OT: Anyone watching the Tour?

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bobke is a funny funny guy. Phil Liggett loves talking pro cycling. And how did I miss the death of Paul? He was well loved in the cycling community. Some of the Bobke-isms are quite funny.
A few years back someone made a set of bingo cards with Phil and Paul tour-isms, things like "on the rivet" and "lighting the blue touch paper" and "oh my goodness me" - to win you had to get each days expressions on your card. It seems tamer and more mainstream. I really liked those days.

Dumpy

Reaction score
All the Phil and Paul-isms!!!

“On the rivet” literally was when the riders used Brooks saddles and getting super aggressive in the drops and trying to get every bit of power by sitting on the nose of the saddle, literally on that front rivet of the saddle. Every once in awhile, Phil would say something was “skewiff”, which means crooked.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So much action today :icon_e_biggrin:
Somewhat of a come-back for Ineos with snagging the spotted jersey, and a stage win.
Also a great save from Ritchie Porte after his flat on the gravel - Sure, he got some help from van Aert, and Dumolin. But just keeping the bike rolling with a flat front tyre is a hard thing to do on gravel. And he put in a lot of work on the last climb to close the hole, and was still part of the sprint.
I'm still hoping for him to make the podium, as he just seems like a really nice guy, and he's always been unlucky with crashes and defects (I tend to root for the underdog). The TT is going to be a nail-biter for me.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe that we have a Slovenian 1/2 and they had the KOM jersey to! Crazy!

Porte has certainly had the worst luck in perhaps Tour history!

Kuss will be a force in cycling for a long time to come. What a great first Tour he’s having.

Bennett for the Green. Sagan doesn’t have the legs. Might be past his sprinting prime.

Hirschi in a big high speed crash, and he just got up and continued to fly down that mountain. Iron man right there!

Great Tour!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kuss is looking great for sure. But I'm actually more impressed with van Aert, when looking at the Jumbo team. He has never been a real climber, but still he has been dropping out climbers and GC contenders on cat. 1 and HC mountains for a few days. He is looking like a strong favourite for the world championship.
I did feel bad for Hirschi, because he's been such a fighter, and I'd like to see him take the spotted. But his crash was clearly a rider error. He went into the turn at to high speed, hitting the brakes too late, so I think one of his wheels blocked for an instant - not a good thing at such high speed. But it was cool that he kept chasing on the same bike, with the crooked brake lever, in stead of wasting time with a change.
And yes, Bennet will get the green. I do think Sagan has been clever, and has used his team well in the fight for it. But it doesn't seem like he has the legs to finish the job. Also, he doesn't have a lead-out man like Mørkøv.

Dumpy

Reaction score
So much action today :icon_e_biggrin:
Somewhat of a come-back for Ineos with snagging the spotted jersey, and a stage win.
Also a great save from Ritchie Porte after his flat on the gravel - Sure, he got some help from van Aert, and Dumolin. But just keeping the bike rolling with a flat front tyre is a hard thing to do on gravel. And he put in a lot of work on the last climb to close the hole, and was still part of the sprint.
I'm still hoping for him to make the podium, as he just seems like a really nice guy, and he's always been unlucky with crashes and defects (I tend to root for the underdog). The TT is going to be a nail-biter for me.
Most Tour riders still use tubular tires, so he is likely in better shape than if he used a clincher. But still hard to ride in gravel, none the less!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SØREN KRAGH ANDERSEN!
Total animal!

Loved watching Bennet shadow Sagan for the finish. Normally Sagan is the smartest rider out there, but he’s been out foxed in this Tour!

Wow, Valverde quietly in 10th place in the GC. Incredible at 41 years old!

Proper sprint finishes seem like a thing of the past. You seldom see them anymore. If you can’t do hills and climbs, and then sprint, your not likely to be the winningest fast guy out there anymore. Ewan and the other pure sprinters have been creamed over the hills.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thankfully my wife watches with me. But I'm a fanatic and try to watch it post to post. Lately though I do a lot of fast forwarding.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Total animal!

Loved watching Bennet shadow Sagan for the finish. Normally Sagan is the smartest rider out there, but he’s been out foxed in this Tour!

Wow, Valverde quietly in 10th place in the GC. Incredible at 41 years old!

Proper sprint finishes seem like a thing of the past. You seldom see them anymore. If you can’t do hills and climbs, and then sprint, your not likely to be the winningest fast guy out there anymore. Ewan and the other pure sprinters have been creamed over the hills.
An animal with great instincts. He really knows how to find the right moment, where the others are in the red and are sizing each other up, to make his move. I was impressed when he won in Lyon, but also surprised, thinking he caught a lucky break. Today I was just impressed with him pulling the same trick, getting 20 seconds ahead of some very fast riders in one punch, and going flat out for 15 kilometres (he lost radio contact with his car with 3-4K to go, and had to ask the camera MC for the time).
This young generation of Danish pro riders is looking very good. And I expect to see some top placements in the classics, especially from Søren, and Mads P, the world champion.

Bennet (or his sporting directors) did a great strategic job on closing the green jersey. And Valverde is just a phenomenon in cycling - with a proper team behind him, I'm sure he could have won the Tour in his prime.

I do think we've seen some good sprint finishes this year. And today's stage was a total anomaly caused by the race for the green jersey being so tight. The Danish commentators (two of which are former pro tour riders) hadn't seen anything like it. Also, I think Ewan may either be sick, injured, or fatigued. He was planted on a hill where the peloton took a pee break today - not a sign of being in good shape.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An animal with great instincts. He really knows how to find the right moment, where the others are in the red and are sizing each other up, to make his move. I was impressed when he won in Lyon, but also surprised, thinking he caught a lucky break. Today I was just impressed with him pulling the same trick, getting 20 seconds ahead of some very fast riders in one punch, and going flat out for 15 kilometres (he lost radio contact with his car with 3-4K to go, and had to ask the camera MC for the time).
This young generation of Danish pro riders is looking very good. And I expect to see some top placements in the classics, especially from Søren, and Mads P, the world champion.

Bennet (or his sporting directors) did a great strategic job on closing the green jersey. And Valverde is just a phenomenon in cycling - with a proper team behind him, I'm sure he could have won the Tour in his prime.

I do think we've seen some good sprint finishes this year. And today's stage was a total anomaly caused by the race for the green jersey being so tight. The Danish commentators (two of which are former pro tour riders) hadn't seen anything like it. Also, I think Ewan may either be sick, injured, or fatigued. He was planted on a hill where the peloton took a pee break today - not a sign of being in good shape.
But none of the”pure” sprinters did well here. Where was Kristoff besides his rain aided stage 1 win? Viviani never was close, neither was Colbrelli or Cochard. Ewan barely made the time limits and was a non factor in anything but a super flat ride.

I don’t know, I think things are changing. To many teams want to break up the sprint finishes these days, where in days past, they were happy to lay back and give the sprinters there day. Guys that can sprint, but also get over the hills like Sagan, Van Avermat and yes, Anderson, have changed everything.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This year I think it's a combination of some of the sprinters being past their prime, and their teams having other priorities. I think that in the next few years a new generation of sprinters will take over the scene.
But you may be right in that the flat stages will be dominated by puncheurs in the future (which wouldn't bother me one bit - today's stage was some of the best cycling I've seen).

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's also fewer sprint stages in this year's tour. At least that's what Phil and Bob and Chris and Chris have said, it's not like I've gone and looked at the various stages this year and compared them to previous years. Maybe Ewan's been saving himself and will be right there contending Sunday on the Champs.

I'm not a general cycling fan, I don't follow the sport the rest of the year but I love the TdF. I've really enjoyed this year with some new faces and not the same old Sky/Ineos domination.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's also fewer sprint stages in this year's tour. At least that's what Phil and Bob and Chris and Chris have said, it's not like I've gone and looked at the various stages this year and compared them to previous years. Maybe Ewan's been saving himself and will be right there contending Sunday on the Champs.

I'm not a general cycling fan, I don't follow the sport the rest of the year but I love the TdF. I've really enjoyed this year with some new faces and not the same old Sky/Ineos domination.
You could be right, a win down the Champs is always special, so we’ll see, but my money is on Bennett for the win, although my heart is with Trentin...