Open handed playing

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
unnecessary

audience response more important than circus tricks, but opening up your vocabulary can't hurt

its really more for a veteran player than a beginner, once a solid foundation is achieved, IMO... i spent too much of my early days being "versatile" but really had no real concept of "groove"

YMMV

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I think it's probably ergonomically the best thing to learn for a drumset player. It's a shame I've only begun to practice it in middle age, and it feels good when that awkward secondary hand starts to develop. I've always admired the folks that do it- Blackwell (Chris and John), Sabal-Lecco, White, Phillips, Cobham, Husband, that smiling bearded left-handed guy on YT....um...who else?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I keep intending to work on it. Someday...maybe...

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Little by little I’m getting there , I also am doing the Lefty double pedal remote hi hat thing on one kit .

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I was told that that to improve my left hand, play open as you are hitting the hats more often. Well I now find I like it more then standard but still go standard for really fast playing or to swing.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love working on it. It has opened up my playing quite a bit because I am able to maintain a hi hat groove while incorporating toms and other interesting elements without turning into a pretzel. Either hand can trade off holding down the backbeat depending on what's going on. For me, it is not at all about showmanship but keeping full sounding drumming and not thinning out a groove just to hit an accent. Why not keep some of that hi hat groove going throughout those drum fills? I promise you people will notice, and not because it's a "circus trick".

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can't say I'm the best at it but it's a great tool to have in the box! It promotes limb independence. At some point when I have somewhere I can actually practice I'll see about getting better with it.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I took it up tis year and really like working on it. I'll echo a few of the others and say I wish I started out in this style too for both practicality and ergo reasons.