Only 1 drum set !!!

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
QUESTION>>>If you had to " thin your personal drum herd" down to only 1 set...what would you keep and why????? Possible keyword answers....portability...versatility....sound...appearance...personal historical meaning...brand name historical meaning....durability...price/value.....etc etc...
All of us afflicted with GAS have some form of this, attributing many various qualities to a drum set. Which is what makes multiple sets make sense to us, where others would think they're just drums, why do you need more? But those of us with GAS say, well this one is size abc, with shells made of def, and the era is ghi, and the brand is jkl, and so forth.

That being said, if I had to pick a favorite I think my Premier Oyster kit hits all of the above qualities for me.

Premier Oyster at Coachman.jpg
Premier Oyster setup2.jpg
Premier oyster closeup blue.JPG

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Rogers WMP 12/14/16/20 with a matching snare.

In a dream that snare would be a 60s wood Dyna, but I think they’re even rarer than unicorns. This Luxor gets the job done, no complaints.

FB0A500D-CF97-481A-BAB0-153A45BF3D40.jpeg

Drm1979

Reaction score
QUESTION>>>If you had to " thin your personal drum herd" down to only 1 set...what would you keep and why????? Possible keyword answers....portability...versatility....sound...appearance...personal historical meaning...brand name historical meaning....durability...price/value.....etc etc...
I only have one kit. It is a pulse percussion 4 piece in wine red. My parents bought it for me for Christmas back in 2000 when my band was in full swing. It was a huge upgrade from the 1st kit I owned which cost $50 used. It was a no name 5 piece with no bottom heads on the toms. Once I swapped out the heads on the pulse for aquarian and put an Evan's hd dry on the snare it had a beautiful warm tone. Once I got married and had kids my playing slowed down and just didn't have the funds or space for more than one kit. I have since put Evan's g2 coated on the toms and switched the stock snare for a pearl steel piccolo as a primary. I wont ever give these up as it was the one time I got affirmation from my folks that playing music wasn't a complete waste of time. Of course having children changed that and now I am mainly a hobbyist player, but I still love it.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always had one and this is my final
one (not everything is on the picture though) For more than one reason.

CE47C052-DEEC-4555-AAF6-D91250267459.jpeg

I did wished I could multiply this kit with hardware and cymbals in two or three so I can l leave one rig cased for gigs like Nacci. The 10k+ price and some rare items make that impossible though.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One Drive m Set ? Blasphemy! Lol. Seriously, if I had to get down to just one kit, I think I would sell off " the herd" and add pieces to my Yamaha RC kit ( reissue) its currently 8/10/12/14/20 in Classic Walnut, I would add 13/16/24 to that and a matching snare that would satisfy my need to " tinker" with setups etc and in my opinion cover any situation for gigging etc. Thank God you didn't mention snares or cymbals !

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I couldn’t do it. Three is a minimum for me. 1 at my practice space, 1 at home to play and 1 packed and ready for gigging.

It takes to long to get these bad boys set up just right to be breaking them down and moving them constantly.
Two is my minimum.
My JM’s are my gigging kit (actually any of my current kits would qualify) and then my Rogers Holiday would be my rehearsal kit.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Which proves the old adage, its not about the amount of money you spend, its about what you can do with what you have.
Nice post Drm1979. :thumbright:
Thank you. That kit was also recorded on my bands 2nd and final CD before we split up. And even though it's not a high end expensive kit you can definitely tell a difference in the sound quality from the 1st kit to the second.

Drm1979

Reaction score
My Rogers Big R 20/12/12/16 with COB Dynasonic and Powertone snares has it all:

- Sounds good
- Looks good
- User friendly
- Durable
- Can be either 4 - piece or 5 - piece

View attachment 418472
That's a beautiful kit. I played on a 70s Roger's kit once back when I was in high school. Loved the warm tone that they have.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well,youve read my mind,simple as it is.
Ive been wanting to downsize more eventhough I really dig all my kits.
So,my Yamaha Stage Custom kit,its 10,12,14,16,20 in nat.gloss,it does what i need to do,intermediate kit with pro features,100% birch,great sounding kit!
But,theres this one and that one...!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be hard to leave the 1984 cherry wine Superstars I bought new behind....but I think my '66 Slingerland bop kit will be around longer....for one it's much simpler to play and move around.

best 6.jpg

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I would be paralyzed by sentimentality.

I have a Champagne Downbeat (found a 16” and JazzFest made same week as the rest of the kit) I was given by my best friend’s family after his death, and goes to his kid sister when I croak.

I have a B&B Blue Glass Rogers 12/16/20 (added a 14” floor and 8-lug Holiday wood snare, both also made within days of main kit) that I fixed up while I was numb and desperately needed something to do while working through the loss of my father, a man who gifted me a love of fixing and tinkering.

And I have the one that feels like “my” kit, a Black Cortex set of 13/14/16/18/24/26 orphans cobbled together, but all 70’s clear maple interior (except for granitone 24”), each altered enough that it’s really not worth much - Rogers mount on 26”, ovaled-but-thankfully-hidden holes on several toms from Pearl lugs I replaced with correct Luddies, cracks in wrap from god knows what, etc.

If it truly came down to it, I suppose the Downbeat would be the only one that can’t be replaced with money. Most anything else can.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I’m only having one kit then it has to be a Sonor Phonic, 5pc in traditional sizes (14x22, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, with a 5 or 5-1/2” deep snare). That kit can handle any requirement. I currently have a well scarred white one. Someday I will have it in red.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch 12/14/18 square badge from the early 80's in black glass glitter. I have a 13/16/22 RB/SSB cobbled kit that someone strippped and I was going to refinish and make a Charlie Watts tribute kit (I know - he has a 12" - I have the 12, too!).

If I HAD to have just one kit (just plain silly!), I'd strip the 12/14/18, refinish all in the same color and then have a 12/13 up, 14/16 down, 22 and 18 basses......

Practically speaking, I'd need a 2nd kit to keep set up at home for practice.....just sayin'......

Latest posts