OT actors in movies that could never be played by anyone else

Joe61

Reaction score
Jack Nicholson
Col Nathan R. Jessep
A Few Good Men

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Ok, this might be stretching it, as she's really a ballerina, but her performance in this movie is legenday, so I'm going to count it.....

Nini Theilade - Fairy from A Midsummer Night's Dream

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Bond is the perfect foil for the notion of "(a role that) can't ever be played by anyone else.

Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Craig, even Dalton and Lasbury - all brought different takes to the same role. We each individually prefer or like one over another but that doesn't change the fact that they all worked... and actually pretty well.

For me, to say there can only be (or ever could've been) one Bond, one Captain Kirk, one Han Solo, one Godfather like saying there can only be one Hamlet, one Macbeth.... it kind of dismisses the whole premise of acting.

Saying that I'm intending to belittle the importance of great casting (pairing an actor to a role) can have on making a great movie. I'm just in the camp that believes that just as any great play can support many different productions.... so great script is likely able to be made into more than one great movies... each spawned from the same source material, but ultimately quite different in their execution.
I read all the books, in order. Craig comes closest to the actual emotional, addicted, and violent mess that James Bond really is in the books. He was not a "good guy" and not "cheeky" like Moore played him.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Hong, also has the most credits of any actor, dead or alive.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Hello? Debbie? Yeah, Debbie's here, who's this? Well, Ralph, uh, Debbie can't talk right now, my d*^k's in her mouth. How about if I have her call you back later when I'm done? "

"I love wrong numbers"

I never laughed so hard.
That was the exact line I was going to quote!!! hahaha. So funny.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I read all the books, in order. Craig comes closest to the actual emotional, addicted, and violent mess that James Bond really is in the books. He was not a "good guy" and not "cheeky" like Moore played him.
Bond , with his preferences for fast women , fine cocktails and fancy cars would have been considered as the perfect candidate for turning by the opposition .

At the time of our hero's cinematic debut, the British Intelligence services had been thoroughly compromised , turned inside out as they say .

Some believe the Bond series was produced and directed from Lubyanka . Who knows ?

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to start a Bond war, but...as much as I like Sean Connery... Bond is Moore. (Or Dalton - I thought they should cast him in that role when he was still Remington Steele. But I've actually never seen him as Bond.) Connery was too old for Bond - especially in the later ones.
Roger Moore was older than Sean Connery.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't disagree with that assessment at all. And though I much prefer Craig over Moore, I'm just more in the camp that doesn't put much stake in things like... the movie is best if it follows book. Coming more from the movie is it's best when it just really good. Much like a cover song.

Which is not to say ignoring the source material is not something to do on a whim. Look at all of the horrible super-hero movies of the past, where the filmmakers ignored the source out of hand. Like making a 3 Musketeers movie without reading Dumas or viewing the wealth of previous movies. Fairly ludicrous.

Anyway - yeah, Craig over Moore for me.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
And Brosnan was screwed with the Remington Steele thing.

The network had cancelled Remington Steele.

Then Brosnan landed the Bond part

So the studio "OMG how cool will it be to have the new Bond tied to our TV show?"

So they re-upped for another season of Remington Steele - which Brosnan was contractually obligated to do.

Resulting in him NOT being available to make the Bond movie.

And then network canceled Remington Steele the next year instead - leaving Brosnan in the lurch.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Robin Williams in good morning Vietnam
Hugh Jackman in the greatest showman
Steve buscemi in boardwalk empire
James Gandolfini in the Sopranos

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yep. You missed "OT" on the topic title. Sarcasm returned

Monday317

Reaction score
Boris Karloff—any.

Stephen Strimpell—Mr. Terrific

Bob Keeshan—Captain Kangaroo
Larry “Lumpy” (not really Frank Zappa’s father) Brannon—Mr. Green Jeans

George Reeves—Superman (TV, anyway...)

Moses Horvitz, Samuel Horvitz, Jerome Horvitz and Louis Feinberg—The Three Stooges

Carolyn Jones—The Addams Family