OT: Anyone watching the Tour?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is a Tour widow! I'm lovin' it. Slovenia's killing it with Roglic and Pogacar. I'm actually feeling sorry for Sagen! And American's Powless and Sepp Kuss are riding great!

And my favorite commercial? Geico's Aunt commercial..."Aunt Joanies Here!"

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every day. It's interesting to see all these younger riders coming up. I started following the tour in 1984 when you had to call the VeloNews Hotline (a 900 number) to get a short scratchy update each afternoon.

Last edited:

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, watching every day. Great tour, lots of different story lines and new winners.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I don’t miss a stage!

I’m having a hard time believing Slovenia is 1-2 though! That country is the size of Rhode Island!

I’m loving the Americans, Kuss and Powless, both are making a big impact on the race. Maybe one will snag a stage win yet.

Sagan has no legs, he won’t win an 8th green jersey. Go Bennett!

Bernal! Eek! What happened? Quintana is dead as well.

France is having a terrible tour! KOM might be it for them.

Great tour so far. Every stage has been a killer!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dan, where is it? I've been a dedicated Tour watcher for many, many years ..... just assumed it was another Covid Casualty ........

Mike

PS: found it! That's what I get for forgetting the assume = ass + you (not "you") & me. There certainly was zero publicity. And I can't say I dig the commercials every minute or so ............. !!!

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan, where is it? I've been a dedicated Tour watcher for many, many years ..... just assumed it was another Covid Casualty ........

Mike

PS: found it! That's what I get for forgetting the assume = ass + you (not "you") & me. There certainly was zero publicity. And I can't say I dig the commercials every minute or so ............. !!!
They always pound out the commercials at the beginning in order to give you an uninterrupted finish.

Two big mountain stages today and tomorrow will decide the Tour winner. Should be epic!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lemond got me to watch, loved Indurain’s five tour streak, then came Lance Armstrong. Those were exciting years, then the PED scandals (I actually had no problem with PEDs as everyone from the Bus drivers and team mechanics to the people at the top knew there were drugs since the 50s). Then frankly, I had lost interest. The UCI got really weird and choked innovation by American bike manufacturers in trying to “keep the sport affordable”. Ha! You can’t touch a capable race bike for less than $5k, so that argument is void. When the back stories got bigger than the race itself, I was done. And apparently, I have missed a lot of spectacular Tours. Did they hold the Vuelta Espana this year?

I was peripherally involved with that end of the bicycle industry for ten years and it’s sad how I burnt out. Grand tours are certainly great events.

Maybe I will watch next year. I do miss the Sky coverage... Why can’t I think of the names of the guys who covered it for years...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemond got me to watch, loved Indurain’s five tour streak, then came Lance Armstrong. Those were exciting years, then the PED scandals (I actually had no problem with PEDs as everyone from the Bus drivers and team mechanics to the people at the top knew there were drugs since the 50s). Then frankly, I had lost interest. The UCI got really weird and choked innovation by American bike manufacturers in trying to “keep the sport affordable”. Ha! You can’t touch a capable race bike for less than $5k, so that argument is void. When the back stories got bigger than the race itself, I was done. And apparently, I have missed a lot of spectacular Tours. Did they hold the Vuelta Espana this year?

I was peripherally involved with that end of the bicycle industry for ten years and it’s sad how I burnt out. Grand tours are certainly great events.

Maybe I will watch next year. I do miss the Sky coverage... Why can’t I think of the names of the guys who covered it for years...
Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen (who died in 2018 ). Bob Roll has taken his place and is doing a great job. And the Vuelta will occur 2 weeks after TdF I think.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen (who died in 2018 ). Bob Roll has taken his place and is doing a great job.
Bobke is a funny funny guy. Phil Liggett loves talking pro cycling. And how did I miss the death of Paul? He was well loved in the cycling community. Some of the Bobke-isms are quite funny.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobke is a funny funny guy. Phil Liggett loves talking pro cycling. And how did I miss the death of Paul? He was well loved in the cycling community. Some of the Bobke-isms are quite funny.
Bobkes book is quite funny!

Paul Sherwoods death was a shock to the cycling world, and his voice is missed. But yes, Bob Roll is one funny guy and I’d love to have a beer and a ride with him someday.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bobkes book is quite funny!

Paul Sherwoods death was a shock to the cycling world, and his voice is missed. But yes, Bob Roll is one funny guy and I’d love to have a beer and a ride with him someday.
Bobke is the same guy off camera as he is on camera. I don’t know him well, but he was as approachable as anyone can be in his position.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we saw the winner of this years Tour this morning. What an epic climb that was! Sepp Kuss, the American was all over that stage, great job!

Somehow they keep finding new roads and mountains to race on after 104 years and this one was a beaut. I wouldn’t have thought France was that big.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, wrong Tour! The senior golfers are in Pebble this week for a specatator-free tourney........funny that they are all the players from the 80's and 90's I grew up watching......now they are older, balder and fatter.....like me!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think we saw the winner of this years Tour this morning. What an epic climb that was! Sepp Kuss, the American was all over that stage, great job!

Somehow they keep finding new roads and mountains to race on after 104 years and this one was a beaut. I wouldn’t have thought France was that big.
They do go into neighbouring countries, as well.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually took this week off work, so I could watch the final stages live. And so far I think it has been one of the most exciting tours in years - lots of surprises in the GC, and the favourites doing some proper racing, in stead of one team dominating the race, and no one stepping up to the challenge like in the dark Team Sky years (or the even darker Armstrong era).
Also, it's very cool to see the Danish riders doing so well. Especially Søren Kragh's epic win on the 14. stage, and Michael Mørkøv just killing it with his lead-outs for Sam Bennet.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do go into neighbouring countries, as well.
France is roughly the same size as Texas. In fact, Texas is actually slightly larger (268,58 square miles to France's 260,558. Texas is far less mountainous, but has better Mexican food.