Oriollo vs Jenkins Martin vs Wood (let's say Tama Star or other high end)

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How pricey are they compared to other high end kits? As in what would a 5-piece kit cost more or less?
You're probably looking at $3000+ for a five piece J-M, depending on the sizes. I think I heard somewhere that they're not accepting new orders until they clear the backlog of older orders, but I don't know for certain if that's correct. My new rack tom has been in the works for many months. I'm not complaining, since I understand that they're a boutique operation whose popularity has really taken off, but it's something to bear in mind.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're probably looking at $3000+ for a five piece J-M, depending on the sizes. I think I heard somewhere that they're not accepting new orders until they clear the backlog of older orders, but I don't know for certain if that's correct. My new rack tom has been in the works for many months. I'm not complaining, since I understand that they're a boutique operation whose popularity has really taken off, but it's something to bear in mind.
I read that J-M would start taking new orders after the New Year.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s less than I would have thought but around the same price as an Oriollo kit. I thought the J-Ms were a lot more expensive.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of a 10/13/16 tom setup, regardless of BD size. It seems like such a smart way to get a super wide frequency range dialed in. I’ll have to try that out someday.
I am running 10,12,16 and a 24x15 bass drum for my JM kit and am so in love with the sizes. I don’t own a single wood drum right now and don’t miss it a bit. JM fiberglass kit, Tempus carbon fiber kit , snares are fiberglass, hammered brass, aluminum x2, and lastly a carbon fiber snare.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jenkins Martin for modern, projecting tones. They’re also pretty indestructible.

Oriollo if you’re not going to be too rough with your gear.

My vote for a modern wood kit would be Tama Star or Canopus RFM. These would be the warmest and most complex sounding, but also have the least projection of the choices.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
My vote for a modern wood kit would be Tama Star or Canopus RFM. These would be the warmest and most complex sounding, but also have the least projection of the choices.

The Star Maple sure project. No less, probably more than the JM. I was surprised since they have a very warm, vintage vibe but they surely project.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Star Maple sure project. No less, probably more than the JM. I was surprised since they have a very warm, vintage vibe but they surely project.

I felt like my Blaemire was way louder than any of my previous wood kits. Maybe the hoops help?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're one person at once on either or any of them. Do you think they'd change who you are or want to be?
NOt sure the drum would add to one's drum vocabulary..it's possible..to get extremely inspired by the 'feel' of a set..

but isn't that just Tension (of heads) and Dimensions?
There's no "famous" recordings readily common and available within a Song structure of either (3) so can't go there...

Think it would come down to Tension (of heads) and Dimensions.
(So pick the one that best catches the eye is the "best" for someone.

I can't see them changing one's drum vocabulary any more than the other
if you like wood you like wood
if you like metal you like metal
if you like fiberglass you like fiberglass

Then you do you on either/any of them
This man makes entirely too much sense.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaly's