Original Ludwig Floor Tom?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a WFL or Ludwig 3 ply older 12x15 snare with single point lug (the kind with the claws and a very long rod going thru the eyeholes) - bare shell only. Mahogany outer ply. It would make a great conversion drum. You would need to re-edge the snare side as it has snare beds. Let me know if interested. If you are going to strip that bowling wrap, I'd love to grab it!

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the attention this drum has generated here, I would consider putting it on ebay with a fairly high buy it now price. (or Reverb)
And see if it sells. That floor tom looks legit to me. I ordered a small tom from Ludwig in 1971 with some custom features and they made
it exactly as I wanted. I rewrapped a set in Bermuda Sand a long time ago, when I thought I could not find a real deal Pink Champagne set.
I was very disappointed in that Precision Drum wrap and how it did not come close to Pink Champagne. I am sure you are tired of all this, but
it would be a big shame to strip that wrap off that drum.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t strip the wrap. I would buy a another shell or have one made and use the hardware and then resell the shell. I’m sure someone out there is looking for that exact finish.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is over romanticizing this drum. It already was on eBay and reverb. That’s how I got it. The description and pictures were good and accurate, easy to find for any buyer looking for this brand, size, or finish. It even said bowling ball in the description.

The seller listed for a very reasonable price. I didn’t need this finish so I waited a few days before sending in a lower than asking offer which the seller accepted.
I didn’t snipe this last second against a bunch of other bidders and have to pay a premium. It was obviously not that desirable.

That said, the market has spoken. It was publicly listed and no one wanted it. It’s only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.
If I listed it I wouldn’t think I’d get much more than I paid, which was about equal to what 15” matching snares are going for.

I’ll get it today or tomorrow and then decide what I want to do.

It’s everything I want, b/o badge, original 15” floor tom (so I wouldn’t need to add extra holes), 3-ply and clear interior. The only “issue” is the wrap doesn’t match my kit. Maybe not a deal breaker, maybe I’ll leave it, not sure.

If anyone really wanted it, it was online for at least a week for the taking. I didn’t jump on this. I waited and then I decided to get it.

Last edited:

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the description this was supposed to have wrap that was not in good condition. Other than 2 minor scratches which blend into the color/pattern of the wrap and the seam is visible, the drum is mint.

This was not a rack tom and the bolts for the floor tom mounts are original Ludwig and same age as the drum so I can confirm this is a factory b/o 70’s 15 floor tom, clear 3-ply interior, and we can assume the wrap is original given the color and seam, and let me tell you it sings like a little bird even with old heads. Although I’m biased as I LOVE vintage 3-ply Ludwig’s.

I’ll keep this as is with the wrap, hopefully easing any concerns from the vintage enthusiasts. Maybe even add a 12” and kick one day if I find a deal.

Cool little drum here folks. Here are some pics.
C18E08EF-7625-41FB-B963-7CD0A1D90090.jpeg

A7B89318-7071-4ABA-B6AB-D048DC378D1F.jpeg

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m glad to hear it will stay og some of these finishes are becoming more and more rare. At the end of the day it’s your drum do what you will but I think adding a kick and rack would be cool. Heck even finding a 18 and 12 and getting a wrap to match wild be stellar

Last edited:

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For now she’ll have to try to blend in with her family. Here’s the other floor tom, it’s 14” and 10” deep in original champagne sparkle. The seller said it was a tenor drum. I added inde legs and s-hoops. If you haven’t tried s-hoops on 3-ply Ludwig you’re missing out. Especially on a pioneer snare drum.
9604134B-6222-4485-BF12-53EB41D83E9A.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
For now she’ll have to try to blend in with her family. Here’s the other floor tom, it’s 14” and 10” deep in original champagne sparkle. The seller said it was a tenor drum. I added inde legs and s-hoops. If you haven’t tried s-hoops on 3-ply Ludwig you’re missing out. Especially on a pioneer snare drum.
View attachment 563252

I agree with... everyone. Including you. Haha.

It is a somewhat hard to find drum if you needed it specifically, but at the end of the day, it's just a drum. There are others out there and it's yours. Do as you please.

Looks like a fun drum. I have 2 12x15 floor toms and I really like them.
Can you expand on what you said about the 3ply/s-hoop combo, or S-hoops in general?

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with... everyone. Including you. Haha.

It is a somewhat hard to find drum if you needed it specifically, but at the end of the day, it's just a drum. There are others out there and it's yours. Do as you please.

Looks like a fun drum. I have 2 12x15 floor toms and I really like them.
Can you expand on what you said about the 3ply/s-hoop combo, or S-hoops in general?
Sure, I guess similar to die cast hoops, it focuses the tone. Less outside ring and more inside center beautiful Ludwig tone.

S-hoops are less mass than die cast and more than triple flanged, so I think they are perfect for vintage drums without getting rid of too much sound.

To me, if you add s-hoops to a pioneer it gets rid of that 6 lug ring and gives you an 8 lug jazz fest sound. The pioneer with s-hoops is one of my favorite snares. With triple flanged hoops I don’t care for it at all.

rwm5

Reaction score
@dingaling I have a 12x15” marching tenor drum, keystone badge and mini classic lugs in gold sparkle if you are interested. I’ve had it for years in a case, no hoops, the bearing edges are in good shape, I just never did anything with it. Also I’m local to you.

I have Ludwig FT brackets from the 70’s as well…

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@dingaling I have a 12x15” marching tenor drum, keystone badge and mini classic lugs in gold sparkle if you are interested. I’ve had it for years in a case, no hoops, the bearing edges are in good shape, I just never did anything with it. Also I’m local to you.

I have Ludwig FT brackets from the 70’s as well…
Thanks for the offer, normally I’d jump on a deal but with this new blue tom, all of my storage space is at 100% capacity.

Until I get a larger space (hoping to move next year) I’m on a holding pattern for buying anything additional.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sure, I guess similar to die cast hoops, it focuses the tone. Less outside ring and more inside center beautiful Ludwig tone.

S-hoops are less mass than die cast and more than triple flanged, so I think they are perfect for vintage drums without getting rid of too much sound.

To me, if you add s-hoops to a pioneer it gets rid of that 6 lug ring and gives you an 8 lug jazz fest sound. The pioneer with s-hoops is one of my favorite snares. With triple flanged hoops I don’t care for it at all.

That's a hot tip for 6-lug drums! Thanks!

Ya know, if you're not going to refinish that drum, you could put it on Reverb or Ebay and sit on it for a while. Could end up funding your ideal drum. Or even get one brand new!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 563252
Speaking of hen's teeth, earlier in the thread you mentioned the champagne floor was a 14x12. I'm (sort of) glad to see it's a converted 14x10 concert tom because if it had been a legit champagne B/O 14x12 I would have probably died from envy. 14x12 rack toms were incredibly rare in the 3-ply era and it's one size I assume I'll never add to my champagne collection.