Oriollo Snares

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an aluminum snare, thinking Geo Way, Acro, Oriollo etc. I know some guys on here swear by Oriollo's and I have an opportunity to grab one for $400 shipped. Looking for feedback from guys that have them, as far as, tonal characteristics, tuning range etc.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely phenomenal snare.
I have a spun brass with maple wood hoops.
Tuning range is quite wide.
Mine is very warm.
If you can snag an Oriollo for 400 ... good grief. That’s an incredible price.

3EC71AD2-820D-45A8-86F4-AA8CC407C703.jpeg

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
somebody on reverb bought out the Sakae aluminum snares from Japan and are selling them at 250, new, in the box....I got 2.....

cheers and blessings, Trey

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely phenomenal snare.
I have a spun brass with maple wood hoops.
Tuning range is quite wide.
Mine is very warm.
If you can snag an Oriollo for 400 ... good grief. That’s an incredible price.

View attachment 403852

Ok, I'm looking for warmth, body and crack. I assume yours has all that? Some aluminums I've played are somewhat boxy sounding with not a lot of warmth.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say that the Oriollo Aluminum is on the soft end of the scale, if you're talking about crack.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Who built the fiberglass snare drums that everyone was ga-ga about a couple of years ago?
Price was phenominal - like $150, new.
Was it Crush? INDe? Ton of chatter for about a month.
I remember it like it was yesterday...

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say that the Oriollo Aluminum is on the soft end of the scale, if you're talking about crack.
+1

My 14X6.5 Phantom has warmth and body, but not much crack.
It has more tone, low ends and sustain than my Acrolite and my Supraphonic, but tone wise its a bit closer to the Acrolite.
The Phantom doesn't have the crispiness of a Supraphonic.

Oriollo has prominent overtones, you can still hear some dryness but its livelier than my other Aluminum snares.

Here it is.

Oriollo Phantom 14X6.5 Snare Drum

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking for warmth, body and crack. I assume yours has all that? Some aluminums I've played are somewhat boxy sounding with not a lot of warmth.

Mine is brass. I was giving you an idea of the brass drums he builds.
That would help guide you.
Warmth is the operative word.

Looking for feedback from guys that have them, as far as, tonal characteristics, tuning range etc.
I was responding to this.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an aluminum snare, thinking Geo Way, Acro, Oriollo etc. I know some guys on here swear by Oriollo's and I have an opportunity to grab one for $400 shipped. Looking for feedback from guys that have them, as far as, tonal characteristics, tuning range etc.
Are you talking about the Phantom on eBay right now? If so, $400 shipped is a nice deal for that. It has proprietary stainless steel lugs, the new badge, and Puresound wires.

Mine is one-of-a-kind. I had the shell media-blasted, and it looks really cool. I have minimalist lugs and strainer. The only "heavy" components are the Tama diecast hoops, but they are not even that heavy. I really like the combo of 8-lug design with diecast hoops. The cast hoops bring focus, while the fewer lugs give the drum a fatter sound.

phantom652small.jpg

If you want to get the full specs, and see a bunch of additional pics, you can click HERE!

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Oriollo aluminum snares and I love them. The blue one is the first one I bought and I still own it, It's by far my favorite. The pink one I bought back when he would do just the shell if you wanted. I had him make the shell, finish it and drill the holes then I just added the hardware when it arrived. The black one with the engraving I bought from a forum member. I prefer 8 lug snares and it had 10 so I sold it to a local drummer friend of mine. I just sold the pink one recently. I will never part with the blue one.

I have to say I agree with the statement that they are more on the warm side than they are the crack side. One thing to note is if they have the Oriollo Sonomaster snare wires on them those have extremely thin wires that really warm the sound up a lot. That may not be everyone's cup of tea. I put a set of Canopus snare wires on one of mine and it killed. As a bonus the Sonomaster wires really help warm up a snare that is too bright and thin sounding.

368.JPG
pinkphantom1.jpg
oriollo (2).jpg

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out INDe.

There's one on Reverb now that I was watching, I haven't heard these in person. At the drum show I played the Reso Armor stuff but not the aluminum [if there were any there?]. I like the INDe price point for sure. Then someone on here is selling a 6.5 Acro....decisions, decisions...

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1

My 14X6.5 Phantom has warmth and body, but not much crack.
It has more tone, low ends and sustain than my Acrolite and my Supraphonic, but tone wise its a bit closer to the Acrolite.
The Phantom doesn't have the crispiness of a Supraphonic.

Oriollo has prominent overtones, you can still hear some dryness but its livelier than my other Aluminum snares.

Here it is.

Oriollo Phantom 14X6.5 Snare Drum
Agreed. My Phantom (which I love) can be described just the same way. It's not as pretty as yours though.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who built the fiberglass snare drums that everyone was ga-ga about a couple of years ago?
Price was phenominal - like $150, new.
Was it Crush? INDe? Ton of chatter for about a month.
I remember it like it was yesterday...
Was it the company that Ming became?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
To me, my Oriollo’s are everything I’m looking for in a snare. Warmth, and for me enough crack if I need it. Again, this is only my opinion, Supras and any other aluminum snare are wayyy too bright for me. Always my go to in a snare.

Good price BTW.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? A brand new 6.5” Phantom ordered directly from Oriollo is only $479 (without any of the optional upgrades like the Sonomaster wires, etc.). And that’s including free shipping. So $409 plus shipping for a used one — or even $400 shipped, if that’s a price you’ve negotiated — is saving a bit, but not so much that I wouldn’t at least consider ordering directly from Vukan. That way you could pick the color and customize it however you wanted.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? A brand new 6.5” Phantom ordered directly from Oriollo is only $479 (without any of the optional upgrades like the Sonomaster wires, etc.). And that’s including free shipping. So $409 plus shipping for a used one — or even $400 shipped, if that’s a price you’ve negotiated — is saving a bit, but not so much that I wouldn’t at least consider ordering directly from Vukan. That way you could pick the color and customize it however you wanted.
Yeah, I've looked into pricing on the new and used Oriollo's. This one is a textured black and I'm not picky about finishes but I hear what you're saying. That's kinda why I haven't pulled trigger.

Latest posts