header.nohb.html

ONE Snare Drum

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, apparently, no one has only ONE snare. Interesting.....
From the day I got my first drum in 1964 until I bought my Black Beauty and my Ludwig Legacy Maple kit in 2013 I never owned more than one snare drum at a time. (I still own the Ludwig Classic kit with its Valley Drum Shop custom 7x14 snare I was using up till then.) Then I bought my Dyna-sonic reissue in 2019 to make it three snares, the most I've ever owned at one time.

Of those three if I had to let go of one it would be the Valley Drum Shop custom; the Black Beauty and Dyna-Sonic should cover any musical eventuality I can anticipate running into. They can have my Dyna and BB when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

EDIT (to answer the OP): If I had to get rid of either my Dyna-Sonic or my Black Beauty, even though the Dyna is my main snare I would probably keep the Black Beauty for these reasons:

1) I love the Dyna for its playability and because its sound blends so perfectly with my Legacy Maple kit (same shell construction). However, it does have some sonic limitations, most notably a governor on its maximum power.

2) I've found that it would be possible for me to get my Black Beauty to sound very similar to my Dyna if I put a calfskin head on it and worked with a bit of muffling (although I hate muffling on snare drums — it kills the stick response at softer volumes); I would just have to give up a certain amount of playing sensitivity, especially at lower volumes. However, it wouldn't be possible for me to get my Dyna to sound almost exactly like my Black Beauty. There's no way to increase its power and ability to cut through the clutter. That makes the Black Beauty more versatile.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

Reaction score
From 1972 to 1997 I only had one snare drum. The 6 lug die cast hoop Slingerland wood snare drum white marine pearl finish Mom and Dad gave me for Christmas in 1972. It has a great tuning range. Rim shots will curl your hair. Never saw a need for another.

Then in 1997 I bought my Yamaha Stage Custom kit new. It came with a metal snare. It's my backup snare. Although a few months ago I got new heads for it and and tuned it up. It's a great sounding drum.

Monday317

Reaction score
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

View attachment 593334

Monday317

Reaction score
I own a Pearl Omar Hakim signature that I’d never part with. It’s versatile and being a 13”, gives me a more comfortable fit at the throne. It has a wide tuning range and works for everything I require from it and is about the only snare I need.

moondrum

Reaction score
How many of you out there own only one snare drum? I have two, but would like to sell one of them. I would like to know your choice of the ONE snare that can do it all! This was my pick, 50 years ago, but can't make up my mind about any of them today. There are so many out there these days, compared to the 70s.

View attachment 593334
Having only one snare drum if you’re a working musician isn’t a good idea.If you just play at home in the basement and have friend over to play then one snare is ok but if you’re a working musician you need at least two snare drums.I would say one wood and one metal snare drum. For me that would be a Rogers 1960’s wood Powertone and for metal either a 1960’s COB Supra, my 1966 Acrolite or what I got back in 2020 a 6-1/2 x14 Ludwig Copperphonic. All the musicians I work with ( horn players, guitarists, keyboard players,etc) all have spares.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From my perspective as an Orchestral player, I get to pick the drum that fits the music. The violinist, on the other hand uses the same instrument from Palestrina and Bach to Schoenberg and John Williams. Hence, all the Triangles, Tambourines, Cymbals and Drums lying about the house. He who dies with the most toys Wins!
PS: I love my 20's Ludwig Super and my 60's Rogers powertone......and the Dynas......

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having only one snare drum if you’re a working musician isn’t a good idea.If you just play at home in the basement and have friend over to play then one snare is ok but if you’re a working musician you need at least two snare drums.I would say one wood and one metal snare drum. For me that would be a Rogers 1960’s wood Powertone and for metal either a 1960’s COB Supra, my 1966 Acrolite or what I got back in 2020 a 6-1/2 x14 Ludwig Copperphonic. All the musicians I work with ( horn players, guitarists, keyboard players,etc) all have spares.
This year 34 "working" gigs with just one snare drum ..... and a few years before that ....:)

symes23

Reaction score

View attachment 593334
I guess the answer is a question … “for what?”. I used Premier 2000s and 36s all through the 70s and 80s using one drum for everything - jazz, big band, brass band, orchestra etc. You can still do that of course but there are alternatives that give you small variations on sound and feel. I guess the question to ask yourself is “if I sell this one, what won’t I be able to do?”…

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me ask this again. It really isn't that hard. Yes, I KNOW that working professionals can use many axes. What I want to know, JUST FOR FUN, is if you had pick ONE of them, you feel could play in any style, and use just THAT snare, which ONE would you pick?

