Online teaching. The new norm? I hope not. But...

Reaction score
I have a pretty hefty teaching practice. And have taken this time to temporarily shift my students to online teaching (I'm still a little torn, but it's not as weird as I thought it would be.) So far, it's interesting to teach while watching a student on their iPhone. But it's weird to be teaching while surrounded by electronic gadgets.

IMG_1187.JPG

But dig the whiteboard (At heart I'm an old school cat.)
IMG_1184.jpg

I have found the technique of attaching my phone to a music stand makes my voice louder on the other end. It's also easier to swivel the phone to face either drum set, or me at the drum pad. Also listening to the student on headphones (GK Ultraphones even better yet) makes it much easier.

IMG_1185.jpg

BUT...........
If you have been around DFO for a while, you've seen my playing videos, read my posts, and you know what I'm about.
25 years as a professional musician in NJ-NYC. Educator, author, recording artist, etc....

So I figured (during this weird "Corona time" 2020 that we're living in) that I would offer some FREE online "one on one" (introductory) lessons to DFO members ONLY (of any playing level, and with at least 10 posts) One lesson per drummer. (Present students of mine are excluded, sorry guys, you get enough from me for free.)

Nothing beats in person (to me,) but maybe there is someone out there who might want to do some online lessons. So if we can arrange a time, I'd be happy to help someone out, maybe you have some questions. Maybe I can help. Audition me for free. PM me if interested. Put lesson in the subject (and include a convenient time for you, and a "lesson subject.") When things get back to "normal" (gigs, schedules, travel, etc...) the free offer is expired, sorry!

Everyone stay healthy, and please be safe!
MSG

(Mods, if this is against forum rules or protocol, please remove it, no prob!)

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hell no. Sweden ain't even doing nothing

Which puts them in good standing to win the "We didn't learn anything from Philadelphia doing the same thing in 1918" award. Hopefully they won't be taking home that very expensive "trophy". (Not a good sign that one of their main experts quoted in the article seems to have missed the fact that people can have - and spread - the virus for 14 days before exhibiting any symptoms at all.)

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "Ain't doing nothing" (as one can read in the linked article)
Working as a teacher for 16-19 years old pupils, I teach online, following the close down of physical attendance at higher education.
Most of my friends work from home, in different areas of work, if possible. Supported by their employers.
And most people follow the guidelines - with huge losses in income for service industries like travels, restaurants, retail shops etc.
We'll see how this evolves... hopefully for the better!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
And most people follow the guidelines - with huge losses in income for service industries like travels, restaurants, retail shops etc.
We'll see how this evolves... hopefully for the better!
I don't think it does, and not for partisan reasons. Personally, I can't imagine any quick societal recovery from a crisis demanding introspection, personal accountability, empathy and sacrifice. If you're familiar with the normal curve, the numbers just don't add up.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the truthfullness of this article.
google sweden- multiple news stories

Last edited:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I have a pretty hefty teaching practice. And have taken this time to temporarily shift my students to online teaching (I'm still a little torn, but it's not as weird as I thought it would be.) So far, it's interesting to teach while watching a student on their iPhone. But it's weird to be teaching while surrounded by electronic gadgets.

View attachment 432786

But dig the whiteboard (At heart I'm an old school cat.)
View attachment 432784

I have found the technique of attaching my phone to a music stand makes my voice louder on the other end. It's also easier to swivel the phone to face either drum set, or me at the drum pad. Also listening to the student on headphones (GK Ultraphones even better yet) makes it much easier.

View attachment 432785

BUT...........
If you have been around DFO for a while, you've seen my playing videos, read my posts, and you know what I'm about.
25 years as a professional musician in NJ-NYC. Educator, author, recording artist, etc....

So I figured (during this weird "Corona time" 2020 that we're living in) that I would offer some FREE online "one on one" (introductory) lessons to DFO members ONLY (of any playing level, and with at least 10 posts) One lesson per drummer. (Present students of mine are excluded, sorry guys, you get enough from me for free.)

Nothing beats in person (to me,) but maybe there is someone out there who might want to do some online lessons. So if we can arrange a time, I'd be happy to help someone out, maybe you have some questions. Maybe I can help. Audition me for free. PM me if interested. Put lesson in the subject (and include a convenient time for you, and a "lesson subject.") When things get back to "normal" (gigs, schedules, travel, etc...) the free offer is expired, sorry!

