Only 1 drum set !!!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Boom Theory 12-16-22, with a Steve Jordan sig. Snare, black label 18, and 22, and old Zildjian hats, that I can live with if only 1

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thank you. That kit was also recorded on my bands 2nd and final CD before we split up. And even though it's not a high end expensive kit you can definitely tell a difference in the sound quality from the 1st kit to the second.
Sounds familiar.
About 20-30 years ago I had a red sparkle Stewart 3 piece (20/12/14x4) and added a 16" Ludwig floor tom to it.
Loved that kit. Ended up having to get an extra snare stand for the rack tom, but that just made the kit more appealing to me, since now EVERYTHING was individually adjustable.
The engineer at the studio that band recorded at wanted to buy that kit from me because he says it recorded so well.
...and now I have 5 kits... :blink:

Drm1979

Reaction score
Sounds familiar.
About 20-30 years ago I had a red sparkle Stewart 3 piece (20/12/14x4) and added a 16" Ludwig floor tom to it.
Loved that kit. Ended up having to get an extra snare stand for the rack tom, but that just made the kit more appealing to me, since now EVERYTHING was individually adjustable.
The engineer at the studio that band recorded at wanted to buy that kit from me because he says it recorded so well.
...and now I have 5 kits... :blink:
Wow. I've never had more than one kit at a time. And as much as I'd love to trade up to a higher end kit, with a family and a unfortunately "real" job I just dont get enough time to play to justify that expense. Plus right now I have access to my guitarist's drum kit which is a 6 piece mapex Mars kit which is pretty sweet. He owns a tatoo shop and has the entire back of his shop turned into a makeshift studio where he keeps the kit set up along with his guitar and bass rigs. So I play on his kit as a matter of convenience so that I dont have to drag mine back and forth to play everytime we get together. Our eventual plan is to write and record some original songs and use distrokid to upload them to itunes and spotify just to see what happens. He plays guitar and bass and sings and of course I'm playing drums. We try and get together twice a month but like me he has a crazy schedule as well so for now it works for us as we're not on anybody's schedule but ours. We're using an iPad to record our demos for now. Once we have enough material he'll pull out the mics, laptop and interface to do real recording. We have half a song written right now and it still needs some polishing. We'll eventually get there.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Ludwig Classic Maples 12/14/20. Many reasons, and I'll use the outline the OP so smartly provided.

Portability: That 20X14 BD is easy and perfect; these drums aren't overly heavy either.

Versatility: I play rock, roots, country, soul, and more, and these drums fit in well with, I think, just about any genre. Because the sizes are so, well, classic, and the shell construction is so, well, modern classic, I think I can play them for some time to come without looking or sounding like I purposely bought into a trend. (Atthough one could argue that the Ludwig vibe is only trading on past glory and therefore a trend stemming from an earlier trend; I would disagree and simply say these drums are an evolution, say, like a Mustang GT.)

Sound: They are just "The Sound" for me--maple goodness, with some delicious round umami flavor. I can tune them in many ways and they can sing, bark, howl, hum, or moan like Mavis Staples. I can make them sound modern with some cut or vintage with some warmth.

Appearance: I opted for a pearl wrap which I think is a very classic look and fits well with a number of projects visually. They have an old school vibe for more mature music, and for my projects with younger musicians have a "retro" vibe which is seen as "cool". Wrap them with a strand of white Xmas tree lights and they pop and glow. A lot of non drummers, and even a few drummers, have assumed they are a vintage kit. I think the Ludwig look is a sweet spot that unites generations.

Personal Historical Meaning: My first kit was a Ludwig in the Downbeat configuration and, after a long romance with an overseas Teutonic vixen named Sonor, I've come home to the beautiful and kind girl next door who understands my roots.

Brand Name Historical Meaning: At a loss here. Kind of a recent trendy upstart boutique brand, I'll confess. No drummer of note has ever played them, and no one really has heard of them. Tell a room of drummers you play "Ludwig" and you just get blank stares. Bandmates will mistakenly refer to them as "Mozarts".

Durability: I think the wrap is on there to stay, and I hear the new pearls are not subject to fading, and I've yet to scratch anything after a lot of gigging and other drummers playing them on backline. The construction is robust. I really like the new tom mount lug. The Atlas hardware is aptly named.

Price/Value: I'm not the first to mention this here, I know, but the Classic Maple line continue to be an amazing deal.

The harder choice for me would be if I had to choose only one snare to go with this set, and it would, too, be a Ludwig...the usual suspects: Supra or BB? Perhaps not the most novel of line ups but there's a lot of guitarists who do just fine with Teles and Strats.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
This would be incredibly tough for me. I always said my Yamaha RC's are the "Keeper set" But my Pearl Masters MMP "Redline" is there as well due to it's incredible rarity. (Only 5 came into the UK) I would hate to be torn between the two.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
After 35 years I was down to ONE drum kit!
Lasted a whopping 3 weeks, so I didn't brag about it.
I've settled for the fact that I own 3 kits...
(1)=Ludwig Mod Orange (vintage) 12-13-16-22.
(2)=Ludwig Re-Wrapped 1960's Oyster Blue Pearl 12-14-20.
These 2 kits satisfy my Ludwig obsession, cool finishes, and I cover both sizes.
(3)=Yamaha 1987 Recording Custom cherry red lacquer 12-13-16-22.
This kit satisfies my Yamaha obsession, and gives me a "modern" kit to play.

