OT: Anyone in car business here?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Inspired by memories of my mum`s former Buick Park Avenue, I`m looking for a Roadmaster Estate Wagon.
No such cars over here in pristine condition. Should have the LT1 engine and Gran Touring Suspension.

@Houndog: My mum is wondering about your connection of driving a Park Avenue and being `super hawt`:toothy5:.
-1x-1.jpg

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you just missed this one ... Looks like you have a fairly attainable goal ... Bring a Trailer sold four over the previous year, all at fairly reasonable prices.

It's much harder for a guy like me that lusts after VW buses and early Porsches -- both of which have seen prices hit the stratosphere in recent years.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-buick-roadmaster-5/

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Looks like you just missed this one ... Looks like you have a fairly attainable goal ... Bring a Trailer sold four over the previous year, all at fairly reasonable prices.

It's much harder for a guy like me that lusts after VW buses and early Porsches -- both of which have seen prices hit the stratosphere in recent years.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-buick-roadmaster-5/
Problem is, there were quite a few VW buses and Porsches imported to the US but the Roadmaster has never been officially imported to Germany and is more or less a non existing car here.

Funny enough, a good friend of mine had a T2a Westfalia camper van imported from the US three years ago. It was a one-owner car belonging to a lady in her 90s a former table tennis champ in the US afaik.

Prices for old VWs and Porsches are aweful even here.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's going to be expensive to fill up over there (21-23 gal tank depending on the year and 15-26 mpg).
Are there a lot of Buicks in Germany? If so, the dealerships may be the only place to go to for repairs?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
That's going to be expensive to fill up over there (21-23 gal tank depending on the year and 15-26 mpg).
Are there a lot of Buicks in Germany? If so, the dealerships may be the only place to go to for repairs?
Yes, I avoid thinking about fuel consumption but it would be a sunday car. There are no Buicks here at all. Parts should be available online from the US or from specialized dealers in the Netherlands. I`m confident of being able to do all the work by myself.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in the car business.
I would not have been able to find you a nice one of those, I don't think they exist. They are all either on their last legs or being driven by the old lady every Sunday or the young kid who could afford to buy it off the old lady.

This seems like a losing proposition for you Tim, in every way. The cost of importing a car of so little value, and the high cost of gas, and the high cost (maybe impossibility of) repairs? Man.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting to see it go for $9100. That's a nice specimen, for sure. But even a Roadmaster Wagon like that was just a $5000 car that no one really cared about a few years ago. I saw that Hagerty Magazine had it listed in a sidebar for its 2021 Bull Market Collectible Cars list in their most recent issue. The nostalgia factor is starting to boil...

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I was in the car business.
I would not have been able to find you a nice one of those, I don't think they exist. They are all either on their last legs or being driven by the old lady every Sunday or the young kid who could afford to buy it off the old lady.

This seems like a losing proposition for you Tim, in every way. The cost of importing a car of so little value, and the high cost of gas, and the high cost (maybe impossibility of) repairs? Man.
Oh, that`s a shame. Thanks!

I`m a bit astonished about your (and kdgrissoms) concerns about repairs. I did some work on a friends US cars. Never had any problems getting parts in good quality neither getting the work done. Straightforward technology on US cars, easy and fun to work on.

Try to get original parts for an early 2000s Audi over here. Last time I went to the Audi dealership and asked for a xenon control unit for my brothers 2001 RS4 I was laughed at.

Try to have fun while renewing VANOS-units of 1999 BMW E39.

German tradition for decades to overcomplicate things.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find this fascinating. You never know what people in other countries and cultures will like. I figured - obviously erroneously - that the majority of Europeans viewed American cars from the last 30 years as junk...because many of us here do (again, not all Americans - but most of the Americans I know). You have to go back to the mid-70s or earlier to find American car enthusiasts, at least in my neck of the woods.
That a person in Germany would desire a Buick...well, I never thought I'd see the day that the home of Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen would import Buicks. But...I can also see the nostalgia involved. I would love to have a 60s or 70s Sonor kit, and a German drummer friend I used to know told me they were no big deal in Germany.
Good luck with your quest - most of those cars, as lossforgain has pointed out, have already broken down beyond repair and are long gone. You'd have better luck finding a 1969 Camaro SS in import-worthy condition.
As as far as the time-honored German tradition of over-engineering things...well, I do quality control for a living, and I have a thing for German-made drums and watches, and my boss at work is a Volkswagen-only driver. I'm trying to resist a set of SQ2 drums. The over-engineering is the biggest temptation! ;-)

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, that`s a shame. Thanks!

