header.nohb.html

Online whiteboard for bands

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Our band needs an online interactive whiteboard to brainstorm, plan, write and post or link to notated music and chord charts etc.. Most importantly we need to record band decisions (both musical and admin/housekeeping).

None of us have any experience in this area.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable for musicians?

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try a project management tool. Here's a list. Trello is pretty good.

https://www.fool.com/the-blueprint/free-project-management-software/

Using Google tools is also pretty easy to do. You can share files with Google or Box or Dropbox.

The leader of the last group I was in used Facebook chats, that was less than ideal. One before, we used group texts...not very ideal, kinda limited in what you can do. Good for day-of-show business or avails checking or general news, but not good at all for collaboration.

Good luck!

Should add, Microsoft Teams. I use this at work and it is really functional. Could probably do jam sessions live. Might require a sub though.

midnightsupperclub

Reaction score
Google itself has got lots of functions that would help in this area. I have been using some of these for conducting online workshops as part of my work. And they are all free to use!

First one would be Jamboard. If you have a google account, you can find this when you click the icon of a grid of 9 little squares on the top right of the google webpage and scroll down thru the different tools. The Jamboard icon should be 3 rows up from the bottom, if I'm not wrong.

Jamboard is exactly like a whiteboard. Everyone can write/draw freehand on it, type on it, add images, put up sticky notes etc. And this can all be done simultaneously for all participants. Great for some free form idea generation. After that is done, you can save the whole thing in PDF format. You can also create as many whiteboards as you want, perhaps one board for each song you're working on, and everyone can access all boards at all times.

A second tool would be Google docs. They work exactly like your standard Microsoft Office stuff like Word and Excel. Again, everyone in your band can access it and make additions or changes simultaneously.

If you're mainly typing in notes, maybe for something like putting down song structures, reminders for different band members etc, you can use the Docs or Sheets function to type in all that stuff.

Finally, you can use the Google Drive function as an online hard drive to upload all your files, songs etc and the rest of the band can access and download these files.

Hope this helps! Just PM me if you have any other questions! :)

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try a project management tool. Here's a list. Trello is pretty good.

https://www.fool.com/the-blueprint/free-project-management-software/

Using Google tools is also pretty easy to do. You can share files with Google or Box or Dropbox.

The leader of the last group I was in used Facebook chats, that was less than ideal. One before, we used group texts...not very ideal, kinda limited in what you can do. Good for day-of-show business or avails checking or general news, but not good at all for collaboration.

Good luck!

Should add, Microsoft Teams. I use this at work and it is really functional. Could probably do jam sessions live. Might require a sub though.
+1 on Trello, especially for bands.