Original Tune - Recent Posts

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a lot of posts regarding recording and video I thought I'd share my recent efforts. Still bumbling around trying to figure it all out - that includes the playing too.

A tune from our guitarist. He sent me the guitar parts and a simple bass part. He really gave me no input prior. It's so different doing a cover where you mostly try and copy versus selecting the right parts for the arrangement. I recorded the drums and then the new bass and keys were added.

The interface is a Soundcraft UI24r going directly into Cubase. I mixed in Cubase with Fabfilter EQ - compressor - and reverb.
Mics - 57 on snare top and bottom, hat, room mics, Audix D2 on toms, Beta 52 inside kick - cheapo condenser outside, Rode NT 1 overheads.

Recorded the video with a Logitech webcam into OBS - then took the mix out of Cubase and synched with the video in Lightworks.

I recorded the drums and video on a pretty cheap laptop onto an external solid state drive. 4 gigs of Ram and no problems so far. I mix on a newer desktop with no issues.

I use Cubase because that's what came with my first interface - stuck with it but it's expensive. If I was starting out I'd go with Reaper.
I got a lot of the 57 mics from a live sound company - they look bad but still work - was a great deal.
Mixing for me is always a challenge - mysterious...

Paiste Thin Masters - 20 and 18 crashes - 15 hats. 22 602 ME ride and 18 pst.
Snare is Steve Jordan - toms and kick Corders - 10 x 12 - 14 x 14 16 x 20.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that made my morning! Nice playing and choices for that tune. I love having the freedom to input my own part as well. Thanks for posting. :)

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely done, hoss!

(That angle makes your sticks look 20 inches long and you’re holding them on the last quarter inch, which is a cool effect.)