OT actors in movies that could never be played by anyone else

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From two of my favorite movies...

Max Von Sydow as Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon (turns 40 in December)
(l'13'' LOL)

The In-Laws:
Peter Falk as Vincent Ricardo
Alan Arkin as Sheldon Kornpett

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are flames on my car. Their are flames on my car!

Great movie.
Senor Pepe, would you like to give this man a kiss? Oh, siiiiii, si, si.

Can't believe I didn't think of this one right off the bat...
Ricardo Montalban -- Khan in Star Trek II
(He startes at 3'17'' in the first clip)

Sticking with genre films --
Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty in Blade Runner
(I tried using these scenes (edited for violence) in my ILA class last year, but was forbidden because the movie was rated R. I had a whole unit planned based on Shelly's Frankenstein novel, then the James Whale film and then this. Had to bag the whole thing. Still angers me.)

Ian McKellen in Peter Jackson's J.R.R. Tolkein Films
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
My son was playing a video game the other day where he was running from someone trying to shoot him. I told him. Serpentine! Serpentine! He didn't understand the reference but said it did make sense.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't mean to start a Bond war, but...as much as I like Sean Connery... Bond is Moore. (Or Dalton - I thought they should cast him in that role when he was still Remington Steele. But I've actually never seen him as Bond.) Connery was too old for Bond - especially in the later ones.
I think Bond is the perfect foil for the notion of "(a role that) can't ever be played by anyone else.

Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Craig, even Dalton and Lasbury - all brought different takes to the same role. We each individually prefer or like one over another but that doesn't change the fact that they all worked... and actually pretty well.

For me, to say there can only be (or ever could've been) one Bond, one Captain Kirk, one Han Solo, one Godfather like saying there can only be one Hamlet, one Macbeth.... it kind of dismisses the whole premise of acting.

Saying that I'm intending to belittle the importance of great casting (pairing an actor to a role) can have on making a great movie. I'm just in the camp that believes that just as any great play can support many different productions.... so great script is likely able to be made into more than one great movies... each spawned from the same source material, but ultimately quite different in their execution.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has mentioned him as Forrest Gump, but Tom hanks. He's one of the greats in the last 30 years.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paul Newman and George Kennedy in “Cool Hand Luke”.

Burl Ives as “Big Daddy” in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”.

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
So...yea...anyone can be “replaced”...in an absolute sense. So we just move a few words around and we get this:

In your opinion, name movie roles you think were played the best they could ever be played by the person who played them...in YOUR opinion...

(Notice the double use of “opinion”, which in the interwebs means NO ONE can overrulle you or question your response, thereby ruining the point and purpose of an otherwise fun and harmless thread).

With that ‘crapola’ out of the way....I don’t think these were mentioned...

Paul Newman and George Kennedy in “Cool Hand Luke”.

Burl Ives as “Big Daddy” in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”.
My word, you're so sensitive.

No one's been over-ruled - and the only reason why one (or more - I wasn't the only one to post about Bond) person's opinion could "ruin" a thread is by folks being so thin skinned they can't begin to handle their "fun and harmless" thread be anything other than what They specifically think it should be.

Sheesh!

That's said (meaning I can post what I want, just like you can Mongrel, right???) - did anyone else read that there was an early-on serious consideration to make The Matrix as a vehicle for Sandra Bullock in the role of Neo???

Anyway... back to listing any performance we've ever liked in a movie.... :cool:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My word, you're so sensitive.

No one's been over-ruled - and the only reason why one (or more - I wasn't the only one to post about Bond) person's opinion could "ruin" a thread is by folks being so thin skinned they can't begin to handle their "fun and harmless" thread be anything other than what They specifically think it should be.

Sheesh!

That's said (meaning I can post what I want, just like you can Mongrel, right???) - did anyone else read that there was an early-on serious consideration to make The Matrix as a vehicle for Sandra Bullock in the role of Neo???

Anyway... back to listing any performance we've ever liked in a movie.... :cool:
Sensitive! Moi?

maybe I should have filled thepost with unicorns and smileys?

that whole paragraph was a bust David...

guess I need To edit it down...Lol

all the best

Oh-oh....Just re-read my post....yikes...what a positively stupid comment *without* the “lols” (I botched a cut and past apparently...).

I DID neglect to add any clarifying indications of sarcasm.... And you are right to call me out on It.

correcto-mondo All of the aforementioned opinions are valid-including “no one is irreplaceable” and there really is no definitive “Bond”....

Back to the doghouse for another month or two...

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
maybe I should have filled thepost with unicorns and smileys?
I just don't see why there was the need to do a bust at all.

If don't like the direction I take in a thread - then address the topic or ignore it.

But to just outright dismiss it as "crappola"? What is that about? Thus again... sheesh.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just don't see why there was the need to do a bust at all.

If don't like the direction I take in a thread - then address the topic or ignore it.

But to just outright dismiss it as "crappola"? What is that about? Thus again... sheesh.
Really?

I confess my sins...give you the “win”....

and you come back with THIS?

wow...just wow...

lol

Take care man....and again “all the best”.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really?

I confess my sins...give you the “win”....

and you come back with THIS?

wow...just wow...

lol

Take care man....and again “all the best”.
Sorry if I misconstrued your confession - but with your previous attack that was supposedly sarcasm. Followed by your rambling confession - not an apology - as you made it clear with "I DID neglect to add any clarifying indications of sarcasm.... And you are right to call me out on It." that nothing approaching an apology was coming.

So sorry - I couldn't tell if you were still be sarcastic - "maybe I should have filled the post with unicorns and smileys?" sure pointed to that possibility. But then again, I didn't see the "sarcasm" in the first post - just the reference to my contributions in this thread as "crappola".

Maybe until we get a sarcasm font, we can realize that without one, sarcasm rarely, if ever, works in this format.

But OK - thanks.

Moving on - take care, and stay safe - David