Everyone stay healthy, and please be safe!
MSG

(Mods, if this is against forum rules or protocol, please remove it, no prob!)
I won’t partake, but very nice of you to offer your education/teachings/help so thank you! Seems your post of kindness in this ‘time’ has taken off into another topic which is unfortunate. And now, how about our regularly scheduled program. : )

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It was only because of Mark's title " the new norm"
and he's a friend of mine
and I didn't/ don't/ want him to freak out "too much"..

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Sure thing and understood. Usually I don’t get involved in this ‘type’ of my post.(except for the thank you!) Same for everyone. I guess I’m just trying to keep all positive(such as yourself) and not delve into the sad obvious at this time. Hope all is healthy and well for you and all.

Reactions: JDA
Reaction score
JDA,

I'm not freaking out at all. I'm working (teaching,) wife's working (she's a nurse at a hospital,) so she's doing her best to stay safe-heathy (so we are freaking out a little bit about that.) And our bills are paid.

I freaked out MUCH (!!!!!!) more when my wife was nearly killed crossing in a crosswalk by idiot driver looking at her cell phone almost 3 years ago. We basically just wrapped that whole fiasco up a few months back, (although she was still doing PT.)

Talk about freaking out. I walk in the door from an afternoon gig, and the phone rings. "Mr. MSG you have to get to the trauma center as soon as possible. I arrive in 10 mins and start making HUGE life impacting decisions on the spot! The sweat was still on my brow from the gig. I didn't sleep for 3 days, and basically lived at the hospital next to my wife for about 6 months. (Didn't miss a gig or a student though.) You never know what's around the next corner. Enjoy every sandwich. Keep rolling over life's speed bumps I guess. You gotta be prepared.

But all is well here! All I am saying is...

Since I'm now (reluctantly) set up for this "on line teaching" thing, I could put a free drum smile on someone's face, and maybe offer someone some "drum stuff" to get through this weird time when (let's face it) practice time is abundant. And I (like everyone else) ain't going NOWHERE outside my house or studio for a while.

Nothing to do with Sweden.
And no freaking out.

MSG

Reactions: JDA

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Teaching I can see some minuses, but it's better than the alternatives right now. However, what I'd really like to see out of this is a virtual reunion of some my favorite retired bands. I've been shocked at names that had 'made it' and find out they're moonlighting at full fledged careers. Real Estate. Accounting. Programming. One of my faves did a reunion tour a few years ago, but a tour of any sort pretty much requires you to quit your day job.

We've finally got this 'record companies are still around, but they're pretty much ignoring anything but their favorites' meets 'the stuff is cheap enough and common enough that any dummy can do it in their bedroom', so why not record a new non-touring album and sell direct to your fans.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA,

I'm not freaking out at all. I'm working (teaching,) wife's working (she's a nurse at a hospital,) so she's doing her best to stay safe-heathy (so we are freaking out a little bit about that.) And our bills are paid.

I freaked out MUCH (!!!!!!) more when my wife was nearly killed crossing in a crosswalk by idiot driver looking at her cell phone almost 3 years ago. We basically just wrapped that whole fiasco up a few months back, (although she was still doing PT.)

Talk about freaking out. I walk in the door from an afternoon gig, and the phone rings. "Mr. MSG you have to get to the trauma center as soon as possible. I arrive in 10 mins and start making HUGE life impacting decisions on the spot! The sweat was still on my brow from the gig. I didn't sleep for 3 days, and basically lived at the hospital next to my wife for about 6 months. (Didn't miss a gig or a student though.) You never know what's around the next corner. Enjoy every sandwich. Keep rolling over life's speed bumps I guess. You gotta be prepared.

But all is well here! All I am saying is...

Since I'm now (reluctantly) set up for this "on line teaching" thing, I could put a free drum smile on someone's face, and maybe offer someone some "drum stuff" to get through this weird time when (let's face it) practice time is abundant. And I (like everyone else) ain't going NOWHERE outside my house or studio for a while.

Nothing to do with Sweden.
And no freaking out.

MSG
I find your idea of online tutoring interesting and I wish you the best of luck!
Keep up your good work!