header.nohb.html

Opinion on refinishing Yahama Stage Custom

remhed

Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy to finally have re-found this forum!

I have an older Yamaha Stage Custom set that I am contemplating refinishing in blue/silver duco. This kit has the lugs that span the entire depth of the drums which I do not really care for. So what I am contemplating doing is filling all the lug screw holes, have it painted, then put new lugs on it.

To do this I am thinking i'd get some wood rod to use to fill the holes, sand them flat inside and out. Has anyone done this and if so any tips / tricks?

In general, considering the shells i have and the work needed does it sound worth the effort?

Thanks much!

Steve Johnson
Carmel, In

nanonoize

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dont do it ,those shell and lugs are becoming more wanted by the day,just buy yourself a nice projectset to tinker around with , and youll thank me inm the long run

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It wouldn't be worth it from a monetary standpoint. Your set won't be worth any more, probably less. Replacing all the lugs will get expensive. It would be a lot of work preparing the shells and painting them, and you may not like the results. So, you'd be putting a lot of time and money into a set that will end up being worth less than it is now.
It still might be worth it to you from a personal satisfaction standpoint. If you like the idea of having something unique that you created yourself, go for it. The Stage Custom is a decent kit, but it's not collectible, so it's not like you're talking about refinishing a vintage kit. If you do this, just promise us that you won't put it up on ebay or craigslist for $1500. :razz:

Reaction score
that does sound like a lot of work and money going into that kit. may be cheaper and easier to find a great deal on a cosmetically beat up kit or a bunch of singles with short individual lugs you dont mind and paint that. keep the yamahas to play as is or sell them off.

remhed

Reaction score
I definitely realize that doing this doesn't turn the kit into a valuable collector's piece or anything- it really is just for my own satisfaction. I am just a huge fan of that duco finish. When I bought that kit, it was lightly used and I think I paid maybe $700 for it (almost 10 years ago with hardware and some Sabian B8 cymbals ). Now you can get new stage customs for less than that!

nanonoize - i was suprised to read your comment. I see so many of these on ebay and CL that I find it hard to believe that they are becoming "more wanted". Why do you believe that? I think I'd be lucky to get 3, maybe 400 for it at best and to go buy another kit to tinker with will cost me at least that much. Although it is true that new lugs will cost me probably 150 or more...

Thanks for the replies you have given me something to think about.

percussionfrontier

Reaction score
I don't see these drums becoming more wanted, increasing in value, or worth collecting. No reason. The newer Stage Customs are made with better woods, better hardware, and cooler finishes. I have sold these kits in our shop used for the typical $200-300 mark based on condition, while buying in for half that.

You can definitely plug the holes and buy whatever lugs which will add a hundred $ at least to your kit. Main thing for a refinish is any contamination or compatibility issues with different paints. You can't add polyurethane over lacquer, or rattle cans over poly, etc. Only sure way there will be no issues is to fully strip all finish and clean thoroughly before any new paint. And if you wetsand and buff when holes are already drilled, you'll have your own problems there.

drumreaper

Reaction score
Personally, I like the longer one-piece lugs - they more resemble the Yamaha Recording Customs to me. I'd leave 'em! :occasion5:

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
The older long lug Stage customs can be had for peanuts. I have in my garage and at a friends studio a large collection of these purchased at about $20 a drum at a local hock shop.
At my friends rehearsal studio, I refinished a Stage Custom 8", 10" , 12" , 14" , and a 16" Keller bass drum and wrapped in Canal Plastics Satin Flame wrap...complete outlay less than $150. They all match, and sound fine in a 16' x 18' rehearsal space. {Plus they look cool}
Do what ever you want with your Stage Customs, as they are not going for big resale money. Great low cost drum refinishing learning experience could be had. If you planning on adding new lugs, expect to loose lots of money if ever reselling...but they are yours, so have fun. Please don't experiment with vintage shells though, please ? :rolleyes: :sad: