OT... Anyone live in or near Keene, NH?

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up in the general area, a little east. It's a beautiful part of southern NH, you have lots of woods and some nice small mountains with the Mt Monadnock area: https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/monadnock-state-park. Its all small towns for the most part, you're not going to find much city life, but Keene is a college town so you'll get some culture. Not terribly far from Boston if you do want that lifestyle from time to time and also just a few hours from some beautiful nature in Vermont and up north in the White Mountains of NH. People are generally good honest folk, though I guess you could say that about most places. You could do a lot worse, all depends of course what you're looking for.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you liked Savannah?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you liked Savannah?
I do live in Savannah. Wife doesn't like the heat during the summer. Also, she's into horseback riding, and that's not very good down here.
Thinking of either having a summer and winter place or just moving north.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Keene is a nice spot, we played Keene st in soccer when I was in college, nice college town, keeps things active, Not far from Vermont, so if you ski, thats a plus, also NH liquor stores 100% blow away any liquor store in Mass, selection, price its all there, you want a $1,000.00 bottle of scotch, they have it.
I live 5 minutes from my NH liquor store and there is this certain scotch I like, no Mass store had it.
They were out too BUT, I went on the website and other NH stores had it, they had 7 bottles transferred
to the store I was close to.......cant do that anywhere else.

That alone gets my vote !
Plus the winters aren't that bad in New England, right now Dallas TX is at 6 degrees, we are in the mid 30s
next week it is looking to be in the 40s, not bad for Feb.

Last edited:

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sister (still) lives there for about 30 some years. She loves it. I have been there . I like it a lot.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keene is a nice spot, we played Keene st in soccer when I was in college, nice college town, keeps things active, Not far from Vermont, so if you ski, thats a plus, also NH liquor stores 100% blow away any liquor store in Mass, selection, price its all there, you want a $1,000.00 bottle of scotch, they have it.
I live 5 minutes from my NH liquor store and there is this certain scotch I like, no Mass store had it.
They were out too BUT, I went on the website and other NH stores had it, they had 7 bottles transferred

Plus the winters aren't that bad in New England, right now Dallas TX is at 6 degrees, we are in the mid 30s
I hope you're not referring to Screech!

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

$1,000 scotch?

Most I’d go is $849
Single malt please

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went there once in the middle of oct for a pumpkin festival. Never again it felt like January it was so cold

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in Conway NH for a while. Conway was kind of... uppity for me, touristy. Big ski area, lot of old money and transient yuppies and all that. I liked Maine across the Saco, it's a little more hick there and I'm more hick than not but I'd live in NH again, really beautiful area.

Only three seasons though, winter, 4th of July and mud season (which coincides with black fly season) but pretty mild and pleasant overall if you don't mind constant snow in the winter which isn't bad IMO.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low-tax booze from the NH State Liquor Stores at highway rest areas? Almost makes up for the five-foot annual snowfall. Live free or die!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grew up in central MA and spent a lot of time in NH. My sister currently lives about 20 minutes from Hampton Beach, which we frequented in my extended youth. NH (and New England in general, really) is beautiful with great seasonal changes.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I lived in Richmond, NH, about 15 +/- miles south of Keene for roughly 4 years before retiring up in Columbia, NH. Keene is nice. A small town environment with a few decent restaurants and shops. You won't get your Patek Phillipe serviced anywhere within 50 miles but there is more forest in Cheshire County than any county in NH believe it or not. And gentle rolling hills.
And DCNH is about two hours east. No real fast way to get there till you get to Rt 101 past Manchester.
It is fine horse country and there are numerous "ranches." Endless trails that double as quad and sled trails depending on the season and who maintains them etc.
And there are the White Mountains not far north and the Green Mountains not far west/north both of which are extenuations of the basic Appalachian range which makes the whole northern NE area hilly and semi-mountainous everywhere.
There are four seasons.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manchester NH- home of Keller drum shells .

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Manchester NH- home of Keller drum shells .
Saw the place many times Benny. I thought about stopping in and talking and maybe even working there. Figured I could build one hell of a kit with employee chosen and priced shells.
The place looks VERY unassuming from the outside. Don't remember if it's brick or wood but there was just a small "shingle" saying "Keller Wood Products" or something hanging over the door as I recall.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have lived in NH all my life. My singer for my band lives in Keene and we often practice at her house. Keene is not too bad. It's kind of far out in the middle of nowhere though. The drive to get to the main highway to go south to places like Boston, is kind of a long drive with the speed limit changing all the time. It is a nice little town and it is pretty self contained. It's also a college town so there is a little of that going on too. I live in a town outside of Concord and I like it because I can easily go South, East, West or North with not too much trouble. It takes me 5-10 minutes to get to highway 93 which goes all the way up north or all the way down to Boston.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Low-tax booze from the NH State Liquor Stores at highway rest areas? Almost makes up for the five-foot annual snowfall. Live free or die!
Read the article, the 2 stores on 95 north and 95 south did 54 million in sales in a yr !
I know them well, when I go to DCP I pass there northbound store and when I come back I pass the southbound one, so I stop in, heck its on the way.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I lived right near there as a kid Rich. I visit family from time to time in N. Walpole NH, and Bellows Falls VT. Small town-you have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a city or a serviceable airport. Brattleboro (I lived here too) is your closest town that has anything besides Keene, but still very small. Lots of woods and maple syrup farms in the surrounding area. Not a lot of jobs and a lot of working class incomes. Not sure about places to play out. Seems slim, but I haven't checked that specifically in recent times.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rich- it’d be cool to see you- can’t be too far from where I’m living now. I love New England! I’ll take the winters here over the spring, summer, and fall in the south.