header.nohb.html

Opinions and recommendations for highly structured online courses

No.15

Reaction score
I am looking to add in online lessons for myself. I have a teacher that I like but I want more. I live in a remote area so it's hard to find in person teachers for me to check out.

What I am looking for is an online course that is highly structured. I am not looking for 5 fills you must know or here is how to play this song type of classes. I would like course work that has a clear progression, working from basic to advance skills, rudiments etc. I figure after I get good at those skills, learning songs and creating music will happen organically.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many courses out there and I don't want to spent the next 3 months doig 14 day trials :)

tischrealdrum

Reaction score
I had to stop tryin at the 80/20 drummer program because it is TOO structured for me… ymmv. You might want to check it out.
Haha, I was also going to recommend the 80/20 coaching course for that reason. I've gone through it a handful of times and sill get a lot out of repeat attempts.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me online = grift. Anything other than live lessons with a person-- in person or on skype.

I would just find a couple of books and play through them, starting on page 1. Joel Rothman's Mini Monster Rock Book is good that way. It's all practical and learnable. Elementary Snare Drum Studies by Mitchell Peters is good for reading and basic snare drumming skills. Peters's Rudimental Primer is good for rudiments.

I imagine you'd need to work with your teacher some just to be able to read them, and make sure you're doing them in a way that's productive.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends what you're looking for. I'm a big fan of Dan Bailey's courses, but those are 100% recording focused.

I'm also working through Carter McLean's stuff, but that's a bit less focused -- although still very good

Danny

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good jazz drumming course?

Looked at 80/20 Drummer but like someone else said, it’s a bit too structured.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do find time to practice more than what your teacher assigns ?

Danny

Reaction score
How do find time to practice more than what your teacher assigns ?
I have a job, a family, home responsibilities. I don’t always have time every day to sit at my kit and deliver on practice assignments I’ve been given. I’m looking for resources where I can watch what the instructors are doing and work on them on my own time.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me online = grift.
It can be, for sure. In fact, I'd wager that most aren't worth it. Like most things in life, vet the source before buying. You can likely trust an institution like Berklee over "Dave's Drum Room" on Youtube, etc. This is one of the problems with the YT era, anyone can learn some stuff and turn around and try to monetize it. I've seen so many students develop crappy habits through YT. It's ten times harder to correct these issues after the fact. But, if your goal is to just learn a few beats/fills and have fun, maybe it doesn't matter.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am looking to add in online lessons for myself. I have a teacher that I like but I want more. I live in a remote area so it's hard to find in person teachers for me to check out.

What I am looking for is an online course that is highly structured. I am not looking for 5 fills you must know or here is how to play this song type of classes. I would like course work that has a clear progression, working from basic to advance skills, rudiments etc. I figure after I get good at those skills, learning songs and creating music will happen organically.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are so many courses out there and I don't want to spent the next 3 months doig 14 day trials :)
If you are looking to work in your technique, check out Gordy Knudtson’s books and accompanying videos. He also gives live private lessons via Skype, Zoom, Face time.

You can also check out Bill Bachman’s online courses.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a job, a family, home responsibilities. I don’t always have time every day to sit at my kit and deliver on practice assignments I’ve been given. I’m looking for resources where I can watch what the instructors are doing and work on them on my own time.
Now I’m really confused…???