Ordered a pair of...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of name is that, MJC4, for a stick?

Sounds like the latest stealth fighter jets...
Modern Jazz Collection 4--- Read Jimmy READ post #1 and #2 from last wednesday
Yeah it's sorta stealth-like B-2 bomber

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These sticks are like an extension of your mind..

oh yeah and I bought a second pair tonight you know just in case I have a gig this summer.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a lot of outdoors in Pennsylvania.
I know of a steady Saturday afternoon that's started back up and has been going on, I could get that call; in the parking lot, in the shade of a carport, of a formerly indoor every Tuesday gig , Or...some other outdoor keep your distance mamma....i dunno..

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an outdoor gig for Saturday!

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Im setting my Slingerlands up in the back yard and doing a solo drum concert for the squirrels and my dog.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Will be using mjc6 model

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
The extra weight helps pull more out of the drums, but the feeling is still that of maple from a shock standpoint. It's kind of the best of both worlds to me.
What I came to realize over time is that stick shock is mostly down to your overall volume floor and grip.

If you can persist your base playing volume to mezzo-piano and implement a grip that includes a loose cradle when riding with the lead hand, stick shock becomes less of a concern. You also create significantly more dynamic headroom for layering sound levels.

Anyway, the point is that I found sticks with denser mass respond better to dynamic intent, both in feedback (not shock) and outcome. I can go from MP to F, and points in between, with less thought or effort. Whereas with maple, most of them anyway, I tended to dig into it and muscle volume from the set, creating tension and disturbing flow. It feels like there's more of a 1 to 1 effort to outcome ratio with a denser wood. If that makes any sense.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Anyway, the point is that I found sticks with denser mass respond better to dynamic intent, both in feedback (not shock) and outcome. I can go from MP to F, and points in between, with less thought or effort. Whereas with maple, most of them anyway, I tended to dig into it and muscle volume from the set, creating tension and disturbing flow. It feels like there's more of a 1 to 1 effort to outcome ratio with a denser wood. If that makes any sense.
That absolutely makes sense. I used the light-end of the spectrum for a while because I could "dig in" and the volume wouldn't rise too high (and I needed to dig in to get rebound and ideas out). But as I have been continuing to work on my technique and control, I am finding that denser sticks indeed give you more possibilities. Back to exact weights: the SD4s I used for a while were around 38-39g per stick. The ones I use now are 45g per stick.

My thoughts on taper are kind of related. I don't like extreme, or long, tapers as it feels like you need to do more initial work to get the stick going (throw the stick). With shorter tapers, the stick does more of the work. If I am comping using traditional grip, it's more of a drop than a true stroke for me. That doesn't work well when using a stick with a long, thin neck. Drop and fingers.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like extreme, or long, tapers as it feels like you need to do more initial work to get the stick going (throw the stick). With shorter tapers, the stick does more of the work. If I am comping using traditional grip, it's more of a drop than a true stroke for me. That doesn't work well when using a stick with a long, thin neck
That's the good thing with these MJC4. The neck is not thin but it's a little extended so that, it feels, like there is (and there is) a long "flat" spot where you can, with just a slight angle activate a flat side stick on the cymbal. It's in this stick but it also has all the beef you need to play every dynamic. There's nothing that seems un-normal but there is an extended runway that allows flat sticking a cymbal with ease like no other. there's no weakness or having to compensate, it otherwise is a normal stick. The 16 3/8" you don't feel- in the right hand. In the left hand you have to watch and adjust choke up just a little but the length is invisible in the right hand- in the left butt end out matched- or butt end out Trad in the left-- you notice length but I think that quickly can be compensated for. Quickly

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
How does it feel playing bossa nova?
Not too long?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
un huh.... Do all your cymbals a favor (with a pair of these) Give them a treat...this is the biggest maple stick geared specifically to spangalang I can think of... after years of no attention (SD4 and SD2 notwithout standing...and it's "not" a mildly modified, ancient telephone pole (SD9,10,11.... more like a sleek 5G tower... far reach into the delicacies and intricacies ______ "left" needs about a 1/2" slide-up pretty easy hand/grip/ to do adjustment

I have one last description I won't mention it's sort of rated X.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they play quintuplets?
they won't stop playing 5, 7, 9, 11 and borderline 13..phrases .in 4/4 (12/eight...
they give my old Ks a rejuvenation/ makeover frankly of /another 20 years of life/ they've unlocked.

it's the flat area (beefy maple, remember) is so long 3-4"

opened up old K volume right to 2020 SAE ISO 9000 standards
without losing any of the quiet- added not subtracted...

smack city ride city and on drums - magic.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
JDA

"I have one last description I won't mention it's sort of rated X."

Joe. Are you the master of your sticks domane?

I get the sense you really like these sticks. Like REALLY like them.

I'm happy for you two. You make a cute couple.

When's the wedding?

You having a live band?