OT: Any Santa Fe peeps here? Looking for suggestions on active things to do

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are here for the next couple of days. We've already hit the Canyon Rd galleries but we're really looking for some cool hiking. She likes waterfalls and we're not afraid of some heavy hiking. I was hit for 24 hours after we landed with a nasty bout of altitude sickness. And I took a rapid COVID test so I know it's got to be altitude sickness. Feeling all better now.

We had an opportunity to stay at my wife's friend's place for free so we jumped on a plane (using points) and rented a car (our biggest expense). Not that we're trying to pinch pennies, as we're not about that at all. Seemed like a great opportunity. Tonight, we've got a tub at the Ojo Santa Fe after a nice dinner there. Looking forward to that! Next time we'll bring our bikes as it's a big cycling mecca. Not sure why we didn't bring them...

Thanks!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not from there, but I've vacationed to northern NM many times.
The Santa Fe Brewery is pretty darn good.
The Rio Grande gorge bridge and Taos Ski Valley are within day trip distance IMO. The hike from The Bavarian Restaurant to Williams Lake is one of my favorites. If you want some really heavy hiking, you can turn left at the lake and go straight up the scree switchbacks to the 13k ft highpoint, Wheeler Peak. Plenty of marmots and bighorn to be seen up there.
The the gorge bridge coffee and ice cream bus is worth a try. The goods are very tasty. I'm not a stickler for service but but some are. The service you receive depends on which hippie you get that day, and possibly whether they're already medicated. There are some nice hikes and views along the gorge, and I've seen a herd of bighorn on the north side of the highway.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd suggest asking RogersLudwig for hike suggestions. He really knows the NM outdoors.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also not from there but used to fly there. I wasn't much of a tourist since I would just overnight waiting for the next days flight. But I sure enjoyed the food!
If you like New Mexican food, don't leave without eating a real Burrito (Best burrito's I've had!). Almost every New Mexican food place in Santa Fe makes incredible Burritos. And beyond Burritos, pretty much every New Mexican food place is fantastic with all the menu offerings.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bandelier National Monument... just a short drive from SF... really nice Indian cliff dwellings. Can be a bit crowded, go early and really hike around to escape the crowds. One spot there has a 140 vertical feet ladder climb to cliff dwellings... very cool experience.

04-721-Renovated-cliff-dwellings-Bandelier-National-Monument-New-Mexico.jpg
Bandelier-National-Monument-1777.jpg

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Hey Dan,
I live in Taos! Welcome to the high desert! Hiking in Santa fe: Aspen trail which is on the way to the ski valley. Aspens are starting to turn so that would be a beautiful moderate hike.

The coffee school bus hasn't been seen for a while so that's a question mark on that one. But the Gorge Bridge is pretty cool - 600ft above the Rio Grande. There is the West Rim Trail on the west side of the bridge - flat but goes along the rim of the gorge. That's about 2 hours from SF.

I've heard mix reviews of Ojo SF, mostly from people that would go to Ojo Caliente. So I'm interested to hear what you think, not being from around here.

In SF check out Meow Wolf. Google that to see if it's open. It's like a giant art exhibit/fun house/head bender trip. You walk into a room that's upside down, go through a washing machine into another room then get in a bus that's on its back in a tree. Lots of fun.

Bandelier is closer to SF than Taos and a very cool place.

If you do come to Taos, there are great hiking trails on the road to Taos Ski Valley - Yerba and Italianos are our favs! Lots of stream crossings and plenty of vegetation. If you come up pm me and I'll hook you up with directions and great places to eat.

It's too bad you only have 2 days. There's a lot to do around the area. Have fun!

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan, I am in Santa Fe. I’m not much of a hiker but as you can see there’s a ton of trails within 30 minutes of town, and way more within an hour. If you’re near the plaza there’s a jam tonight at Evangelos, mixed quality but can be fun. Cowgirl BBQ is my favorite laid-back restaurant, but it is closed these days on Wednesdays and Thursdays. For New Mexican food Tomasitas, La Choza, or Atrisco’s are all close to the plaza. Or Tia Sophias for breakfast or lunch, although it’s usually pretty busy if you get there at peak hours. Oh and Tesuque falls is probably the only one nearby

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also not from there but used to fly there. I wasn't much of a tourist since I would just overnight waiting for the next days flight. But I sure enjoyed the food!
If you like New Mexican food, don't leave without eating a real Burrito (Best burrito's I've had!). Almost every New Mexican food place in Santa Fe makes incredible Burritos. And beyond Burritos, pretty much every New Mexican food place is fantastic with all the menu offerings.
I love the food there. All the different types of mole... yummmm.

*edit for northerners* not the animal, the sauce

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I jumped in late, but I’m down on southern NM and you,ve had a few good suggestions. You might try Puye Pueblo ruins and museum at Santa Clara Pueblo.