opening band and changing cymbals, no sleeves or washers on stand :(

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I was playing in the opening band this past weekend, and we were sharing a kit, minus cymbals, snare, bass drum pedal, and throne.
The main band drummer had those rubber sleeves that are attached to the cymbal itself, like a grommet.
So, he takes off the cymbal, and the stand is bare metal, no felt, no sleeve, no washer.
I said no way I'm putting my expensive cymbals on top of bare metal.
He kind of gave me an attitude, like it's my problem.
I looked in my hardware bag, and I had a few felts, and only one sleeve.
After a bit he finally said I can use his cymbals, and I did.

How common are these cymbal grommets? I do have some, but not on my gigging cymbals.
Was it wrong for me to not be prepared for bare metal cymbal stands?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah he was kind of a d*ck about it.
Maybe he didn't want an opening band.
Also, he had a 24" bass drum with mounted power toms.
Not convenient for anyone under 6 ft tall.

Next week "we" have an opening band.
I am intentionally bringing my more flexible kit, in case the opener wants to adjust the drums.
I'd prefer to use a rack, but want to be accommodating to the opener.
All I'll ask is that he not move my memory locks, if possible.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I carry my own, just to be sure.

Anyone using Grombals won't have felts, washers, sleeve protectors, etc., on the cymbal stands. So it's prudent for the rest of us to have our own in the stick back should the need arise.

What gets me is when drummers who play on house kits steal the felts, etc. Good grief? What kind of person steals cymbal felts? I've experienced this with multiple house kits.

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That guy sounds like a tool. If you're going to provide stands they need to be functional in the typical fashion. That's no different than if he allowed you to reposition his drums, but only if you brought your own Ludwig hex wrench, which he didn't tell you you would need.

Probably best for you to keep little things like that on hand, though.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Those things on his cymbals are called grombals (spelling?), and I have them on all my cymbals for just this reason. Played plenty of gigs and rehearsal spaces where there are no sleeves, felts, washers, etc. The grombals protect my cymbals, and avoid me scrambling to prep the stands for use. They also avoid having to carry around so many spare parts.

Sorry the guy was obnoxious, but those grombals are a good idea and have saved my cymbals on more than one occasion. They're an easy solution that remains attached to your cymbals, so you'll never forget to bring them along.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree with just about every post in the thread. Sorry, but the opening band are just about the lowest form of human life. That's just the reality of it. I've been an opening act.
Any help you get, or even any smile you get from the headline act is a bonus.
I also hate 'sharing kits'.
Really, you should probably carry spare stuff of your own.
And you're complaining about his drum sizes?
Don't share kits, or carry your own drums anyway, just in case.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can thank all the anal slow drummers before us for this quandary …..
I can set up to play in 5 minutes on a festival stage easy if allowed …

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It certainly isn’t expected of any other band members..

Could you imagine telling a guitarist all he needs are his picks and pedal board ?
I play in a band that flies to every show. The guitarists get to play their own guitars. I get to take my snare and cymbals. the keyboard players play on rental gear every show, and not always their preferred keys. We rent guitar cabs and the guys carry 'virtual amps'.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree with just about every post in the thread. Sorry, but the opening band are just about the lowest form of human life. That's just the reality of it. I've been an opening act.
I’ve been told on almost every festival that all drummers must play the provided back line kit .

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're providing backline, it's your responsibility to provide a kit that's usable by other players (or alert them to the atypical bits).

No snare stands that only fit 10" drums, no electric kits, no left-handed kits that can't be rearranged, no cymbal stands without all the parts needed to be a cymbal stand.

If you can't (or won't) do that, then someone else should bring the backline, and you'll have to play their kit instead.

Having said that, I agree with the above posters that you should be prepared for anything -- I personally bring 2 full sets of sleeves / washers / wingnuts and a clutch with me whenever I'm playing a shared kit, just in case.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those things on his cymbals are called grombals (spelling?), and I have them on all my cymbals for just this reason. Played plenty of gigs and rehearsal spaces where there are no sleeves, felts, washers, etc. The grombals protect my cymbals, and avoid me scrambling to prep the stands for use. They also avoid having to carry around so many spare parts.

Sorry the guy was obnoxious, but those grombals are a good idea and have saved my cymbals on more than one occasion. They're an easy solution that remains attached to your cymbals, so you'll never forget to bring them along.
That's really cool! I've never seen these before.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the sounds of it, this was an all-local show, where the difference between the "headliner" and the "opener" is an any-given-night kind of semantics. I've never seen an actual "headliner" (read: national touring act) band allow the opener to use any gear.

Reaction score
That's really cool! I've never seen these before.
Yeah, they're so simple, but very effective at both protecting your cymbals and facilitating quicker changes between drummers on the same kit. I have no dog in this fight, but have loved grombals since I found them at my local drum shop. You can even get different colours!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're so simple, but very effective at both protecting your cymbals and facilitating quicker changes between drummers on the same kit. I have no dog in this fight, but have loved grombals since I found them at my local drum shop. You can even get different colours!
I was just looking at getting some new felts and sleeves, because who knows where these things go, and this looks like a better, faster option that you can't lose!

Reaction score
I was just looking at getting some new felts and sleeves, because who knows where these things go, and this looks like a better, faster option that you can't lose!
The only real downside is if you have a hard cymbal case where the cymbals mount on a spindle, the grombals may not fit. That aside, I can't recommend them highly enough.