Ordered a pair of...

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I like the size, shape and tip of the VF Peter Erskine Ride Stick. Now if they would put RT's lacquer finish on it, it would be perfect.

1594767999918.png

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I have the only remaining two pairs of the nylon tip version. Indistinguishable in sound from the wood tip but lasting 4 times as long.
Really? I’ve never seen a nylon tip Ride Stick. Must be a very soft nylon.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I have the only remaining two pairs of the nylon tip version. Indistinguishable in sound from the wood tip but lasting 4 times as long.
The deceptive Erskine Ride stick. Makes any ride cymbal indistinguishable from another.

Get a serious tip!

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same nylon just shaped like the wood tip.
I asked Peter at a NAMM show if they could make his Big Band stick in nylon.
Never happened.

Erskine Nylon.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Since we are all comparing, here is one of four pairs of the discontinued Vic Firth SD4N the I own:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Pete, don't ever show those again. Keep them private. Don't let the kids see them."
THEY NEVER EXISTED we'll just leave it at that.
Tell meyou like them

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Tell meyou like them
They are absolutely perfect when you are outdoors and need a little more cut, but still want that feel of an SD4. The maple rimshot cannot be matched.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I was a maple guy for a long time - liked the extra girth and less weight. I got around to thinner, longer hickory and prefer it. When I pick up a pair of maple sticks now it feels like playing hardball with a whiffle bat.
There is a lot of variation in both weight and pitch from one pair to the next. I've been using a pair of SD4s lately that weigh 45g per stick and are pitched at an F# (heavy and low, relatively). For the length and width, that is pretty much in-line with what a hickory stick would weigh. The extra weight helps pull more out of the drums, but the feeling is still that of maple from a shock standpoint. It's kind of the best of both worlds to me. Now compare that stick to the pair of Vater Fusions I own which are longer and wider, but only weigh 38g per stick! They definition feel like whiffle ball bats, and for that reason, are unusable to me.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Same nylon just shaped like the wood tip.
I asked Peter at a NAMM show if they could make his Big Band stick in nylon.
Never happened.

View attachment 451066
I fell in love with the Erskine Ride stick and the Big Band sticks years ago based on posts from you and others. I ultimately found a couple of pairs of NOS models(Ride stick) with the nylon tip. Got them shipped in from somewhere in Europe. I seem to play a lot more of the Big Band stick lately, but had the tips crack on my last pair. Nylon on these would be super nice.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with the Erskine Ride stick and the Big Band sticks years ago based on posts from you and others. I ultimately found a couple of pairs of NOS models(Ride stick) with the nylon tip. Got them shipped in from somewhere in Europe. I seem to play a lot more of the Big Band stick lately, but had the tips crack on my last pair. Nylon on these would be super nice.
Always hoped VF would have made those. They would have sold two pair immediately. As I recall I bought the nylon Ride sticks from a guy in Europe too. The same guy no doubt. He was the only one who had any. I bought his last 7 pair some years ago. Still have two remaining. Can I send ya one? On me.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of pair also! Are they not made anymore?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was a maple guy for a long time - liked the extra girth and less weight. I got around to thinner, longer hickory and prefer it. When I pick up a pair of maple sticks now it feels like playing hardball with a whiffle bat.
Always have both in my stick bag/ Hick and mape/ no oak/ Oak stay home Ed Shaughnessy
Hickory/ Elvin Jones/ Roy haynes/

Latest posts