OT American or Irish

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely drink hard liquor, but I am a fan of these Irish People Try videos, and a fan of Ciara O'Doherty.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$11 bottle of Kentucky ET and I'm good.

I try the other stuff mentioned when I'm out and about but at the end of the day I like what I like and it doesn't have to be a fashion statement.
I can do that to. I keep a bottle or two of Old Crow bourbon around, about the same price...for a 1.5 ltr! Plastic bottle of course!!!

It's made by Jim Beam these days, but not aged as long, if at all! :p

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can do that to. I keep a bottle or two of Old Crow bourbon around, about the same price...for a 1.5 ltr! Plastic bottle of course!!!

It's made by Jim Beam these days, but not aged as long, if at all! :p
I've tried Crow, wasn't crazy about it (or JB for that matter), not enough "whiskey face" taste for me.

I like the sharp taste of bourbon. JD is one I like because it's harsh but a bit overpriced because of it's brand.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like Jameson, but I think that I like Tullamore Dew more.

There are several bourbons that I like, Blanton's, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark...

Several of you mention your preference for scotch whiskey. I've really tried to like scotch, I've tried some of the highest rated scotches out there. I just cant warm up to it.
Different Scotches are really all over the place. The Macallan 12 is at the center of the venn diagram of what pretty much every type of Scotch drinker can dig (e.g. I'm an Islay peat attack guy, but I think Mac 12's great), so if you try that and still don't like it, then you can safely skip the rest.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Different Scotches are really all over the place. The Macallan 12 is at the center of the venn diagram of what pretty much every type of Scotch drinker can dig (e.g. I'm an Islay peat attack guy, but I think Mac 12's great), so if you try that and still don't like it, then you can safely skip the rest.
I have yet to try Macallan 12, or any Macallan scotch. I had a job in which at Christmas my office would get filled with gifts of liquor, some of which were high end. I gave a LOT of it away. It is likely that I still have a 100 bottles of unopened liquor.

Just for grins I just pulled a few bottles of scotch out of our main liquor cabinet. Five of the bottles were open, the rest were not. Note the coating of dust.

1634191875729.png

I

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have yet to try Macallan 12, or any Macallan scotch. I had a job in which at Christmas my office would get filled with gifts of liquor, some of which were high end. I gave a LOT of it away. It is likely that I still have a 100 bottles of unopened liquor.

Just for grins I just pulled a few bottles of scotch out of our main liquor cabinet. Five of the bottles were open, the rest were not. Note the coating of dust.

View attachment 522927

I

You've got some decent stuff there! I like the Glenfiddich and the Black Label.

FlowTom

Reaction score
I first encountered Jameson when I was taught to make Irish coffee.
We'd put some Jameson in the snifter, light it on fire and swirl it around to warm up the glass.
Then in went the rest of the ingredients. With a sugar frosted rim done beforehand.

My brother in law likes Scotch Whiskey of venerable Scottish origin. I've tasted some of it.
To my palate, the more you spend on the stuff, the closer you get to the essence of peat bog.
But I've always had a fondness for the story behind the Allan Holdsworth record The Sixteen Men of Tain.

I once needed to use bourbon in a few cooking recipes so I began looking into affordable bourbons.
I was thrilled to find out that there are some great values out there. No need to spend tons on it.
I like Evan Williams Black Label Single Barrel bourbon. It's not always available and it does vary from batch to batch.
But if you've ever been a woodworker, sipping it is like ripping a bunch of white oak on the table saw.
I can't remember being able to definitively taste a species of barrel wood to that degree in other types of whiskey.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 522927

I
My first experience with scotch was bad, No idea what it was- only knew "neat"- I avoided it for 40+ years. Finally tried some single malt aged Scotch... LOVED it. still not a blended fan.. try a shot with an ice cube- 1 ice cube. sip... most say it is an acquired taste- a few folks take to it immediately! If you like DRY red wine- you my have a latent affinity for single malt scotch.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
A little over a year ago I started picking up Irish whiskeys, starting with the cheapest available at the closest store. I've gone through 7-8 of the 750ml bottles, with a few smaller sample bottles. I think the only one I disliked was Proper 12, and then there were a few that are "meh", and a few that were good. I'll probably start picking up the $60-80 bottles next, although it's been a few months since I've had anything at all aside from a few beers. Just haven't wanted to drink at all.

I do like bourbons, and I'm more familiar with them, which is why I've only been having Irish stuff lately. I've still haven't gotten into scotch, but apparently it's a thing to either like bourbon or scotch, not both.

gra7

Reaction score
Ah, an off topic I am somewhat of an authority on as I am involved in whiskey tasting and rating events - but please take my comments as opinions only as everyone has different tastes.

Best Irish Whiskey for my tastes are from Spot Whiskey: Green Spot, Green Spot Leoville Barton and Yellow Spot: https://www.spotwhiskey.com/en/the-whiskeys

Best Mixer Irish: Tullamore D.E.W and mix with soda
Best Value Irish: Bushmills Black Bush

Other Irish Whiskey I really liked:
Glendalough 13
Powers: Gold Label and John Lane
Red Breast: 12 year, 12 year Cask Strength, Lustau Edition
Writer's Tears Copper Pot

Best American Whiskey for my tastes is Elijah Craig Small Batch - however, I am not pleased to hear the allogations of how their older and longer term staff have been treated so I will also recommend Russell's Reserve Single Barrel with a clearer conscious

Best Mixer American: Maker's Mark
Best Value American:
Wild Turkey 101

Other American Whiskey I really liked:
Old Forester: Signature 100 Proof, Statesmen, 1920 Prohibition Style, Birthday Bourbon
Wild Turkey: Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit
Buffalo Trace: Standard Buffallo Trace, William Larue Weller
Eagle Rare: 10 year and 17 year
Maker's Mark: Maker's 46, Maker's Cask Strength and Private Select

If anyone found this at all useful, I am happy to also mention my opinions on Scotch and World Whisky

JBludwig

Reaction score
I too enjoy a nice whiskey on the rocks at the end of the day. I like Irish and American whiskers, no discrimination here. I was bouncing between Jameson, Bushmills, Crown Royal and Maker’s Mark for a while. Then I bumped it up to the darker aged whiskeys. Jameson Black, Maker’s black, Crown black are very nice! I’m working on a bottle of Jim Beam black now. Cheers!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like both Irish and American, like Bushmill and Bulleit etc.
But being a big fan of Captain Haddock I have bought Loch Lomond recently (a couple of years back) and that's a great one.