to 11 snares with the 3 beauties I added this year. I'm really liking all 3 of these.
20221117_155948.jpg

For a long time, I only had my Yamaha PTC (8000) 6.5 x 14, and it did everything I wanted by tweaking heads and tuning. Lately, it seems my cheapo Acro is emerging as my most versatile drum. I've played a variety of styles and venues with it, live and in the studio. I can get so many great snare sounds out of this drum.

nnbpwdaqr8a7iwhtficg.jpg

Flamateur Hour

Reaction score
Tale of Two Ludwigs: Acrolite vs. LM402K Supra. If I had to narrow them down, I'd go with the Supraphonic as it has been with me for a long time and through a lot of long sets, however they split my workload about 50/50. I'd like to get a 14x5 wood snare with a lot of snare bite at some point but honestly the Acrolite can pull off a "wood" sound so convincingly in the studio that it's never been a problem.
20221121_140304.jpg
20221121_140146.jpg

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since we are on this topic, and also on the latest blog about Buddy Rich, Mel Torme' wrote a great biography, "Traps, the Drum Wonder - The Life of Buddy Rich". There's a short chapter in the book, devoted to Buddy's lifelong search for the perfect snare drum. It's a lot of fun to read.

1669142419862.png

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely could not weed the my still modest 4 snares collection to "only 1". But when I'm at home, my 5x14 Rogers Holiday snare seems to have all the stand time. I've come back to the 5" depth after a lot of time on 6s and 6 1/2s. There ain't much this little Rogers cannot do in the styles I play at home these days (mostly Americana, RnB, soul and funk based music.) I like the punch, the stick feel, the clarity. And I really like how well it responds to processing such as EQ and compression.

I think if I had to weed down to 1, this "Little Rogers that could" would probably be it ;-)
View attachment 593795
Mine was Blue Sparkle, looking at yours brings back so many memories.

sherm

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get down to one snare? I can't even get down to one kit! I have 4 snares + 1 incoming and I don't think I have a favorite amongst them. They all do different things for me.

Aeromedic

Reaction score
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

View attachment 593334
Only one for me. Great sound, feel and responsive too. I look after it and it looks after me. Ajax Metasonic.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Get down to one snare? I can't even get down to one kit! I have 4 snares + 1 incoming and I don't think I have a favorite amongst them. They all do different things for me.
Hey, I've got 4 kits I need to get rid of. I hear you're looking for a few. Take my kits! Please! ;)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I hope the thread police aren't watching, because I posted something about this topic a couple days back in my very own thread. Going all the way back to the 60's, I LOVED the glossy, technicolor Ludwig catalogs. So many kits in there had pearl or lacquer finishes and chrome snare drums. A little mutha trucka called the Supraphonic. Recently, I got myself a minty 1966 Supra on ebay. baseball bat muffler handle, which is the essential factor on this snare drum, because it looks cool!

I got addicted for years to shells with brass in them. I felt brass gave me a little more horsepower on the rim shots and helped cut through "the band".

I seem to have released the brass thing this year. I am delighted with this vintage no-brass Supraphonic.

I DO think two snare drums is the perfect number. One metal, one wood.

A top pro "international" jazz drummer pal of mine likes to have a drum set that comes with a wooden snare and he uses THAT snare. Kind of a Billy Higgins concept of having your drums as one family. No crap in the bass drum. Snare that fits with the sound of the kit. He does not dig "boutique" snare drums like Craviottos. He thinks they do not blend with the kit.

Saves himself alot of dough.

I have learned a new ancient secret for making the snare you have sound great and work in your playing................

wait for it...........................

Double your snare drum playing ability. Your snare drum will sound twice as good.

Sell 2 of your 29 freaking snare drums and invest in some snare drum lessons with a couple of mastereful teachers.

Go find a drum corps nut and learn how to get your mechanics more together and to make your double strokes sound like a machine gun.

Then go find one of these geaky a*ssss symphonic guys and learn how to play a seamless multi bounce roll from a whisper to thunderous.

Then learn how to play snare drum solos materials that make you shape phrases, and be able to play musically at a soft whisper dynamic.

While you are at it, learn how to read music, play some piano or guitar, and learn some music theory.

Then your moldy 6 lug, ugly duco 1961 snare drum with the nickel played lugs will sound real cool, just like you.

Here is a chance to sell your 42 snare drums. Sell them and then just buy this right here:

Hey Donny!
How's it hangin'?!
I coulda swore that was a Supra you were playing that time I came to see you in Meydenbauer.
Was that a brass Super?
I see you're stealing my mantra's again, too ("two snare drums; one metal, one wood").
What's that they say? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?
Consider me extremely flattened (even though I stole that from someone else many moons ago :-D )

Last edited:

waterdrummer

Reaction score
I'm up to 11 snares with the 3 beauties I added this year. I'm really liking all 3 of these.
View attachment 593773

For a long time, I only had my Yamaha PTC (8000) 6.5 x 14, and it did everything I wanted by tweaking heads and tuning. Lately, it seems my cheapo Acro is emerging as my most versatile drum. I've played a variety of styles and venues with it, live and in the studio. I can get so many great snare sounds out of this drum.

View attachment 593772
You got good taste, buddy. Ludwig is one of a kind.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I have one snare drum... per set.

I do have two other snares. One I got because a local guy sold it before making it big and getting a Ludwig endorsement, so he decided to stick with one manufacturer when he did. I sold a couple other snares, one very similar one, to get it. It's become more of a "music history" piece for me, although it was meant to be played when I got it. The other is a 14x5.5" aluminum Black Panther. I sold my other extra snares to get that one. Turns out that I don't use it either, but they were hard to find when I got it, so I got it just in case I never got another opportunity.

In reality, I just use the snare that came with my kit.