OT: Animals As Leaders

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is another prog metal band that my brother recently told me about.

I picked up a couple CD's from our public library, and man, I love 'em. I'm surprised they're not bigger than they are.

I absolutely love prog metal, and these guys are good at it!

Any other fans of Animals As Leaders?

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing them live in a small 300 cap. club I worked at. Phenomenal band and musicianship, Matt Garstka is an absolute monster. His kit was easily one of the best sounding ever to come through the club [he has his own mics and FOH guy with his own gear], got a chance to chat with him briefly at load out, very nice guy and completely down to earth.

Freewill3

Reaction score
I discovered Animals As Leaders/Matt Garska via Youtube, those guys are some serious players. As a fan of prog, good to see these guys carrying the torch! I also recommend Icefish, which features Virgil Donati on drums, some really cool stuff to check out.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yup, agree about AAL. Garstka makes me want to quit.

Trommeslager

Reaction score
I saw them in a club in Bratislava, maybe 5 years ago. I loved watching these masterful musicians ripping thousand of notes a minute, but it's a bit much for me to take in while I'm walking around with headphones or driving to the store. Also hard not to move head, arms and legs in time to incredible drumming ... then be like, 'Whoa, that's unexpected..."

Last edited:

Trommeslager

Reaction score
To me, noodly-doodly is Joe Satriani/Steve Vai playing thousands of notes a second, running up and down fretboard... I'd also call a band like Yes noodly-doodly and Rush also sometimes, especially in 80s. If you mimic fast guitar with your mouth, you will say "doodly-doodly" at some point.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
To me, noodly-doodly is Joe Satriani/Steve Vai playing thousands of notes a second, running up and down fretboard... I'd also call a band like Yes noodly-doodly and Rush also sometimes, especially in 80s. If you mimic fast guitar with your mouth, you will say "doodly-doodly" at some point.
Hahaha....you just listed some of my most favorite players/bands.

Well, I suppose noodly-doodly isn't for everyone.

dale w miller

Reaction score
Hahaha....you just listed some of my most favorite players/bands.

Well, I suppose noodly-doodly isn't for everyone.
I look at a lot of these guys as I do great athletes. I am impressed, but I would rather watch Michael Phelps for speed and Mike Trout for technical ability.

These musicians make my jaw drop, but after a few minutes I usually get bored.

dale w miller

Reaction score
Reminds me of this classic.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish prog didn't have to have so much keyboard in it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I met the drummer at Bentleys a few years back - I had never heard of him or the band. He was a young little guy and was getting ready to do a clinic.
I saw him warm up and I didn't think he was an amazing drummer. I remember a bunch of Meinl cymbals and a big Mapex kit.
I don't know anything about him or the band but I tried to listen to a few songs afterwards and they didn't do anything for me.

I'd like to be directed to a song/album that showcases his abilities......

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, but it seems to me like just a chord based meandering arpeggio that never ends. No melody or structure that builds and releases or tells a musical story. A showcase for playing as athletics.
It certainly has its place... just not my cup o' tea for more than a minute or two at this point in my life.
Now when I was in my 20's and early 30's it was a different story to a degree. I worshiped Mahavishnu Orchestra but those tunes had some plot structure and drama. A ton of prideful NPS but it wasn't all 16th or 32nd notes in a constant stream.

Latest posts