OT American or Irish

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haha, enjoyed that.
Did a tour of the Jameson distillery in Cork earlier in the year and we had a tasting of a few types at the end of the tour including comparisons between American, Irish and Scotch flavors.
Hard not to be biased but my favorite was Jameson on the day. My Polish friend has a fantastic collection of whiskeys and has spend thousands of euro over the years putting it together. I always like to visit him when in Poland :)

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll take a $50 bottle of scotch over a $100 bottle of bourbon or Irish whiskey any day. Just my preference, I guess.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. Irish vs Kentucky whiskey, there's no comparison but I like both. As far as Texas whiskey.....well I wouldn't go to Kentucky expecting good Tacos so I think Texas should leave the whiskey making to Kentucky. Drinking a nice Redemption Rye right now. My wife is stuck on Jameson though, that's the only whiskey she drinks.

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We usually have a bottle of Jameson around since my girlfriend likes to drink it. I'll drink it on the rocks from time to time and it's great. Elijah Craig has been my go to over the last year or so.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. Irish vs Kentucky whiskey, there's no comparison but I like both. As far as Texas whiskey.....well I wouldn't go to Kentucky expecting good Tacos so I think Texas should leave the whiskey making to Kentucky. Drinking a nice Redemption Rye right now. My wife is stuck on Jameson though, that's the only whiskey she drinks.
In the video, some Irish had a bit of some difficulty deciding which was which. Thought that was funny!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I love American bourbons and ryes, but this is different.

Irish Whiskey is a very pretty drink. To other whiskeys, this stuff is rainwater on a flowering meadow. Delicate, certainly smooth, and very delicious.

Green Spot for special occasions. Redbreast 15 for moments of a lifetime.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried a lot of the Irish whiskey's, but I always come back to Jameson. It just has a nice flavor with just enough bite and it goes down nicely. I find it easy to drink, maybe to easy!

I'm surprised some of those guys in the vid had such a hard time figuring out the Americans from the Irish. Maybe the Americans have come a long way.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like Jameson, but I think that I like Tullamore Dew more.

There are several bourbons that I like, Blanton's, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark...

Several of you mention your preference for scotch whiskey. I've really tried to like scotch, I've tried some of the highest rated scotches out there. I just cant warm up to it.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$11 bottle of Kentucky ET and I'm good.

I try the other stuff mentioned when I'm out and about but at the end of the day I like what I like and it doesn't have to be a fashion statement.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll split a bottle of Powers with my grandfather or uncles a few times a year but definitely prefer Old Grandad’s