Opinion wanted...Trash Crashes

Kendrum

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just curious if anyone has an opinion to offer.

I've been considering purchasing an inexpensive 18" trash crash and am down to two models.

Zildjian's S series Trash Crash

Meinl's Classic Custom Trash Crash

Since no shop near me carries both It's been down to You Tube videos.

Anyone have any thoughts they'd care to share.All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't opine on the 2 you referenced above, but at one point, I was on s mission to find the best Trash crash to my ear. I went through the following:
- 18" HHX Ozone
- 20" Crescent Stanton Moore Trash Crash
- 19" Zildjian K custom hybrid trash smash
- 20" Zildjian Crash of Doom
After all those, I settled on 2 that, to me, are the most musical and the most useful - 18" and 20" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crashes.
The 20" is right above Chris Coleman's ride in this video:

Last edited by a moderator:

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never tested each cymbals listed above either. I tested the 18" HHX Ozone and the 16" Zildjian ZHT trash crash. Looks similar to the one S line pictured above but with oval/oblong holes. To me the ZHT sounded better and that's the one I eventually purchased. I don't know what it is about the S line but my local GC can't keep them in stock.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
based on the videos I liked the zildjian more...more variation...

the wuhan linears (5 sided cymbals) are really nice too...drum factory had them for low prices...i bought them all (11/13/15)...more splashy/crashy/trashy but the 15...

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was surprised how much a liked the Zildjian S when I played them in a shop. I don't remember them having any with holes.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my S trash crash. Sounds just as good as the A custom efx. I had the K custom special dry trash crash but prefer the S. The K custom had no body to it whatsoever.

SKINZ

Reaction score
Murat said:
18" Zildjian A Custom EFX.
+1. This, to my ears, is the best sounding one.
YUP + 2 I have an A custom 18 EFX nice cynbal I mount it upside down like a China has a airy exotic China esqe crash very dynamic ....

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Instead of buying a plate of metal swiss cheese, I find a LOT better sound, variety, versatility and resourcefulness by stacking a broken crash over a good crash, or a ride. Even two broken crashes almost always sound better to me than these "aero" crashes.

Stacks of this kind can sound like chinas or trash, and they can be played like a ride, closed or sloshy hi-hats, or a crash. Everyone has broken crashes around, right? They can also protect a good crash stacked underneath, indefinitely.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Neither of those appeal to me. I much prefer Paiste PSTX.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't say I actually need another cymbal, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent me from buying another one, of course. I have been interested in trying one of those floppy-looking Turkish Bee cymbals. Do any of you use one ?

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Trash crashes aren't my thing, but they are a really neat idea. It's like a China with a soft noise gate built into it.

J

jaymandude

I have 2 -

And 18 HHX Ozone. It's super super thin. Good cymbal

And a 16 A Custom Efx, I use it mostly as a top X hat, also a good cymbal. Much better than the K versions that Rupps had that day..

The trick is thin... That makes them even better to me..

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I tried the Z lines out didn't like them as much as the HHX Ozone. I have the PTSX as well. They sound great but aren't overpowering. What I use now is a 18" HH stack with the ozone or ptsx on the bottom and a cymbal with a chunk bit out of it on top. This is incredibly versatile.

Latest posts