I reserve the right to sell off or trade the Yamaha kit towards a "cheap" used Craviotto kit!

Stretch

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Ludwig Classic Maples 12/14/20. Many reasons, and I'll use the outline the OP so smartly provided.

Portability: That 20X14 BD is easy and perfect; these drums aren't overly heavy either.

Versatility: I play rock, roots, country, soul, and more, and these drums fit in well with, I think, just about any genre. Because the sizes are so, well, classic, and the shell construction is so, well, modern classic, I think I can play them for some time to come without looking or sounding like I purposely bought into a trend. (Atthough one could argue that the Ludwig vibe is only trading on past glory and therefore a trend stemming from an earlier trend; I would disagree and simply say these drums are an evolution, say, like a Mustang GT.)

Sound: They are just "The Sound" for me--maple goodness, with some delicious round umami flavor. I can tune them in many ways and they can sing, bark, howl, hum, or moan like Mavis Staples. I can make them sound modern with some cut or vintage with some warmth.

Appearance: I opted for a pearl wrap which I think is a very classic look and fits well with a number of projects visually. They have an old school vibe for more mature music, and for my projects with younger musicians have a "retro" vibe which is seen as "cool". Wrap them with a strand of white Xmas tree lights and they pop and glow. A lot of non drummers, and even a few drummers, have assumed they are a vintage kit. I think the Ludwig look is a sweet spot that unites generations.

Personal Historical Meaning: My first kit was a Ludwig in the Downbeat configuration and, after a long romance with an overseas Teutonic vixen named Sonor, I've come home to the beautiful and kind girl next door who understands my roots.

Brand Name Historical Meaning: At a loss here. Kind of a recent trendy upstart boutique brand, I'll confess. No drummer of note has ever played them, and no one really has heard of them. Tell a room of drummers you play "Ludwig" and you just get blank stares. Bandmates will mistakenly refer to them as "Mozarts".

Durability: I think the wrap is on there to stay, and I hear the new pearls are not subject to fading, and I've yet to scratch anything after a lot of gigging and other drummers playing them on backline. The construction is robust. I really like the new tom mount lug. The Atlas hardware is aptly named.

Price/Value: I'm not the first to mention this here, I know, but the Classic Maple line continue to be an amazing deal.

The harder choice for me would be if I had to choose only one snare to go with this set, and it would, too, be a Ludwig...the usual suspects: Supra or BB? Perhaps not the most novel of line ups but there's a lot of guitarists who do just fine with Teles and Strats.
Like I've been saying for over 20 years now, Classic Maple's are not your father's Ludwigs!
Clear, dark and resonant with a "colourful" tone.
What I now called The "Golden" tone of Maple.
Great drums whose sound improves with time.
Good choice CC. -b
As for snare drums, it pretty hard to beat a 5" Acro (LM404C) and a 5" wood drum (LS401). Essentially the same drum (8 lugs, trip flanges, same throw-off and snare) with different shells.
You get the flavour of wood AND alloy!

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Wow. I've never had more than one kit at a time. And as much as I'd love to trade up to a higher end kit, with a family and a unfortunately "real" job I just dont get enough time to play to justify that expense. Plus right now I have access to my guitarist's drum kit which is a 6 piece mapex Mars kit which is pretty sweet. He owns a tatoo shop and has the entire back of his shop turned into a makeshift studio where he keeps the kit set up along with his guitar and bass rigs. So I play on his kit as a matter of convenience so that I dont have to drag mine back and forth to play everytime we get together. Our eventual plan is to write and record some original songs and use distrokid to upload them to itunes and spotify just to see what happens. He plays guitar and bass and sings and of course I'm playing drums. We try and get together twice a month but like me he has a crazy schedule as well so for now it works for us as we're not on anybody's schedule but ours. We're using an iPad to record our demos for now. Once we have enough material he'll pull out the mics, laptop and interface to do real recording. We have half a song written right now and it still needs some polishing. We'll eventually get there.
Wow, how times have changed.
In my day, we either roughed a "sampler" on a boom box (sometimes recorded at a gig) or hired a studio and made an EP, then opened up the phone book and called the A&R's if we wanted to shop for a label.
...the rest of it rings familiar bells, though.
Good luck with your music. Sounds like you guys have a very healthy attitude towards making it happen. =)

Elvis

Drm1979

Reaction score
Wow, how times have changed.
In my day, we either roughed a "sampler" on a boom box (sometimes recorded at a gig) or hired a studio and made an EP, then opened up the phone book and called the A&R's if we wanted to shop for a label.
...the rest of it rings familiar bells, though.
Good luck with your music. Sounds like you guys have a very healthy attitude towards making it happen. =)

Elvis
Thank you.

Latest posts