OT - Anyone Else Watching "Tiger King" -- The Best Documentary in the History of Documentaries?

Groov-E

Reaction score
We started watching it yesterday, my wife hopes there are not too many episodes left.

Anyone else think Joe Exotic sound like Les Claypool in Tommy the Cat when he is on the phone calling from county jail ? Maybe it’s just me forcing a coincidence.

gmiller598

Reaction score
We started watching it yesterday, my wife hopes there are not too many episodes left.

Anyone else think Joe Exotic sound like Les Claypool in Tommy the Cat when he is on the phone calling from county jail ? Maybe it’s just me forcing a coincidence.
How many have you watched? There are 7 total. I finished across 2 days.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just finished it. I don’t know how much of it is bulls*** but there is a thread of bulls*** running through this documentary.

The most obvious anomaly in my eyes is the suicide of Travis Maldonado. Maldonado is/was and impressive physical specimen; tall, thin and strong but the person talking with Joshua Dial, Joe Exotic’s campaign manager, on the CCT footage that we are being asked to believe is Maldonado is clearly fat and out of shape.

I also think Dial’s reaction to this suicide which we are watching in real time is contrived.

An other point that I thought contrived is this part where Exotic and Rick Kirkman fall out over who controls the footage that was shot. Kirkman clearly states that he pointed out unequivocally that he owns it, that Exotic looses his mind over it but then We are asked to believe that Kirkman leaves every stitch of it on Exotic property unprotected. Jump forward to the scene where Exotic then unwittingly allows himself to get filmed in some lawyers office who, when he finds out that all the footage is stored unprotected in one of Exotics buildings tells him that he knows what to do. Does that level of reckless stupidity even exist.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well no one's going to like me because I'm going to be the first one to say the show is stupid. I don't like watching stupid mean people on TV that is not entertainment. I'd much rather come here and talk drums or go on the internet and look at drums. I don't have a whole lot of time to watch TV but last night I didn't watch an excellent documentary on Woodstock on Netflix.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I just finished it. I don’t know how much of it is bulls*** but there is a thread of bulls*** running through this documentary.

The most obvious anomaly in my eyes is the suicide of Travis Maldonado. Maldonado is/was and impressive physical specimen; tall, thin and strong but the person talking with Joshua Dial, Joe Exotic’s campaign manager, on the CCT footage that we are being asked to believe is Maldonado is clearly fat and out of shape.

I also think Dial’s reaction to this suicide which we are watching in real time is contrived.

An other point that I thought contrived is this part where Exotic and Rick Kirkman fall out over who controls the footage that was shot. Kirkman clearly states that he pointed out unequivocally that he owns it, that Exotic looses his mind over it but then We are asked to believe that Kirkman leaves every stitch of it on Exotic property unprotected. Jump forward to the scene where Exotic then unwittingly allows himself to get filmed in some lawyers office who, when he finds out that all the footage is stored unprotected in one of Exotics buildings tells him that he knows what to do. Does that level of reckless stupidity even exist.
Hanlon's razor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hanlon's razor is an aphorism "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", known in several other forms.[1] It is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior. Similar statements have been recorded since at least the 18th century

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hanlon's razor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Hanlon's razor is an aphorism "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", known in several other forms.[1] It is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior. Similar statements have been recorded since at least the 18th century
These “Razor” are nothing more than fortune cookies for simpletons.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I saw the first episode and I'm interested in watching more. Unfortunately, I fell asleep during episode 2 although it was late at night. Looking forward to trying that again today....

gmiller598

Reaction score
We only watched the first episode, but since I couldn’t stop imitating Joe and his partners afterwards I doubt my family will let me watch the rest !
OH, it gets better. You've only touched the tip of the iceberg. I think it sort of gets slow in the last 2 but the next 4 are pure entertainment.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I haven't yet. Been catching up on another show, but I've seen ALLLLLL the memes. A guy named Austin Forman on YouTube wrote a song about it that's pretty funny. I'll go ahead and say NSFW since some of you might be working from home in front of small children.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
We finished it tonight, and I thought it was excellent. The content and characters were pure white trash. The thing that made it watchable was how it was put together. As a closet movie critic, and a fan of documentaries, I think this is one of the better docs I've ever seen. Thoroughly entertaining.

If that was actually Joe singing on those country songs, then the man needs to pursue that avenue in the future. He's a very good singer, and I don't even like country.

gmiller598

Reaction score
We finished it tonight, and I thought it was excellent. The content and characters were pure white trash. The thing that made it watchable was how it was put together. As a closet movie critic, and a fan of documentaries, I think this is one of the better docs I've ever seen. Thoroughly entertaining.

If that was actually Joe singing on those country songs, then the man needs to pursue that avenue in the future. He's a very good singer, and I don't even like country.
It wasn't.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I saw the whole thing. That was some fuk monkey, hillbilly ass, circus freak, meth head smokery
stuff. I can't image what was caught on film, that was lost in the fire, because I think I saw everything except balls off the chin.

Ox Han

Reaction score
It was very entertaining. I liked it a lot. But, the fact it’s so entertaining is also its biggest fault as a documentary. It’s not very accurate and I think that is palpable. The way it’s presented is obviously done so with liberties taken and without concern for accuracy.

You’re seeing the most entertaining clips and sound bites from how many years worth of footage?

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just finished the first 2 episodes. Very well done documentary in terms of character development. Just as you think you know everything about someone, them boom! What?!

Not that there are any clear protagonists, but I am not liking much of what I am seeing about Carole Baskin.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It was very entertaining. I liked it a lot. But, the fact it’s so entertaining is also its biggest fault as a documentary. It’s not very accurate and I think that is palpable. The way it’s presented is obviously done so with liberties taken and without concern for accuracy.

You’re seeing the most entertaining clips and sound bites from how many years worth of footage?
Please support your statement with one example of a significant inaccuracy.