Only 1 drum set !!!

musicman64

Reaction score
QUESTION>>>If you had to " thin your personal drum herd" down to only 1 set...what would you keep and why????? Possible keyword answers....portability...versatility....sound...appearance...personal historical meaning...brand name historical meaning....durability...price/value.....etc etc...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about : "solid as a f____ing rock"

I own one I got mine.
wasn't hard
Could survive a fall off the empire state.building.
long as it was on a rope.
and a nice platform. It's design originated in NY coincidence.
Maybe off the Fred Gretsch building.
I mean snare and all. Al usa Gretsch. Remo heads.
Why? because thats what (enough of) the music has used.
Enough for me that I never look out the side of my eye at anything. they're me.
need tensioned every 15 years. if that. scratch that. never.
As solid and stable as the Statue of Liberty

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I predict this will turn into one of those "these are my drums thread", LOL!!
To answer the questions: I only have 1 kit and it's what I would keep. Sounds great & looks great (to me), not very portable LOL!, I think it's durable, it's a good kit & I have good hardware & good cymbals. Brand: Ludwig! I do have a historical connection to the brand. I like the history behind the brand and they have a "certain" sound (might be psychological!). Doesn't mean I would not trade them for something else in the future though:
IMG_20190831_002954.jpg

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I only have 1 kit, but it's the 1 kit I would keep regardless of what other drums I had. It's a 1980 Pearl G-Series Maple shell Big Beat kit in Walnut lacquer, and a 14×6.5" Pearl COB Jupiter snare. They're cross laminated 8 ply Rock Maple shells that are 6mm thick, with no re-rings, and 45 degree bearing edges that are beautifully rounded over. Sizes are listed in the catalog pic below.

It's the first kit I've had where I feel I've truly fallen in love. It just suits me perfectly! It's the best sounding kit I've ever played, the sizes are killer for me, and it's absolutely gorgeous! I've always wanted a glossy dark wood finish with clear Maple interiors exactly like this. I feel it's extremely versatile as well. They tune up, they tune down, and everywhere in between! They're very well made, and obviously very high quality drums with an original list price of $2,123 in 1980. Another little thing is that it's probably my favorite brand name. I'm a fan of all different brands of drums, and I think they all make/made some fantastic instruments, but I've always had a bit of thing for Pearl. It is one of the prettier sounding brand names too lol. I wouldn't trade this kit for anything though. It's a forever kit for me.

Screenshot_2018-04-13-18-39-34-1.pngIMG_20190331_172556.jpgIMG_20180510_205833.jpgreceived_219357295500173.jpegIMG_20190412_115344.jpgIMG_20190331_124833.jpgIMG_20190608_184434.jpgIMG_20180608_023305.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
QUESTION>>>If you had to " thin your personal drum herd" down to only 1 set...what would you keep and why????? Possible keyword answers....portability...versatility....sound...appearance...personal historical meaning...brand name historical meaning....durability...price/value.....etc etc...
I'd sell'em all and do DIY kit.
18x14/12x8/14x14/14x6.5 (one metal, one wood).
Keller Vintage shells. Mahogany bass, Maple toms.
Reinforced Keller 6 ply traditional Maple shell for snare drum.
Big, fat round over edges, except snare side, which would likely be a single 45, no outer cut.
Wide, shallow snare bed so I could fit it with 42 strand snares.
Wood BD hoops, wrap finish (probably the black & silver sparkle from Jammin Sam).
Fiberskyn/Skyntone on the bass drum, coated medium weights on the rest of the drums.
Why? Because I can hear them in my head and man, do they sound good.

Elvis

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Noble & Cooley CD Maples. It was my dream kit since the mid 80s. I bought a solid shell maple snare in 1990, and in 2012 I was finally able to buy an N&C set. Best finish and sound of any drums I’ve ever owned, in sizes and can easily transport, and I can tune them to fit any genre of music that I need for my gigs.
AA96C50E-6506-4CD5-BB5C-CF0898897EC1.jpeg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
When I bought the Ludwig's, I was seriously considering the CD Maples, too.
Both drumsets sounded similar and better than anything else on the market in the late 90's.
Eventually went with the Ludwigs due to a better dealer network (which dried up pretty quickly after I got the kit) and the Ludwigs were less expensive.
CD Maple with an SS snare drum is a pretty all-right outfit.
Good choice, Mr.Drums

Elvis

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have only really had one drum set at a time with a choice of snare drums and cymbals. In the last 20 years have had 6 but very happy with the most recent one which was custom built for me here. It's a bop kit suited to the stuff I play .. 12 x 8 rack tom, 14 x 14 floor tom, 18 x 14 bass drum and a Brad
67738191_401249610827512_5021361237733146624_n.jpg
y 12 x 7 block snare.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn’t do it. Three is a minimum for me. 1 at my practice space, 1 at home to play and 1 packed and ready for gigging.

It takes to long to get these bad boys set up just right to be breaking them down and moving them constantly.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have only one kit -- a '65 Ludwig Super Classic in Oyster Black Pearl. I was gifted this kit exactly one year ago today. For me, this is the holy grail of drum kits. It satisfies me in terms of sound and aesthetics. I smile every time I play or walk past them. I will own these drums for the rest of my life, and then they will be passed onto my son who also plays. Since receiving the Ludwigs, I have not had the urge to consider another kit to complement them.

Ludwigs.JPG

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can never answer this particular question....too much to think about and too much time to think about it.

So I look at it this way: Your house is on fire. You can only save one kit before the house comes down. Which kit do you grab?

THAT question makes it a lot easier, at least for me...

Answer:

60s Rogers Holiday in Red Onyx. 14x20/24, 9x13, 8x12, 16x16, 5x14 Powertone COB. In my other hand I would grab my Ks. lol

Why? Partially because of sentiment (my first kit), partially because they would be harder to replace than my Tamas, and partially because they have the "mojo" my other kits don't.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If I absolutely had to I would keep my first Tempus kit. 10x8, 12x8, 16x16, 16x22 - one reason would be I could set up a 4 or 5 piece kit, another is it sounds phenomenal.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I have only one kit -- a '65 Ludwig Super Classic in Oyster Black Pearl. I was gifted this kit exactly one year ago today. For me, this is the holy grail of drum kits. It satisfies me in terms of sound and aesthetics. I smile every time I play or walk past them. I will own these drums for the rest of my life, and then they will be passed onto my son who also plays. Since receiving the Ludwigs, I have not had the urge to consider another kit to complement them.

View attachment 408602
Enjoy them oysters! Those look great,Doug! My '66 Ludwig Super Classic set 22/13/16 !
I find these are good in most types of music.

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I couldn’t do it. Three is a minimum for me. 1 at my practice space, 1 at home to play and 1 packed and ready for gigging.

It takes to long to get these bad boys set up just right to be breaking them down and moving them constantly.
C'mon Nacci, OP says 1. You have to pick 1!! I know it hurts but you can do it!