OT. Anyone have a “Ring” door bell / camera system

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend has it. She loves it. She can see who is at her door over the cell phone app and can "answer" even when not home!
I am very inclined to get one soon.......I don't recall her having any negative things to say. I think she got it at Costco for like $200....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If I'm out of town and some ne'er do well is RINGing my doorbell, I honestly don't want to know.

What am I gonna do? Call the Cops to report a RING-and-run, then drive home to figure out if they did more than RING my bell. It's nothing but heartburn and aggravation. I'd rather lay in my big plush hotel bed in complete ignorance.

By the way, I live in an area most of you would call urban. There is crime and I've been burgled in the past (and it sucked). Despite what the media would have you believe, the FBI reports the property crime rate fell 48% between 1993 and 2016. Violent crime is also down sharply.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/01/30/5-facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/ft_17-02-15_crime_640px/

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also have a good friend who has one. He loves it. He watches his dog when he goes on vacation so I guess you can look inside the house too?

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
We like ours. It records video of action at the door. It works on a rechargeable battery or if you hook it up with the wires from your doorbell, you lose the old doorbell but don't have to recharge the battery. I recommend the later. A motion detector will alert you through your smartphone if it gets tripped. Ace

spctomlin

Reaction score
Cons...if you have a girlfriend who has one at her own house, she might not feel comfortable sleeping at your house if you dont have one, too. This eventually lessens to the point of it no longer being a concern, but there is that initial period of weening them from the added sense of security that theyve grown accustomed to having because of their doorbell camera.
This is my only experience with the devices...besides having been monitored by one...which was completely painless.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Had one. I ended up replacing it with the Nest Hello. I have all the other Nest stuff so the integration is better and I like the video quality better.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one. As previously stated, the rechargeable battery does not last very long if you have a lot of motion "traffic" at the front of your house. 2-3 weeks at most. The best thing is you know when FedEx drops off a new cymbal or gear. It also allows me talk to anyone at my door from wherever I'm at. It's worth it, IMHO.