OT: Anyone Own a Mini Cooper?

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My entire life (I'm 71) ALL of my cars had to be big enough to carry a set of drums. However I'm a bit of a car guy and recently I've gotten pretty interested in the newer Mini Cooper.
I've read ALL the horrible things about this car but since BMW has actually taken over the building of them (2014 to present) they appear to have gotten a bit better and more reliable.
I drove a 2015 model a few days ago and it was huge fun. This was the S version, turbocharged.

This would be a fun car for me...not one to drive on long trips and certainly not one I can take to gigs. However, I could probably get my snare drum in the passenger seat. :) I had hoped I might be able to get my road bike in the back....but alas that won't happen either.

So, anyone have any thoughts, additional warnings or opinions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
..here we go. Bet there' a Great Mini Forum out there!
my Dad was a dealer (independent and franchised) for 70 solid straight years..every day for 70 years .
(1948-2018)
"If you like the car you buy it; who you buy it from sometimes is as important as what it is.."

Last edited:

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My mother in-law was a single mom, worked several jobs all her life to raise 5 kids. Never had a new car until one day when she was 78 (still working at the time-Cafeteria aid in a school). Out of the blue she said, "you know I like those Mini Coopers, I think I'm going to treat myself to one before I go." We were surprised, but happy to see her so enthused. She got the car in '14 and loved it. it was her pride and joy, she passed in late '18 after a battle with Lung Cancer, but one of the things she always spoke about was that she was glad that she pulled that trigger when she did... So my point is, life is short, and if there is anything out there that you think will make you happy, pull the trigger sooner than later.

As far as the car itself, no major problems that I can recall, although you have to run it in order to keep the battery charged (lots of aux stuff in there that can drain it if it sits for a prolonged period).

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I test drove a Mini Cooper S manual a few years ago. Found it to be a fun ride with a unique interior, but I needed to haul a kit regularly and wanted a bit more room and a little more comfortable ride. So, I bought a VW GTI manual. Best car I ever owned.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
People that love their Mini"s LOVE them, and are willing to endure a lot of maintenence bills that the average car owner may not want. I have two friends like that.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome cars to drive, especially the manual trans Cooper S. But yes, they are expensive to fix once they break. All of their automatic transmissions used to blow up, but I think that has been resolved. There was even a class action lawsuit about that. I’m pretty sure there has been brand wide problems with timing belts/chains too.

The parts are expensive, but the labor costs for repairs are what can really suck. Sometimes removing parts just to access the repair location is the biggest time suck. To access the front of the motor you have to literally take the whole front end of the car off and the underside protective panels.

I used to flip cars and bought/fixed a bunch of Coopers over the years. You are 71, so I’m guessing you don’t want to fix it yourself. If you have a good friend or family member who is a mechanic then you can manage. If you lease one or buy a certified used car with a warranty you should be fine, just sell it before the warranty is up lol. I would avoid the Mini brand altogether. There are better, cheaper, and more reliable cars in the same class.

Those little VW/Audi hatchbacks are a better option. Especially the turbo diesels!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about the Clubman model? Looks like it might have a few more square inches of hauling space.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife bought a 2014 MINI Clubman new. Beautiful car. So fun to drive with a six-speed manual and sport mode (even without the S supercharger) and the Clubman has a bit more room than the standard Cooper.

We didn't have a bit of trouble with it until a lady ran a red light and smashed into the side at 40-plus -- triggering all four airbags and totaling the car.

I miss it. I don't like the newer, larger Clubman's as much. For me, they're just too big to be a MINI.

I forgot who suggested Audi and German turbo diesels, but both are a horrible idea for obvious reasons (if you follow the news).

I think people have outdated ideas about MINI. Looking at this list of the cars with the highest average maintenance costs, MINI fares far better than Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

clubman.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Owned two in the last few years. A 2008 Clubman Cooper s and a 2016 Countryman s. Both are gone now, due to maintenance issues and repair costs. 3200.00 to replace the fuel delivery system on the 08. Wife decided she liked her Audi Q5 better, so we unloaded both Coopers.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
People that love their Mini"s LOVE them, and are willing to endure a lot of maintenence bills that the average car owner may not want. I have two friends like that.
Well said and I'm not sure I'm that guy?. Been driving Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas for a very long time and essentially they are bulletproof. The Japanese have really turned the car market upside down since they entered it in the late 60s. Change the oil regularly and they seem to go forever. Guess I need to ask myself...how much do I really need or want another toy. However, I am selling my motorcycle this weekend... :)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a very sweet Mini Cooper for several years. I would still own it, were it not for ...
I was on my way to a studio session in Nashville ... speed limit was 70 ... box truck a ways in front of me ... the leaf springs on one side broke away and was launched ... it came flying into my front windshield and shattered my right arm.
The damage it did to my car was intense.
The car was repaired but it wasn't the same. I let it go.
I miss that car. I wasn't ready to part with the Mini. It happens sometimes, though.
I've considered having them build me another.

