OT: Any tennis fans?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am watching the US Open final right now with huge historical implications so I wanted to see if anyone else is into the sport.

I grew up playing the game, played futures, challengers , travelled all over to gain enough points to enter main draws of big tournaments but I was never good enough and without financial support, my tennis dreams came to an end and I did a lot of coaching after that. Now , I play whenever I can . Tennis and drums have always been my two biggest passions.

Borg was a big favorite, after that it was McEnroe, after that Sampras and Edberg...then came along Federer and he has been my guy ever since . I love what Nadal and Djokovic bring to the table of course but the style of Federer just appeals to me , the grace, the ease of movement and of course the single handed backhand.

With Rafa, Roger and Nole at 20 slam titles each, today's final is a big deal but also the actual Grand Slam is on the line ( Winning all 4 GS tournaments in the same calendar year) and that has not been done since Rod Laver did it in 1962. Roger could have done it but Rafa always denied him the French Open and Rafa came close too. I wateched Steffi Graf do it in ladies (she also won the Olympic gold medal that year which made it the so called Golden Slam). Djokovic had that chance this year but lost the finals at the Olympic games in Tokyo.

Just like in drums, the GOAT debate is forever but if Djokovic pulls it off today, he will have a very serious claim to the GOATness.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was brutal...The Joker was dominated. I've been playing the majority of my life. Play it on the 7th grade team. My buddy's neighbor was Pete Sampras growing up so we used to play two on one and get killed. Pete's mom was my Elementary School librarian! My sister went to his wedding because she was best friends with his sister. Other than that, I play tennis like I drum..... painful to watch!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I played on the varsity tennis team high school, great sport, haven't played in awhile, just got back from Nantucket from nephews wedding, he and his ushers were playing tennis in the am of his wedding (was later that day) and out comes the tennis pro to serve to them....full tilt...MY GOD....like a bullet !

I watch it on TV BUT to see some one in person clocking serves at a 130 MPH ! plus is scary
Most of their rackets came flying out of their hands.

I was always a Borg fan, so consistent, the players today are even better...scary good !

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great watching that final! I am a Federer fan....

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am watching the US Open final right now with huge historical implications so I wanted to see if anyone else is into the sport.

I grew up playing the game, played futures, challengers , travelled all over to gain enough points to enter main draws of big tournaments but I was never good enough and without financial support, my tennis dreams came to an end and I did a lot of coaching after that. Now , I play whenever I can . Tennis and drums have always been my two biggest passions.

Borg was a big favorite, after that it was McEnroe, after that Sampras and Edberg...then came along Federer and he has been my guy ever since . I love what Nadal and Djokovic bring to the table of course but the style of Federer just appeals to me , the grace, the ease of movement and of course the single handed backhand.

With Rafa, Roger and Nole at 20 slam titles each, today's final is a big deal but also the actual Grand Slam is on the line ( Winning all 4 GS tournaments in the same calendar year) and that has not been done since Rod Laver did it in 1962. Roger could have done it but Rafa always denied him the French Open and Rafa came close too. I wateched Steffi Graf do it in ladies (she also won the Olympic gold medal that year which made it the so called Golden Slam). Djokovic had that chance this year but lost the finals at the Olympic games in Tokyo.

Just like in drums, the GOAT debate is forever but if Djokovic pulls it off today, he will have a very serious claim to the GOATness.
FYI, Don Budge won the Grand Slam in 38’ as an amateur. Rod Laver did it in 62’ as an amateur, and again in 69’ as a pro after the majors were opened to pros in 68’.

On the woman’s side Maureen Connolly did it in 53’, Margaret Court did it in 70’, and Steffi Graf did it in 88’.

Drums

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if it was 20-20-20 forever? Amazing to see Djokovic break down emotionally during that changeover--both a response to the love he was getting from the crowd and the realization he wasn't going to hit the milestones...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up playing tennis. My dad has always been a big player and got me into it when I was a kid. We’re going in a couple weeks to a tournament where we live in San Diego and all those top players are going to be there. They just opened this tennis place, San Diego has never hosted a tennis tournament with top players like this. Excited!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Loved playing as a teen. Watched a lot of tennis back them. Fun to hate on John. :) The young Canadian kids have got me watching again over that last few years. Really like Shapo's game. Nadal drives me crazy with his routine every time he serves.