I`m a bit astonished about your (and kdgrissoms) concerns about repairs. I did some work on a friends US cars. Never had any problems getting parts in good quality neither getting the work done. Straightforward technology on US cars, easy and fun to work on.

Try to get original parts for an early 2000s Audi over here. Last time I went to the Audi dealership and asked for a xenon control unit for my brothers 2001 RS4 I was laughed at.

Try to have fun while renewing VANOS-units of 1999 BMW E39.

German tradition for decades to overcomplicate things.
So a German lusting after an American car and most of us Americans lust after a German car. I guess the exhaust manifold is always greener

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the Mecum collector car auction last week and they had none. Considering that they pretty much have every car made in pristine condition, it leads me to believe that few of those exist in good condition. They had a couple of the Chevy versions that were like new!
I don't believe many of those Buick's were sold. I remember never seeing many on the road even when they were in their prime.

Last edited:

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I find this fascinating. You never know what people in other countries and cultures will like. I figured - obviously erroneously - that the majority of Europeans viewed American cars from the last 30 years as junk...because many of us here do (again, not all Americans - but most of the Americans I know). You have to go back to the mid-70s or earlier to find American car enthusiasts, at least in my neck of the woods.
That a person in Germany would desire a Buick...well, I never thought I'd see the day that the home of Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen would import Buicks. But...I can also see the nostalgia involved. I would love to have a 60s or 70s Sonor kit, and a German drummer friend I used to know told me they were no big deal in Germany.
Good luck with your quest - most of those cars, as lossforgain has pointed out, have already broken down beyond repair and are long gone. You'd have better luck finding a 1969 Camaro SS in import-worthy condition.
Well I don`t want to show off with a supercar like a 1969 Camaro but in fact, you might get more attention driving a 1996 Roadmaster over here than sitting in an actual 911 turbo.

An estate wagon in truck like dimensions with a big V8 and NOT being something like a supersport AMG-wagon is totally crazy for us here.

If you like a vintage Sonor kit, my Teardrop rosewood kit is still for sale...

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I`m a bit astonished about your (and kdgrissoms) concerns about repairs. I did some work on a friends US cars. Never had any problems getting parts in good quality neither getting the work done.
I went to my local Mercedes dealership parts department to order a new front passenger sun visor for my 1984 300TD.
Over $300 for one and only in black!! Not much better prices on ebay, either.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
As as far as the time-honored German tradition of over-engineering things...well, I do quality control for a living, and I have a thing for German-made drums and watches, and my boss at work is a Volkswagen-only driver. I'm trying to resist a set of SQ2 drums. The over-engineering is the biggest temptation! ;-)
In my opinion German-made products had their peak from the 1970s to the late 1980s. Mercedes cars, Sonor drums, Adidas sportwear, Braun hifi-components, Miele household appliances...everything produced in Germany. Not cheap but reasonably priced concerning quality and longevity. Then it became too costly to compete with foreign products and decline began.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I went to my local Mercedes dealership parts department to order a new front passenger sun visor for my 1984 300TD.
Over $300 for one and only in black!! Not much better prices on ebay, either.
Let me know if you need any special parts for your S123, I`ve some good sources for parts like the one mentioned.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you need any special parts for your S123, I`ve some good sources for parts like the one mentioned.
I've got the W123 and also a 1979 W116 280 SE. Both are euro models. Thanks for the future help.

Kurt

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
At one time Buicks were the odd ball GM's with front wheel drive , but your Roadmaster was the traditional rear wheel drive .

A fine example of the smooth and comfortable American big car experience .

I'd love to take a Roadmaster wagon and cut it into an El Camino type hauler .