OT: Analysis of RUSH

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
her birth date is March 19, 1986.
not that I'd look that up or anything...
Going to send her a birthday card?

:p

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, a lot of you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

News flash, some reaction videos are great, and some are hollow wastes of time. This particular one was fun and good spirited. She isn't claiming to know everything, but she seems sincerely interested in and impressed by something new to her that a lot of us have known longer than she's been alive.

I'll take her good vibes over petty sniping.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jeez, a lot of you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

News flash, some reaction videos are great, and some are hollow wastes of time. This particular one was fun and good spirited. She isn't claiming to know everything, but she seems sincerely interested in and impressed by something new to her that a lot of us have known longer than she's been alive.

I'll take her good vibes over petty sniping.
Crush?

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that reaction videos, in general, are pretty low hanging fruit, insofar as anyone can film one and there’s a built in audience of people waiting to have their tastes validated. They must scratch the same itch as turning a friend onto something you like, but done vicariously over the Internet. I frankly prefer videos that break down and analyze something to reactions, but you can still learn something from a reaction.

For example, there’s a YouTuber who specializes in analyzing Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor. She’s an unabashed fan, but her insights and music theory expertise have helped me get a much better understanding of the music.

On the other end of the spectrum are people with no particular knowledge, expertise, or interesting viewpoint offering vapid analysis along the lines of “wow, how cool” and “how’d they do that?”

This particular video is much closer to the former.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fake or not, reaction videos are one of the dumbest things about the internet (and that's really saying something). Why do people care about them? I wish there were some sort of reaction vid filter plugin for browsers.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so I saw the whole video. I don't know why. The first time she stops the video I was ready to hang up. But I gave her the benefit of the doubt....

I love Rush. I love Geddy. I'm not a singer. I don't care for lyrics but Neil's lyrics are amazing.

Some of the stuff she talks about with regard to Geddy I can understand. He's not some crazy in your face screaming singer. His tone and his range may be limited, but the guy is playing insane bass and keys as well. Interesting comparison to Iron Maiden's singer. I don't hear that. I'm pretty impressed that she's counting under her breath as the song is being heard for the "first time." She's killing me by stopping at the best parts, though!

I don't think I've ever seen the Rush video. It is great to see throwbacks to Jim Ladd and B.C. I grew up listening to both of them on the local LA radio stations back in the day.

Best quotes: "I just want to dance and do hand puppets...."

"Maaaaan, the drumming in here is so, so smooth....."

"This must be Alex Lif-ah-son....Leaf-son?"

" I have a desire to make all of these guitar sounds with my voice".....

"That's a good riff......ohhhhh...."

Ironically, I found myself listening to her video, pausing it and putting my thoughts to paper. I think when all is said and done, she should spark a fat one and I think she would be a lot of fun at a Rush concert! The faces she was making were priceless!

I will actually check out another one of her videos......... I think her next song should be YYZ!

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so I saw the whole video. I don't know why. The first time she stops the video I was ready to hang up. But I gave her the benefit of the doubt....

I love Rush. I love Geddy. I'm not a singer. I don't care for lyrics but Neil's lyrics are amazing.

Some of the stuff she talks about with regard to Geddy I can understand. He's not some crazy in your face screaming singer. His tone and his range may be limited, but the guy is playing insane bass and keys as well. Interesting comparison to Iron Maiden's singer. I don't hear that. I'm pretty impressed that she's counting under her breath as the song is being heard for the "first time." She's killing me by stopping at the best parts, though!

I don't think I've ever seen the Rush video. It is great to see throwbacks to Jim Ladd and B.C. I grew up listening to both of them on the local LA radio stations back in the day.

Best quotes: "I just want to dance and do hand puppets...."

"Maaaaan, the drumming in here is so, so smooth....."

"This must be Alex Lif-ah-son....Leaf-son?"

" I have a desire to make all of these guitar sounds with my voice".....

"That's a good riff......ohhhhh...."

Ironically, I found myself listening to her video, pausing it and putting my thoughts to paper. I think when all is said and done, she should spark a fat one and I think she would be a lot of fun at a Rush concert! The faces she was making were priceless!

I will actually check out another one of her videos......... I think her next song should be YYZ!
“Spark a fat one”. Very nice.

As for her being a vocal coach doing a reaction video for YYZ, I applaud your foresight and creativity. Well played.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Spark a fat one”. Very nice.

As for her being a vocal coach doing a reaction video for YYZ, I applaud your foresight and creativity. Well played.
There's many places I could have taken that, including pizza toppings and pool supplies, and suggest she take an excursion down the red (barchetta) brick road to the Land of 2112! Xanadu, La Villa, etc.....

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
her birth date is March 19, 1986.
not that I'd look that up or anything...
Younger than my youngest son, who hates Rush by the way.

Kids, what do they know? :D

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
160292802-pleasewaitsarcastic_large.jpg

Gee, I wonder if people like the music I like. Maybe I'm wrong and have been enjoying the wrong music. I had better search to see what others think of the music I like. After all, a stranger's opinion is way more valid than mine if it is on the Internet.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
160292802-pleasewaitsarcastic_large.jpg

Gee, I wonder if people like the music I like. Maybe I'm wrong and have been enjoying the wrong music. I had better search to see what others think of the music I like. After all, a stranger's opinion is way more valid than mine if it is on the Internet.
She's not offering her opinion.

Maybe you should offer up your opinion. I'd love to hear what you have to say about a variety of songs.