So, to me ... the Mini Cooper is one of my favorite cars I've ever owned (like the Miata). It is a blast to drive.

You can do a rear seat delete with a flat floor and that opens it up to fit a very small kit if you want.

07RSD_front.jpg

Last edited:

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes indeed and I
..here we go. Bet there' a Great Mini Forum out there!
my Dad was a dealer (independent and franchised) for 70 solid straight years..every day for 70 years .
(1948-2018)
"If you like the car you buy it; who you buy it from sometimes is as important as what it is.."
Yes indeed and I have already found the (multiple) MINI forums. But it's a little like asking this forum if playing drums is fun?

My Dad sold cars for 36 years and while your Dad trumps mine (My Dad is tougher than your Dad? ) :) ...I have come away with a little knowledge about cars and the industry as well. It's a very tough way to make a living. Thanks I appreciate your thoughts.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never owned one, but I've worked on plenty...They are hard to work on for any mechanic. In the manual transmission models, the clutch WILL go out at some point. I have yet to see one go past 120,000 miles. It's a big job with a lot of labor. All that said, they aren't any more prone to issues than any other car. They're just a bigger pain to work on than most. If you go into it knowing that, you'll be fine. It's the folks that think the parts prices and labor times equate to a Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla that flip out when they hear it's not...

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
We are on our second, a 2017 countryman S, all 4
It has a three cylinder twin turbo, it’s fast! I put a four piece kit in there no problem.
Buy what you like

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought my '05 Mini "S," manual, in 2010. It's been as absolute ball! I love it. Yes, have had a few costly repairs and I hope I can face reality and get 'er sold before the clutch goes out. I'm at about 83K now. As for loading my gear (22" BD, one up, one down - could be two up if I use the passenger seat), once I figured out the best way it all fit (back seats lowered, of course) I had to snap a picture with my phone for reference because sometimes when the gig was done I just couldn't remember how I made it fit :-/

Barden

Reaction score
My entire life (I'm 71) ALL of my cars had to be big enough to carry a set of drums. However I'm a bit of a car guy and recently I've gotten pretty interested in the newer Mini Cooper.
I've read ALL the horrible things about this car but since BMW has actually taken over the building of them (2014 to present) they appear to have gotten a bit better and more reliable.
I drove a 2015 model a few days ago and it was huge fun. This was the S version, supercharged.

This would be a fun car for me...not one to drive on long trips and certainly not one I can take to gigs. However, I could probably get my snare drum in the passenger seat. :) I had hoped I might be able to get my road bike in the back....but alas that won't happen either.

So, anyone have any thoughts, additional warnings or opinions? Thanks in advance.
I have nearly talked myself into a cooper s a few times. I still remember driving a friend's with every available add on package. I could get tire squeal in first, second, and third gear all in the same acceleration.
Unfortunately, years later, every time I would test drive one I would remind myself that I didn't like the clutch, the shift knob's action, nor the centralized speedometer. I could drive it like a race car, but I would not want to be stuck in <5mph highway congestion with that clutch.

That's what makes me always land at a golf tdi. I get the performance and agility that I liked from the mini, but the shifting is much smoother, the mpg much higher, and I can fit three people and a drum set in (18" bass drum).

But in your case, if it's not a daily driver, go for it. For me it would have to be.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I have nearly talked myself into a cooper s a few times. I still remember driving a friend's with every available add on package. I could get tire squeal in first, second, and third gear all in the same acceleration.
Unfortunately, years later, every time I would test drive one I would remind myself that I didn't like the clutch, the shift knob's action, nor the centralized speedometer. I could drive it like a race car, but I would not want to be stuck in <5mph highway congestion with that clutch.

That's what makes me always land at a golf tdi. I get the performance and agility that I liked from the mini, but the shifting is much smoother, the mpg much higher, and I can fit three people and a drum set in (18" bass drum).

But in your case, if it's not a daily driver, go for it. For me it would have to be.
Two things: One,the performance between a VW TDI and a Mini Cooper S isn't even close -- the VW's 2 seconds slower 0 to 60.

Second, VW doesn't sell diesels anymore... "After being caught using software to reduce emissions illegally, VW Group has decided to stop selling diesel models from its VW, Audi and Porsche brands in the US."