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
One snare drum?
Boooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnnng!
I have at least 25, all beautiful, all different. Why limit yourself? It’s like having one string on a guitar, one key on a piano, painting with only one color. These are instruments of beauty to make music with. Enjoy the variety!

makemyown

Reaction score

View attachment 593334

Attachments

• EBA775FF-8F5F-46DE-9D39-274F89F02F48.jpeg
    EBA775FF-8F5F-46DE-9D39-274F89F02F48.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 21
  • EEEE24AF-2D8F-4672-819B-1491BEB068CF.jpeg
    EEEE24AF-2D8F-4672-819B-1491BEB068CF.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 21

Stephen.DeBoard

Reaction score
Tale of Two Ludwigs: Acrolite vs. LM402K Supra. If I had to narrow them down, I'd go with the Supraphonic as it has been with me for a long time and through a lot of long sets, however they split my workload about 50/50. I'd like to get a 14x5 wood snare with a lot of snare bite at some point but honestly the Acrolite can pull off a "wood" sound so convincingly in the studio that it's never been a problem. View attachment 593790 View attachment 593789
I have a similar 2 snares except my 6.5 X 14 is a Ludwig Hammered Bronze I bought from Pro Drum Shop in Los Angeles just a few months after I moved here in 1988. It's the ONE. My Acrolite is an aluminum 1970s model I bought originally to accommodate smaller venues. It's versatility and warm but present tone has surprisingly been the right snare for the occasion over the Hammered Bronze in certain settings.

rwp42

Reaction score
My only snare at the moment is a Sonor BG Signature Beech Snare 2.0. With the two internal muffling options, it is a very versatile snare and I have enjoyed it in jazz, blues, and rock contexts. I do have my eye on two other snares -- I would like to own a nice metal snare as a complement and have been thinking about the ever-popular Ludwig Black Beauty. The BG snare is 13x5.75", so would probably opt for the 14x6.5" BB. Most recently I've been thinking Dunnett Titanium in 14x6.5 though... I've heard it is very dry, so might be the perfect third 'leg' in my snare stool. :)

IMG_1121.jpeg

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
This one at the moment.

1669238916788.jpeg

I have a marching snare for sale too so that one isn't being used.

After 30 years of playing (and at least 2/3 of that buying/selling/racking up drums and co) I don't see the need for a lot of snares, nor need it too.

It's just clutter in my mind.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a decade I only owned and used a Gretsch 4160 COB. Then for two decades I only played a Slingerland 6.5" COB while the Gretsch sat on a shelf. Dozens came and went during this time as I flipped sets to make money for cymbals.

Then I retired and all hell broke loose.
Yup!

I had a Gretsch COB 4160 as my primary snare, my secondary snare was a 60s Slingerland COB from 1991 to 2008.

After my stroke in 2008 I expanded my horizons. I think that I was up to thirty-four snares in about two years. I That seemed ridiculous to me at the time, so I pared it down to a "reasonable" eighteen or nineteen before we moved to Pittsburgh in 2010. I kept my COB Gretsch, COB Slingerland, and Rogers COB Dynasonic, my Black Beauty, my Supraphonic, my 1988 Noble & Cooley SS maple, a couple of Radio Kings, my DW solid shell, Edge, and Super Solid. There were a few more, but those eleven were the ones that I would hang on to for sure.

I started gigging a lot as soon as I landed in the Burgh. Gig money was fun money to spend on gear. Whenever a decent deal on something popped up, I'd snag it and add it to the stash a little at a time. They all got gigged, some more than others.

In 2018 I picked up a part time job during the day. Then things really got silly.

I bought a Gretsch Bell Brass, a Gretsch Stanton Moore Signature, a DW/Craviotto flamed maple, a DW Super Sonic, a Gretsch Solid Shell, a Ludwig Copper Phonic, a Dunnett Titanium, a Gretsch Progressive Jazz, Gretsch USA Custom snares in four different sizes wrapped to match my Gretsch shell bank, another DW/Craviotto, a COB Supraphonic, a late 50s Radio King, an early 50s Radio King, a Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze, a McKenzie solid Cherry, a Noble & Cooley SS walnut, a DW Carbon Fiber Pi, a DW Super Solid Edge maple/walnut/maple, and a Summit solid Walnut. The current count is forty-two. (Or forty-three?)

In your words, "All hell broke loose."

The idea of just one or two snares is hard to wrap my head around.

I only bought two this year, I've been concentrating on getting them all in cases so that they are easier to store. (I only need about ten more cases.)

"Ok, let me ask this again. It really isn't that hard. Yes, I KNOW that working professionals can use many axes. What I want to know, JUST FOR FUN, is if you had pick ONE of them, you feel could play in any style, and use just THAT snare, which ONE would you pick?"

Hmm...

My 2011 Gretsch USA Stanton Moore signature solid Birdseye Maple would likely get the nod. I can do anything with it.

Last edited: