Opinions on Gibraltar Tom Mount

Exploder

Reaction score
Hi , I want to "open " up the sound on some three ply vintage Luds......These Tom mounts seem to be reasonably priced...Options are limited in Australia
Any opinions are very appreciated
Gibralter Tom Mount.jpg

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Okay as a utility mount, terrible as a sound-enhancing isolation mount - like REALLY bad. It puts all the load in one spot and fouls the tuning.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
See if you can find Gauger RIMS mounts... the real things, not the knock offs.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Online dealers accept returns. Surely there are online dealers there. Buy one and try it. I'll bet they work fine.

GeeDeeEmm

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The two lug version generally doesn't work very well. Is there already a mount on the drum? If so maybe consider replacing it with an INDe mount. I've been replacing all the brackets on my various Ludwigs with the INDe brackets and it helps. Otherwise see if you can find "real" RIMS or at least knock-offs that connect to more than two lugs.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
The two lug version generally doesn't work very well. Is there already a mount on the drum? If so maybe consider replacing it with an INDe mount. I've been replacing all the brackets on my various Ludwigs with the INDe brackets and it helps. Otherwise see if you can find "real" RIMS or at least knock-offs that connect to more than two lugs.

The stand alone Inde mounts do work well, but not so much the Indes that combine the tom mount with a lug. I tried one for a few months and it killed the tom. Ended up putting the rims back on and it now sings like it should. The ones that combine the lugs DO work well on a bass drum for a cymbal mount though.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The stand alone Inde mounts do work well, but not so much the Indes that combine the tom mount with a lug. I tried one for a few months and it killed the tom. Ended up putting the rims back on and it now sings like it should. The ones that combine the lugs DO work well on a bass drum for a cymbal mount though.
I haven't tried one of those as yet. I'm not a fan of replacing a lug with a holder whether Atlas Mount or INDe (although between the two I'd definitely use the INDe). I prefer to have a traditional style tom mount centered on the shell, whether the original or the INDe, but the INDe does make an improvement to my ear.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Hi Exploder,

Are you in Melbourne? If you give Jeff at Drumpower in Bayswater a call, and tell him “Happy As” sent you, he may be able to help. Hopefully, I’m not speaking out of school, but when I told him of my RIMS dilemma (as in Gibraltar stopped making the good ones) he reached under the counter and provided these. They look great and fitted up perfectly and sound every bit as good as the Gibraltars I have, and better than Optimounts. I’m not sure how many he has, but I got a 10” and a 12” and am very happy. And Jeff is a great guy, easily my most favourite drum shop guy. Don’t tell him though. :smile:

Regards Larry

RIMS mounts.jpg

Reactions: dtk

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Hi , I want to "open " up the sound on some three ply vintage Luds......These Tom mounts seem to be reasonably priced...Options are limited in Australia
Any opinions are very appreciated
As I mentioned earlier, Drumpower in Bayswater, Victoria have some excellent RIMS mounts. I spoke with Jeff today and they still have some in stock, except he sold his last 13” the other day. Which is likely the size you’re after with vintage Luddy 3 plies.