OT: 34 years ago, this morning......

Nubs

Reaction score
I remember being in 4th grade and having our teacher wheel in the TV so we could watch the launch.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I still remember that morning. I had had my wisdom teeth pulled the day before, and had spent the night on codeine. I had been instructed to take a painkiller as soon as I woke up, due to 2 of the teeth being badly impacted. So I got up, took my Percodan, and sat down to the TV to watch the launch. When the Challenger exploded, I thought I was hallucinating (I think I took more then one Percodan), so I called my brother, who was at work, and he unfortunately told me that I had seen what I thought I saw.
Very sad.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was also in elementary school at the time. We did not watch it in class, but I remember some of the other teachers coming into our classroom crying and I didn't really know why. It was quite the national tragedy.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you are going to shoot your rocket make sure that your O rings can handle the pressure.
How 'bout maybe...

Accomplishing great things requires taking significant risks, and often comes with substantial costs.

Thanks to those at NASA that paid all, and to those that came before. and to those that went up on the next launch... and the one after that.... and the one after that.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any of us can die on our way to work. It just happened to these people on live tv. I know it’s sad, I understand the sacrifice. BUT, it’s gone to far, we won’t live on mars, the moon, maybe??? I can find better uses of our tax dollars, like refunding social security.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any of us can die on our way to work. It just happened to these people on live tv. I know it’s sad, I understand the sacrifice. BUT, it’s gone to far, we won’t live on mars, the moon, maybe??? I can find better uses of our tax dollars, like refunding social security.
Here's a quick rundown of some of the most common, every-day items that NASA technology and research is directly responsible for the development of.

In-ear thermometers
Ventricular assist device
LASIK
Cochlear implants
Artificial limbs
Invisible braces
Scratch-resistant lenses
Space blanket
3D foods printing
Aircraft anti-icing systems
Landmine removal
Fire-resistant reinforcement
Firefighting equipment
Shock absorbers for buildings
TEMPUR foam
Enriched baby food
Portable cordless vacuums
Freeze drying
LZR Racing Swimsuit
Air-scrubbers
Bowflex
Water purification
Solar Cell
Remotely controlled ovens
OpenStack
Powdered lubricants
Gold plating

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My older brother had Christa Mcauliffe as a teacher in high school. I didn't know her but as she was from my hometown it was quite the big deal here in Concord NH. We were all so excited for the future of space and it pretty much came to a grinding halt that day. I was in the 9th grade.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Remember it well...R.I.P. to the brave men & women who lost their lives on that tragic day.

tris66

Reaction score
How 'bout maybe...

Accomplishing great things requires taking significant risks, and often comes with substantial costs.

Thanks to those at NASA that paid all, and to those that came before. and to those that went up on the next launch... and the one after that.... and the one after that.
My point was intended to be simple and free of anything that would lead to political discussion. I'm not interested in that discussion. Restated:
Some engineers had pointed out that those O rings might not be up to the task. Somebody/s made the decision to launch. The O rings failed. Boom.
I took that lesson the same as mom telling you not to touch the hot pot on the stovetop. Assume your own lesson. I'm not interested in anything that would lead to a political discussion.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
As TheElectricCompanies post helps illustrate (and that list is far from complete), I think NASA past and present represenst the best return on investment than any tax payer could ever wish for.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
My point was intended to be simple and free of anything that would lead to political discussion. I'm not interested in that discussion. Restated:
Some engineers had pointed out that those O rings might not be up to the task. Somebody/s made the decision to launch. The O rings failed. Boom.
I took that lesson the same as mom telling you not to touch the hot pot on the stovetop. Assume your own lesson. I'm not interested in anything that would lead to a political discussion.
That's all fine and if that's how you see that event, that's fine too.

But it's also fine that I don't. I can't equate it with "Son. be careful with that hammer. If you drop it, you could hurt your foot." To me, it means more than that. For me, it is a reminder that there are still Americans that believe in pursuing big things... And again for me, it reminds me that NASA still continues to pursue those big projects, the spin-offs of which they have shared freely to our great benefit, allowing for products and services to be added to our GDP that outweighs their budget a thousand fold. And continue to do it in the face of an ever-more unappreciative America... a smaller minded, less inspired America than the America I grew up in.

Again - my opinion. But honestly... why it isn't every American's, I simply can't fathom/