OT - A small favor

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
In light of things going on around here lately I have an unusual request. My daughter has decided to collect rocks...not just any rocks, rocks from out of State. If anyone feels so inclined to pay a bit of postage and throw
( no pun intended ) a small one in the mail it would be appreciated by a little girl. They can be sent to my work place.
Security Lock Dist.
c/o Peter
2250 NW 15th Ave
Pompano Beach, FL 33069

If you decide to, just throw a note in. You don't need to respond here unless you want to.
Thanks

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i think thats a great idea. i collected rocks when i was young and really enjoyed it. i'll be glad to shoot one to her. we dont have a big mix of different rocks here on our property with the exception of what the wateree indians brought here many many years ago. we do have what we call paint rocks though. they can be broken and have a powder inside them. you can wet the powder and use it for a dye or to paint your face or whatever you desire.

what age is she if you dont mind me asking?

mike

Bongo Congo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that is so cool. First, that your daughter has a geological/scientific interest in the world around her, and second, that you care enough about encouraging her to post a request on here. I don't know which is more inspiring!

Does she want unusual rocks? Should people look for strange or unique ones?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I think that is so cool. First, that your daughter has a geological/scientific interest in the world around her, and second, that you care enough about encouraging her to post a request on here. I don't know which is more inspiring!

Does she want unusual rocks? Should people look for strange or unique ones?
She is a bright kid - as far as rocks go, since they are from places we don't know about I will leave that up to the sender. I already got a response from Johnny (wheresmyroadie?) and he's sending a flintknapp from
the Nevada Desert.

i think thats a great idea. i collected rocks when i was young and really enjoyed it. i'll be glad to shoot one to her. we dont have a big mix of different rocks here on our property with the exception of what the wateree indians brought here many many years ago. we do have what we call paint rocks though. they can be broken and have a powder inside them. you can wet the powder and use it for a dye or to paint your face or whatever you desire.

what age is she if you dont mind me asking?

mike
Thanks Mike - she is 12 and Bongo, she doesn't know I'm doing this. I thought it would be cool to wait for a few and them bring them home to her as a surprise. I did sort of hint that I might know a way though....

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm assuming you already have one from South Florida :icon_smile:
Plus, living down here, I'd be concerned of what comes in the mail if someone volunteers a "Rock" from Miami :blink:

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rocks, brilliant. Way easier to collect than old Ludwigs :smile:. You're daughter's one smart kid. Why didn't I think of that?! :unsure:

Rocks are the one thing we have plenty of here in Tennessee. There's some great specimens in my yard. I'll box 'em up and get them on their way!

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
If there's any interesting rocks in N. Georgia, I'll send one.. I know nothing about rocks except that a lot of people around here seem to have their heads full of them.

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll send a naturally polished river rock from the Tennessee Valley. We have the smoothest river rocks because of all the Mtn streams. It maybe next payday before I can get to the postoffice. tell your Daughter...Happy rock hunting! Mine started with a fossil and some volcanic glass I found on a railroad track 40 years ago.

I found out that lots of items were typically dumped from trains that used coal. Anything found mixed in with the coal was tossed off the train and left by the wayside. that was when coal trains were still being used....but, sometimes if you look hard enough you can still find volcanic glass and pumice along older railroad tracks. :smile:

veggie

Reaction score
I told my kids that rocks were the best pets you could ever have.You don't have to feed,water,bath them and they don't make a mess and I would prove it to them.So I told them to find some and we put names on them and dates and there still in the garage on a shelf.that was 2-3 years ago.Lol...

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I told my kids that rocks were the best pets you could ever have.You don't have to feed,water,bath them and they don't make a mess and I would prove it to them.So I told them to find some and we put names on them and dates and there still in the garage on a shelf.that was 2-3 years ago.Lol...
Pet Rocks were big in the 70's - anyone remember these??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Pete, I'm in Pennsylvania... rock country! There is a place not too far from here called, Ringing Rocks State Park. It is the only known place where these rocks exist that have the peculiar property of sounding a clear note when struck. They make a sound like a bell under water! I've been itching to get back up there. Look for a 'ringing rock' in the mail. I'll pm you when I ship. I'll hunt for a small one she can tap with a hammer.

http://www.davidhana...y/ringingrocks/

Cool project!

John

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Found a chunk of Texas granite that I picked up a few years ago, kinda neat looking. I'll get it in the mail in the next few days.