michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had to share. This is pretty much right outta the box with a quick wide open tuning with no audio precessing except a small bit of reverb. I'll do a better video with proper titles and bikini dancers (woman) when I have time. Still working on a 2 up 1 down configuration.

My first 20" bd kit. Don't know what took me so long. Love the big focused boom from the 20. Exactly what I was hoping for. Another great kit Vukan!
Headphones recommended.

Jeez Louise! That kit sounds really amazing. WOW.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds really great, Sinc .....

Man, I would love to get my hands on those two "rack" size toms, whip up a prototype drill-less mount using a INDe BR2/BR2XL, and hang 'em off to the left of that cannon of a bass drum.

Too bad we live at opposite ends of the CA bipole ...........

Mike

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So Vukan, if you are tuning in ..........

Any thoughts on a mounting system for your lightweight "rack" size toms? Other than the tried-and-true RIMs mount, that is. I think there are many of us who might like to use a cleaner, perhaps "lug-based" approach to mounting these toms. I'm thinking along the lines of tying into four of the lugs in order to mount a small plate; this plate would then carry the clamp of your choice. I'm kinda partial to the INDe "suspension" product, myself ..... it provides isolation, and importantly ..... is available.

I imagine that there could be some effect on the resonance of the shell itself; as you have pointed out to me before, the less mass tied into the shell itself, the better. (I had asked about the possibility of using sixteen of the single "Milla" lugs on my 13x7" snare, instead of the eight double-ended lugs.) From a strength standpoint, however, I think a four-point attachment would be adequate, even with the thin Phantom shell.

????

Mike

oriollo

Reaction score

Any thoughts on a mounting system for your lightweight "rack" size toms? Other than the tried-and-true RIMs mount, that is. I think there are many of us who might like to use a cleaner, perhaps "lug-based" approach to mounting these toms. I'm thinking along the lines of tying into four of the lugs in order to mount a small plate; this plate would then carry the clamp of your choice. I'm kinda partial to the INDe "suspension" product, myself ..... it provides isolation, and importantly ..... is available.

I imagine that there could be some effect on the resonance of the shell itself; as you have pointed out to me before, the less mass tied into the shell itself, the better. (I had asked about the possibility of using sixteen of the single "Milla" lugs on my 13x7" snare, instead of the eight double-ended lugs.) From a strength standpoint, however, I think a four-point attachment would be adequate, even with the thin Phantom shell.

????

Mike
Well, I was considering several options. But due to this virus situation it all got stalled. Will see next year ...

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had to share. This is pretty much right outta the box with a quick wide open tuning with no audio processing except a small bit of reverb. I'll do a better video with proper titles and bikini dancers (woman) when I have time. Still working on a 2 up 1 down configuration.

My first 20" bd kit. Don't know what took me so long. Love the big focused boom from the 20. Exactly what I was hoping for. Another great kit Vukan!
Headphones recommended.

As I said in the tom mount thread, OMG!!! I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a sweeter recorded drum sound. Just, WOW!

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a sweeter recorded drum sound. Just, WOW!
Thanks MG very kind and much appreciated. All I did was put up two overheads and a kick mic, get levels and have at it. I didn't want it to sound processed in any way, trying to capture the sound of the drums without all that other stuff. It's pretty much exactly what I hear from behind the kit. I'll do another longer one later. Heck I might even mic the toms.
Thanks agin.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank MG very kind and much appreciated. All I did was put up two overheads and a kick mic, get levels and have at it. I didn't want it to sound processed in any way, trying to capture the sound of the drums without all that other stuff. It's pretty much exactly what I hear from behind the kit. I'll do another longer one later. Heck I might even mic the toms.
Thanks agin.
I'm not sure how to describe it, but, the metalic characteristics of the sound your drums is much more musical than I would have expected from metal toms and bass drum. They are very resonant, but, without harsh overtones that sometimes come with highly resonant drums. Can't wait to hear more!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to share. This is pretty much right outta the box with a quick wide open tuning with no audio processing except a small bit of reverb. I'll do a better video with proper titles and bikini dancers (woman) when I have time. Still working on a 2 up 1 down configuration.

Headphones recommended.

I'd wondered how they sounded and that sounds fantastic, I love that metallic tone, a lot.

Thanks for sharing that.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd wondered how they sounded and that sounds fantastic, I love that metallic tone, a lot.

Thanks for sharing that.
Thanks SM. Appreciate your comments. The tone is not even that bright or metallic to me, of course my wife will tell you I've lost some high end over the years, and she might be half right but still...to me they have all the warm resonance of wood with maybe a crisper attack.
I know from playing one of Vukan's small jazz kits for years that they respond really well to different head characteristics. If one wanted to smooth out any unwanted brightness you could simply try a double ply or thicker head. The heads on my demo are single ply Ambassadors with no muffling.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

????

Mike
FYI, my experience with the Atlas lug/mount is that it significantly impairs the resonance of a 9x13 tom. Seemed like a good idea, but, didn’t work well at all. I’m guessing that putting a mount that supports the weight of the drum on a single bracket so close to the bearing edge seems to distort the shape of the drum more than a mount that’s closer to the middle of the shell. JMO!

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks SM. Appreciate your comments. The tone is not even that bright or metallic to me, of course my wife will tell you I've lost some high end over the years, and she might be half right but still...to me they have all the warm resonance of wood with maybe a crisper attack.
I know from playing one of Vukan's small jazz kits for years that they respond really well to different head characteristics. If one wanted to smooth out any unwanted brightness you could simply try a double ply or thicker head. The heads on my demo are single ply Ambassadors with no muffling.
Did you end up deciding you like the tom placement how they are in the vid? Or are you going with something else? I've always struggled with two down, myself.

And yeah, that 24" is magic, man. Too sweet. Is it that trashy in person?

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you end up deciding you like the tom placement how they are in the vid? Or are you going with something else? I've always struggled with two down, myself.

And yeah, that 24" is magic, man. Too sweet. Is it that trashy in person?
That 2628g 24 is trashy when your on the edge and surprisingly defined when riding for a stick sound. Of course at that weight it has it's volume limits.

I looked through my old hardware and lo and behold I found some old RIMS that will work temporarily for a 2 up and maybe longer. Would like the lighter weight alloy of the new ones when I find the money.

Attachments

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score

Headphones recommended.

You probably already thought about this... if you're going to set it up, 2 up 1 down, you might consider the iNDE suspension mounts that replace a lug, and require no additional holes to be drilled... probably the slickest way to get the job done. I would choose the BR3.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/inde-suspension-mounting-bracket

**One last thought... if you want to protect your shell from contact with the [much larger than your original Oriollo lug] BR3, order a couple gaskets from DFD or the drum parts supply store of your choice. Ask for the largest gaskets that provide the largest footprint, so you get a lot of material to work with. Then cut them to fit the BR3 lugs.

***I see you went with RIMS, but I still think the iNDE is a more streamlined, less clunky approach, in case you ever change your mind about the RIMS.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas D4L. I'm going to look onto that. I discovered I had those RIMS and wanted to try them as a temporary fix. They do work but add weight. I had dismissed the BR3's after Josh's email response about the stability of mounting both toms to their drill free rail but now that Im hanging both from cymbal stands it's worth a second look. I do like how sleek they are, and your gasket idea makes sense.