Online Rudiments and Sheet Music Video Lessons?

poetman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been working with a friend's daughter and teaching her drums remotely via email, Skype, etc. I am trying to find some online video sources where she can learn sheet music and rudiments, and I am hoping you all can recommend some resources/videos.

Thanks!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have any video sources outside the normal recommendations you'd find here demonstrating the rudiments (i.e. Drumeo, Vic Firth, PASIC).

However I'll make some book recommendations...

Here's a great one that covers the progression of rudiments following the Spivak/Wilson method (but will require the most interaction):
"The Essential Rudiments of Drumming In the Natural and Logical Order of Succession as taught by Murray Spivak and Richard Wilson"

The next resource is "Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments"
The link is to the book with DVD's, but it can be purchased w/o the DVD's for a little less as well. It starts out with learning the ruffs, then moving on to the rolls, then into the other rudiments. It's mapped out pretty well on how to count/play if you're going to go just with the book. so once you give somebody an explanation, the book will carry them through. Also, I've seen e-copies of this book floating around on the web if $$ is an issue.

Also, I highly recommend looking into the books by Joel Rothman, he's got some very good titles that are extremely well written and can help move a beginner through the milestones and levels, plus they are very affordable. For a suggestion I would look at "Rudiments Around the Drums" (this book will help get the rudiments of the snare and onto the small/large tom of a kit - and it is for less experienced players), "Reading, Rudiments and Rock Drumming," and then also check out "Rolls, Rolls, Rolls"

Here's the list for Rothman's titles on Amazon...

EDIT: I took a couple of pics/screen shots of the Essentials and Modern Interpretation so you can see the writing styles...

Attachments

Last edited:

poetman

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. Hop, thanks for the extensive list, but she might get lost in the books on her own. Frank, if VF has an app that's pretty clear, that might get her started with the rudiments, but I still need to find something to help learn basic drum notation/sheet music (that she can comprehend). Thanks again.

Latest posts