Opinions on this new tama finish

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mapex Mars version caught my eye the other day; may be a little softer than the Tama-->

Last edited:

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I think I like it, but it's definitely on the edge.

I find it hard to judge this style of finish without seeing it in person...Does it have cool variation and depth? Or is it let down by an uncanny synthetic aspect?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a bit better picture. I ordered one for my shop because , well, it is the new Maple/Birch and I am a Tama fanboy :cool: . At first glance it reminded me a bit of the Sonor SQ2 African Marble look. Looking forward to seeing this in real life.
MBS42SCAR-large.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting. I'd like to know how they finish it. As for sound, it sounded good with mallets but the heads are dead and the tuning is awful......

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I think I like it, but it's definitely on the edge.

I find it hard to judge this style of finish without seeing it in person...Does it have cool variation and depth? Or is it let down by an uncanny synthetic aspect?
You said it - does it look like quality wood or does it look like plastic? Tama is capable of both - some of their wood finishes look natural and beautiful, like the Tamo ash G-maple - and some look like plastic, like the G-Walnut.

The Mapex Mars finishes, while kinda cool (especially for the price point) are very much in the plastic-looking camp. It’s a wrap, and looks like a wrap. Photographs well, in person a little bit cheesy.

Something about a vertical stripey finish that I can’t like, it always puts me in mind of circus tents.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it.

I bought a Pork Pie that looks somewhat similar to this. It’s a very nice veneer finish of rosewood/zebrawood and I think it looks pretty classy. I would also like to know if this Tama is a veneer or something less. I’m guessing the price would tell us a little something about what type of finish it is.