oriollo

Reaction score
Those lugs are great. Loving that matte finish.

I know you do these in different shell thicknesses, based on what the client wants (3mm, 4mm, re-rings, no rings, etc). I'm curious, what is the tonal affect the thicker you go? For example, whats the difference between 3mm and 4mm? What about 6mm, or higher? (besides more weight/back pain haha).
Thanks!
Generally, the thicker - the more focused sound, with less overtones and slightly higher basic pitch. We got demos of a couple of different bell bronze animals on our YouTube channel.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
New series launched. Red bronze. Also called Gunmetal, Cannon metal, red brass, ... It's an alloy of copper (about 80%) with tin, zinc and lead.
Oriollo Dreamer >>
Looks awesome, and sounds great in the demo! I have a few annoying questions:

How would you characterize the sound of this alloy vs traditional cast bronze?

What difference does the Superthincast shell thickness make with regard to sound?

How much lighter in weight is a Superthincast shell vs a traditional cast shell?

purity

Reaction score
New series launched. Red bronze. Also called Gunmetal, Cannon metal, red brass, ... It's an alloy of copper (about 80%) with tin, zinc and lead.
Oriollo Dreamer >>

Is that a patina finish? It looks great.

My phantom has rarely left my snare stand the past year...might be time to pick up something else. Any thoughts/plans on offering a 13"?

oriollo

Reaction score
Looks awesome, and sounds great in the demo! I have a few annoying questions:

How would you characterize the sound of this alloy vs traditional cast bronze?

What difference does the Superthincast shell thickness make with regard to sound?

How much lighter in weight is a Superthincast shell vs a traditional cast shell?
Well, it's difficult to compare them sound-wise as this shell is SuperThinCast and Bellmakers were are all 3mm+
I would say red bronze is somewhere between bell bronze and brass.
The shell alone is about 30% lighter compared to a similar 3.5mm shell. That puts its fundamental note lower and makes it more open.

oriollo

Reaction score
Is that a patina finish? It looks great.

My phantom has rarely left my snare stand the past year...might be time to pick up something else. Any thoughts/plans on offering a 13"?
Yep, it's a patina.
13" is doable in any metal ;)

Latest posts