OT- any reviews on Midway (the movie)

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw it last weekend and liked it quite a bit. It's not sappy like Pearl Harbor. They had to have some human elements, but it wasn't melodramatic. They focused on the events leading up to The Battle of Midway, and on the battle itself. There was a lot of action, but it wasn't all battle footage - there were elements of underlying strategy that made it very entertaining.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw it last weekend. They did insert a bit of Husbands and wives drama but overall they stick to the military stuff and didn't try to cram a love story into the mix. You got Pearl harbor and the Doolittle raid on Tokyo thrown in for background too.

Most of the battle stuff must have been CGI but it was so well done. Actually looked more realistic than the 70's Midway (or Tora Tora Tora) where they used actual planes and ships.

I really liked it, just wish my dad was still around (he passed away this past March) so we could have gone together, we always enjoyed war movies. I saw Ford V. Ferrari this past weeked, Another great flick he would have enjoyed.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Rotten 42% Critics Score and 92% Audience Score on Rottentomatos.com will keep me from seeing it.
However, if I was a WWII enthusiast, I’d see it on the big screen rather than on a 50 times smaller monitor

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you really want a good account of the great war, Greatest events of WWII in colour on Netflix is a very good watch. Just finished the 10 part series.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
If you really want a good account of the great war, Greatest events of WWII in colour on Netflix is a very good watch. Just finished the 10 part series.
Pacific? Great series but extremely hard for me to watch. It was that brutal.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima was thought provoking and stark but I intuitively feel this film sits more in the entertainment category .

I plan to take advantage of half price tuesday and spend the afternoon in front of the big screen with a bucket of popcorn .

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rotten 42% Critics Score and 92% Audience Score on Rottentomatos.com will keep me from seeing it.
However, if I was a WWII enthusiast, I’d see it on the big screen rather than on a 50 times smaller monitor
Lol....

That would be great incentive for me to see it....lol.

Almost guaranteed that with that ratio of critics to audience score it is a GREAT film.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think if this is a topic that interests you you'll like the movie and the CGI is pretty spectacular on the big screen. I'm an avid reader of wwII history, particularly aviation, and have been all my life. If you're just looking for a popcorn movie then it will probably be a bit less enjoyable. At the end they showed photos of some of the real people who were portrayed in the film and I choked up a bit thinking of their sacrifices.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lol....

That would be great incentive for me to see it....lol.

Almost guaranteed that with that ratio of critics to audience score it is a GREAT film.
Agreed. Many of the modern day reviewers would probably find real war movies too scary.
Bet? I ain't made no bet. I don't need no bet. I don't have to make no stinkin' bet!

(Is that really the best you could come up with V-man?)

Lol....
I know I have watched a lot of duds, that Rotten Tomatoes rated highly. It really is a crap shoot.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen it but a relative who enjoys the war/historical flicks did and a "thumbs up!"

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am an enthusiast because my dad was in the ww II. I will see it. I heard reviewers that I trust say the people acting stuff wasnt as good as the combat stuff. But it was good overall. I saw the 70's version when it was new

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is too much unnecessary death in most wars. Just glad I got to miss them all.
I served during Viet Nam but was never in combat. As a hospital-based medic, though, I got to see and deal with the incredible vets who did the dirty work. No person in his/her right mind regards war as a good part of human existence. But, as the saying goes, "Freedom Is Not Free." And I have a never-ending, deep, profound appreciation for those who paid the price for our freedom. I pray that the vet is never again taken for granted.

GeeDeeEmm