OT actors in movies that could never be played by anyone else

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my favorite movies of all time, and such a great scene. I agree that no one could really deliver that scene Shaw did. He was actually drunk on the set when they filmed the scene, for the sake of realism.
He was drunk because he was an alcoholic. He and Drefuss nearly went to blows several times, and Drefuss hated working with Shaw whom he considered a drunk and very unprofessional. Drefuss had just come off The Goodbye Girl and was quite full of himself.

My list would include (other then ones previously mentioned):

Hackman - The Royal Tennenbaums (Wes wrote the film for him) and The French Connection
Donald Sutherland - Eye of the Needle
Harrison Ford - Han Solo
James Caan - Thief
Meryl Streep and Redford - Out of Africa
Neuman/Redford - Butch Casidy
Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales
The entire cast (Wayne, Steward, Marvin, Miles) - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Burt, Sally, Jerry Reed, Gleason - Smokey and the Bandit (only the first one is worth mentioning)
McQueen - Bullit
Eastwood - all the Dirty Harry movies
Julia Roberts - Pretty Woman
The entire cast of Leon, The Professional

I appear to have a long list....LOL

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Malcolm McDowell - Alex, A Clockwork Orange.
R. Lee Ermey - Gunny SGT Hartman, Full Metal Jacket.
Vincent Donofrio - Gomer Pyle, Full Metal Jacket.
Ray Stevenson - The Punisher.
Vinnie Jones - Big Chris, Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels.
Humphrey Bogart - Captain Queeq, The Caine Mutiny.
Michael Caine - Harry Palmer, every Harry Palmer movie.
Forrest Whittaker - Ghost Dog, Ghost Dog, The Way Of The Samurai.
Louise Fletcher - Nurse Racthett, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
Toshiro MiFume - Sanjuro Kuwabatake, Yojimbo. (take that Clint Eastwood!)
Eli Wallach - Tuco, The Good The Bad The Ugly.
Toby McGuire - Peter Parker, Spiderman series (every reboot sucked since)
Heath Ledger - The Joker, Batman, The Dark Knight.

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes and the list goes on. I've heard and read stories about actors and actresses that were originally asked to do a part but turned it down. Then I would think, I'm glad they did, I felt it would have been a different movie and feel it wouldn't have been as good as it turned out to be. And maybe that's why they turned it down to begin with. Not that they turned it down because it was beneath them but just knew, being a professional, it wouldn't have worked well.

sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, she was very sexy. Yvonne DeCarlo.

Fred Gwynne (also the Judge in formerly mentioned My Cousin Vinny) was Herman Munster.

And speaking of hot, sexy and Vinny -- Marisa Tomei as Ms. Monalisa Vito in My Cousin Vinny.

I have to watch that movie EVERY TIME IT SHOWS ON TV. LOL

sherm

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
No such thing IMO - just like re-casting players in bands. Of course, it will end up being different. But that doesn't mean it might not have turned out better... or not. It just wouldn't be exactly the same...

For example - Pacino as Michael Corleone - about as iconic as it gets. Yet Jack Nicholson was up for that role - this was '72, so we're talking Jack before Last Detail, before Chinatown....so clearly it would've been different... but by no means can I imagine it would've sucked. Just the opposite... but it would've been different.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Don't mean to start a Bond war, but...as much as I like Sean Connery... Bond is Moore. (Or Dalton - I thought they should cast him in that role when he was still Remington Steele. But I've actually never seen him as Bond.) Connery was too old for Bond - especially in the later ones.