Opinions DW Collectors or Pre YESS Yamaha RC as a gigging Kit

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
Good morning !! Hope you all are doing well and staying safe. Which kit do you think would be better overall for gigging Oldies/Classic Rock music. Pre YESS YRC Birch (Power Size) vs DW Collectors Maple. Both kits 10/12/16/22. I know there are plenty other brands that would definitely qualify but let’s keep this thread strictly to Yamaha/DW as I’m looking to make a decision and value your honest opinions.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Birch vs. Maple wouldn't concern me so much live (or in the studio for that matter), but given the style you're looking to cover, I'd probably lean toward the DW (standard/traditional sizes?) vs. the Yamaha in Power Sizes.

Two great kits either way!

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gigged both of those kits regularly (as well as a couple of other kits) from around 2010 to 2015. Both sounded great to me from the drivers seat and also received repeated compliments from the sound guys we were using. Either one would be a great choice and wouldn't fail to deliver a killer sound.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Good morning !! Hope you all are doing well and staying safe. Which kit do you think would be better overall for gigging Oldies/Classic Rock music. Pre YESS YRC Birch (Power Size) vs DW Collectors Maple. Both kits 10/12/16/22. I know there are plenty other brands that would definitely qualify but let’s keep this thread strictly to Yamaha/DW as I’m looking to make a decision and value your honest opinions.
One thing I noticed about RC's in a live un-mic'd setting, they sound like cardboard boxes from about 20 feet away.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
For me, Yamaha. I’ve had many DW Collectors and RC’s and for my money, Yamaha all day.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve played backline of both these kits and while I prefer the Yamaha I’ll get practical here and opine that for the music you say you are playing my vote is for the DW maple shells.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apples versus Oranges - both are good drum sets and it is more a decision of how you like your drums to sound and look .

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the type of music you described, neither of those two options would be my first pick...or second, but either will work (DW, probably better).

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve played backline of both these kits and while I prefer the Yamaha I’ll get practical here and opine that for the music you say you are playing my vote is for the DW maple shells.
Same. I'm a total Yamaha snob, and still, I'd guess that for your gigs, the DWs might be the way to go.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Having a DW pre collectors kit and having gigged with it, I am biased. I've never owned a Yamaha recording Custom kit but I have owned a prior Birch kit. I don't think there's any question that Maple blows away Birch to me so DW.....

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gigged a Pre YESS, Yamaha Recording Custom for a few years, that bass drum was a real creeper. Other than that, great kit.

So much has to do with what heads you choose, how you tune, how you play and who your sound guy is....and, I don’t think anyone really notices.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you played on power sizes before? They can be difficult to get into a good position if you're finicky with your set-up.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although I'm currently using Gretsch USA Customs, from 2008 through May of 2019 I gigged every weekend with my DW Collector's Series playing classic rock. It worked great for that type of gig.

1593746259217.png

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of those two I’d also say the DW but for classic/oldies a Ludwig Classic Maple with Supraphonic snare would be my absolute first choice

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, so much depends on what you mean by Classic Rock and Oldies-- that can mean SO many things. Talking Heads can be classic rock. U2 could be classic Rock. ZZ Top. The Eagles. Traffic. The Knack. Tommy James.

Anyway, I think your snare drum and cymbal choices matter a LOT more than your tom choices. You can't go wrong with either kit, especially if you're going to mic them up.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems like these days if I see an actual classic rock band or oldies band on TV, they are usually playing DW. Oldies shows are often multiple acts with either a house band and / or a backline kit, which is usually DW but sometimes Yamaha. Either kit would work great.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the DW bass drum more than the Yamaha RC bass drum, but I like the Yamaha toms by a slight margin more than the DW toms.
So my choice would be the DW Collectors.

Latest posts