Oriollo/Page Frankenkit... The beginning

cutaway79

Reaction score
I finally received my 12x8 Oriollo tom shell to start experimenting with the Page Drums free-floating cable-tensioned hardware. If all goes well, I'll order a 22x14, and 15x12-13 (haven't decided on depth yet). Here's an indoor, and outdoor pic of the bare shell... Not even a badge.

fullsizeoutput_228.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_229.jpeg

cutaway79

Reaction score
... And here's my box of Page parts. Lots of dust from being in storage for a few years or more, but it'll all clean up nice.

fullsizeoutput_22a.jpeg

cutaway79

Reaction score
This is just a test, using some existing parts I had in my garage. I didn't even clean off the dust. The finished product will have a Gauger RIMS mount, and new heads, and will be clean.

I tested it against my Mapex Orion - both are 12x8, with worn-in clear Emperors over Ambassadors (smooth white for the Mapex, clear for the Oriollo) - and the Oriollo sounds just as good, but with a bit more "bite". I may experiment with porting the reso head just for gits and shiggles, since the Oriollo shell has no air vent. So far, I'm very pleased.

IMG_20190115_152417.jpeg

IMG_20190115_153000.jpeg

IMG_20190115_153005.jpeg

cutaway79

Reaction score
15x12 floor tom shell ordered. As well as a Gauger RIMS mount, and a Noble & Cooley CoolMount for the 12".

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very interesting and not all together unpleasant to look at either! I have several "guys in the know" here locally that say cable tension drums are fixing to make a big return... you might be at the forefront with the Oriollo version!

cutaway79

Reaction score
Very interesting and not all together unpleasant to look at either! I have several "guys in the know" here locally that say cable tension drums are fixing to make a big return... you might be at the forefront with the Oriollo version!
I really don't see why this type of tuning system isn't more popular. It's easy to tune and change heads. It requires less manufacturing time/cost, as there is no drilling needed. And buying one kit could open up all kinds of sound options, if you just get different sets of shells to use with the system... Changing shells is as easy as changing heads.

I know there are the people who insist that you need to tune your top and bottom heads differently. But, I have my Mapex Orion tom tuned with the bottom head about 2 steps higher than the batter. I played them side-by-side, and the Oriollo sounds just as good. I (very, very easily) got the Oriollo to where it produces the same pitch as the Orion, and the only real sound difference is a bit more bite from the Oriollo.

I honestly think the whole idea that heads need to be tuned differently is just one of those "stubborn drummer" things... Like the ones who say floor toms have to have legs (or the ones who, not too long ago, insisted that putting legs on your floor tom robbed the drum of its resonance). Or that your drums and cymbals must be as level as possible, with no (or very little) angle. Or those who insist that a drummer is wrong for using Pinstripes or other such heads... It all stems from some weird "if you don't do it like me, you're a stupid noob" mentality that so many drummers seem to have.

Bottom line, this tuning system works really well.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I really don't see why this type of tuning system isn't more popular. It's easy to tune and change heads. It requires less manufacturing time/cost, as there is no drilling needed. And buying one kit could open up all kinds of sound options, if you just get different sets of shells to use with the system... Changing shells is as easy as changing heads.

I know there are the people who insist that you need to tune your top and bottom heads differently. But, I have my Mapex Orion tom tuned with the bottom head about 2 steps higher than the batter. I played them side-by-side, and the Oriollo sounds just as good. I (very, very easily) got the Oriollo to where it produces the same pitch as the Orion, and the only real sound difference is a bit more bite from the Oriollo.

I honestly think the whole idea that heads need to be tuned differently is just one of those "stubborn drummer" things... Like the ones who say floor toms have to have legs (or the ones who, not too long ago, insisted that putting legs on your floor tom robbed the drum of its resonance). Or that your drums and cymbals must be as level as possible, with no (or very little) angle. Or those who insist that a drummer is wrong for using Pinstripes or other such heads... It all stems from some weird "if you don't do it like me, you're a stupid noob" mentality that so many drummers seem to have.

Bottom line, this tuning system works really well.
Page drums are amazing. I've met David Page several times and he walked me through using his tuning system. Single rod tuning is something to behold as well. Sleishman drums always sound amazing to me and they also provide equal tension between heads. Here's something to keep in mind; if you use thicker 2-ply batter heads over single-ply resos, the pitch will be higher on the reso when tuned to the same tension. So if you do want pitch differences, this can be achieved as well. I can't wait to see the results of this project.

cutaway79

Reaction score
Page drums are amazing. I've met David Page several times and he walked me through using his tuning system. Single rod tuning is something to behold as well. Sleishman drums always sound amazing to me and they also provide equal tension between heads. Here's something to keep in mind; if you use thicker 2-ply batter heads over single-ply resos, the pitch will be higher on the reso when tuned to the same tension. So if you do want pitch differences, this can be achieved as well. I can't wait to see the results of this project.
Yeah, he's a really nice guy. I actually got the hardware for this project from two Page kits I bought from him a few years ago. They were great drums (Keller 6-ply). But on both kits, the floor tom was a 14" - I can never get a sound I like out of a 14" tom/floor tom (the one exception being a 14x14 Ludwig Element Birch floor tom I have) - So I bought them with the intention of ditching the shells. I remember playing a Page kit at NAMM one year that had either solid, or stave shells, and it sounded phenomenal.

I'm a fan of Sleishman Drums too. I've never actually picked one up though. I'm curious how heavy the lug/frame assembly is.

Edit: And that's true about the head thickness. Which makes sense why the Oriollo sounds very similar to my Orion. They both have Emperors over Ambassadors, with the Orion deliberately tuned with the reso higher, and the Oriollo with the reso naturally higher because of the head thickness. I really think this kind of tuning system (or Sleishman, Wac'd, etc.) is far more flexible than people realize. It's just more of a matter of head selection than it is a matter of "tuning".

Last edited:

cutaway79

Reaction score
<<<UPDATE>>>

I made a few modifications today...

1. Switched the old suspension mount for Gauger Alloy RIMS, and a Noble & Cooley CoolMount
2. Put an S-Hoop on the batter side
3. Put a Remo Starfire chrome head on the bottom

It sounds noticeably fuller now than with the old, clamped-on suspension mount. I may actually try some Gauger RIMS on my Orions, to see if it will have the same effect. I need to get some outside pics tomorrow in the daylight. But for now...

IMG_20190124_174044.jpeg

IMG_20190124_174147.jpeg

IMG_20190124_175039.jpeg

IMG_20190124_175048.jpeg

IMG_20190124_175113.jpeg

IMG_20190124_175126.jpeg

IMG_20190124_175147.jpeg

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
The RIMS visually blend very well with that drum. Me likey!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks awesome. Love the vibe. Having owned a 12” Oriollo tom tho, I would estimate that 2ply head is choking the sound a good bit. You may be surprised at how full and fat it sounds with a 1ply coated or a UV1 maybe or something like that. Wonderful drums for sure Vukan is the man